Windows 10: Can't select a drive to install game to

Discus and support Can't select a drive to install game to in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; So I'm signed in to my main pc with my Microsoft account and I open the Microsoft store, for some reason when I try to download and install The Elder... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by RossBarnes, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Can't select a drive to install game to

So I'm signed in to my main pc with my Microsoft account and I open the Microsoft store, for some reason when I try to download and install The Elder Scrolls Tamriel Unlimited, I get a pop up telling me that I don't have any applicable devices linked to my microsoft account and that to install I need to sign in on a device with my microsoft account...?

Weirdly, I can install games like killer Instinct definitive edition just fine from the store from the same pc. -and when I look and linked devices on my account the PC I'm using is one of them its only this computer and my laptop I use and they're both there.... what's going on??

:)

RossBarnes, Oct 10, 2019

2. installing a game

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.
    We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Please try the steps given below and check if the issue persists:

Step 1:

I suggest you to right click on the game and try to run as administrator and check.

Step 2: if that doesn't help I suggest you to install game in compatibility mode and check:

Follow the steps below on how to install game in compatibility mode:

1. Download the game from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the game and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the game install and then check the functionality.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Venkatesh1709, Oct 10, 2019
  3. Installing to a second Drive. D: or external (Non Boot up Drives)

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are looking for an option to move the game location from the C drive to the Drive D, which is an external drive.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if that resolves your issue on both laptop and Desktop.

1. As usual install the game on the PC’s in
      C Drive.
    2. Insert the external
      D drive
      to the PC.
    3. Press Windows + I key from the keyboard to launch
      Settings.
    4. Select Apps and click on
      Apps & features
      from the left pane.
    5. Search for the installed game from the list on the right pane.
    6. Single click on the game and select
      Move.
    7. Select the D drive under
      Choose a drive
      where you want to move the game.
    8. Restart the PC with the external drive connected and then launch the game.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Oct 10, 2019
  4. W1zzard Win User

Can't select a drive to install game to

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

Can't select a drive to install game to

1. Can't select a drive to install game to - Similar Threads - Can't select drive

2. Can't install game on extended drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install game on extended drive?: I am trying to download Fallout 76 on my extended storage Seagate device. It will not appear on my available storage devices. I have already tried changing it to my default download location. I read on similar question forum that the problem is that the drive has a...
  3. Can't install game on extended drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't install game on extended drive?: I am trying to download Fallout 76 on my extended storage Seagate device. It will not appear on my available storage devices. I have already tried changing it to my default download location. I read on similar question forum that the problem is that the drive has a...
  4. Can’t select external drive when installing a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t select external drive when installing a game: I cannot change the install location on the Xbox App. I go into the Xbox App settings and change the install path to my E: Drive, but when I try to install a game, a window asking me to choose a drive pops up and the only option in the C: Drive. I’ve also tried changing the...
  5. Can’t select external drive when installing a game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t select external drive when installing a game: I cannot change the install location on the Xbox App. I go into the Xbox App settings and change the install path to my E: Drive, but when I try to install a game, a window asking me to choose a drive pops up and the only option in the C: Drive. I’ve also tried changing the...
  6. Can't select a new drive for installing apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't select a new drive for installing apps: Hello,I've been trying to fix this problem for days now, I own the Game Pass for PC and I'm trying to install games to my 1TB SSD.Currently, I have a different SSD 128gb as the default save location for new apps it already has 1 game installed from the Xbox app and when I try...
  7. Can't select proper drive for Game download on Microsoft store.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't select proper drive for Game download on Microsoft store.: I am currently trying to install Forza Horizon 4 on my PC. I own the game, and when I click the install button it prompts me to choose which drive I would like to install the game on. Every time I try and choose the drive I want and hit install, the button goes grey for a...
  8. Can't install games on another drive

Can't install games on another drive: Hello, When I wanted to reinstall Forza Horizon 4 again on my PC after I've formatted the drive wanted to clean it up I couldn't install the game on my d: drive. I want to install it there as my c: drive is just a 120GB SSD used for Windows. When I want to click on the blue...
  9. Xbox Game Pass for PC Beta - Can't select my d: drive to install games

Xbox Game Pass for PC Beta - Can't select my d: drive to install games: I recently bought the game pass for my pc, but it has a small internal hdd so I normally download apps to my portable hdd and it is selected for all app downloads. When I try to download a game from the game pass only the c: drive shows and not d:.[ATTACH]...
  10. Can't select a different drive to install app/games from Microsoft Store

Can't select a different drive to install app/games from Microsoft Store: Can't install Forza Horizon 4 on D: or even E:, have just 3 options as shown in the pic. Followed all the steps mentioned here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-download-to-hdd-through-microsoft-store/3c478900-142c-4f10-b4aa-ebcae323241f Still...