Windows 10: Can't select a new drive for installing apps

Discus and support Can't select a new drive for installing apps in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello,I've been trying to fix this problem for days now, I own the Game Pass for PC and I'm trying to install games to my 1TB SSD.Currently, I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Jaxsolton, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Jaxsolton Win User

Can't select a new drive for installing apps

Hello,I've been trying to fix this problem for days now, I own the Game Pass for PC and I'm trying to install games to my 1TB SSD.Currently, I have a different SSD 128gb as the default save location for new apps it already has 1 game installed from the Xbox app and when I try to select my other SSD that I want to use, I get an error code "0x8007005". I've tried giving the SSD I want to change it to full control in the permissoins, I tried asking a support advisor and they told me to do what I've already done and then just disconnected on me. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue? I

:)

Jaxsolton, Jun 21, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jun 21, 2021
  3. New 4TB drive install..

So I understand ...
    The cloning initialized the drive as GPT and only got so far before failing to read the source drive - right?

You said: Then I remembered something in the back of me head about empty unformatted drive I new then I was stuck
    IF you installed clean to unallocated space on the 4 TB drive - everything should be easy.

If the cloning process created the 4 hidden partitions, I'd suggest that you re-install on an empty drive.

I'd like to see how the 4 TB drive is partitioned now.

To make it easy use my custom Disk Management snapin - it displays what I'd like to see.

If you already downloaded the snapin, go to Step 2

Step 1: Download this zip file (contains dmDskmgr-vd.mmc)

dmDskmgr-vd.zip
    Step 2: Double click dmDskmgr-vd.zip to open the compressed folder
    Double click dmDskmgr-vd.mmc to launch the custom Disk Management console
    You'll get an output similar to this:

Can't select a new drive for installing apps [​IMG]

Press Alt+PrtScn to grab a snapshot of just the Disk Management window
    Open Paint and Ctrl+V to paste it, then save the image
    Attach the image to a new post.

You can also use Disk Management in the x-Menu (right click the Windows logo, select Disk Management)
    Select View > Bottom > Disk list
    Maximize the window and grab the screen shot.

We'll go from there.

Yes computing is fun, I spent my corporate career in the industry - laughed for 50 years, still laughing
    *Roflmao2

Bill

Slartybart, Jun 21, 2021
  4. Can't select a new drive for installing apps

Windows 10 app saving to drives

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Let me help you to fix the issue.

Let’s try simple steps and check if this helps. Since move option is greyed out, I would suggest you to un-install and reinstall the game and check. Follow the below steps.

• Go to Settings and select System.

• Click on App & Features, click on game and uninstall the game.

• Now click on Storage and select a drive on
      New apps will save to.

• Try re-installing the game again and check.
    Hope this helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jun 21, 2021
Thema:

Can't select a new drive for installing apps

1. Can't select a new drive for installing apps - Similar Threads - Can't select drive

2. Can't install Killer instinct on app store on selected drive and windows now will only...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't install Killer instinct on app store on selected drive and windows now will only...: I own Killer Instinct on my Microsoft account. My largest drive I: can not be set in the storage option in settings. I tried to install KI to the I: drive manually and of course, it failed. I now can't install it to my G: drive where I have to save windows apps. The app store...
  3. Can't install Killer instinct on app store on selected drive and windows now will only...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install Killer instinct on app store on selected drive and windows now will only...: I own Killer Instinct on my Microsoft account. My largest drive I: can not be set in the storage option in settings. I tried to install KI to the I: drive manually and of course, it failed. I now can't install it to my G: drive where I have to save windows apps. The app store...
  4. Can't install Killer instinct on app store on selected drive and windows now will only...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. xbox app no longer allowing me to select a drive to install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    xbox app no longer allowing me to select a drive to install: At some point recently, I don't know exactly when, I'm no longer allowed to select a drive to install my games on via the xbox app in windows 10.I have all the latest windows updates, and have tried the tricks of changing the "installed apps" location in settings, uninstall...
  6. Can't install app to D: drive

Can't install app to D: drive: Please, before I start, do not tell me to go to Storge > Change where new apps are saved. I have tried all the basic troubleshooting. This is what that screen looks like when I try to drop the menu down to select a drive: https://imgur.com/9qIGDaK So how do I fix this?...
  7. Can't install apps on D:\ drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install apps on D:\ drive: I went to install Halo 2: Anniversary, and I wanted to install it on my D: drive so I don't fill up my C:, and it won't let me.[ATTACH] So I click "Set it as your location for where new apps are saved", and it takes me here. [ATTACH] I switch it to D: and it shows me this...
  8. I can't install windows apps on my new hard drive

I can't install windows apps on my new hard drive: Hello everyone ! So I have a big problem right now, I can install apps and games on every hard drive I got, except the latest one I had a month ago, I get error 0x80070057 whenever I try to install things from windows store or Xbox beta app on it I can install anything from...
  9. Can't select a drive to install game to

Can't select a drive to install game to: So I'm signed in to my main pc with my Microsoft account and I open the Microsoft store, for some reason when I try to download and install The Elder Scrolls Tamriel Unlimited, I get a pop up telling me that I don't have any applicable devices linked to my microsoft account...
  10. Can't select a different drive to install app/games from Microsoft Store

Can't select a different drive to install app/games from Microsoft Store: Can't install Forza Horizon 4 on D: or even E:, have just 3 options as shown in the pic. Followed all the steps mentioned here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-download-to-hdd-through-microsoft-store/3c478900-142c-4f10-b4aa-ebcae323241f Still...