Windows 10: Can't select multiple Microsoft files in File Explorer

Discus and support Can't select multiple Microsoft files in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can't select multiple Microsoft files in File Explorer. I select a file and my whole computer lags / freezes. It does select eventually. I go to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rb_2020, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Rb_2020 Win User

Can't select multiple Microsoft files in File Explorer

I can't select multiple Microsoft files in File Explorer. I select a file and my whole computer lags / freezes. It does select eventually. I go to select while pressing shift and my whole computer freezes again and the action isn't completed. It's only Microsoft files. I can select multiple folders and other types of files without any lagging. I just re downloaded Microsoft Office recently. Don't know if that's what caused this. I did try to delete any old Microsoft application files before re-downloading. This is a recent issue, I downloaded Microsoft Office on a Monday and this became an issue on a Friday. I dont remember doing anything that could have caused this.

I don't know if this is connect but I got this error. Can't select multiple Microsoft files in File Explorer 6f423d70-aabd-4683-bb95-7a05e45994a1?upload=true.jpg

I followed the solution from here:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/word/word-could-not-create-the-work-file#:~:text=When%20you%20save%20a%20document%20in%20Microsoft%20Word%2C%20you%20receive,to%20create%20new%20temporary%20files. I dont get the error anymore but I still cant select multiple MS files.

I've reset File Explorer and it's settings. Didn't work.

Thanks for the future help.

:)

Rb_2020, Sep 28, 2020
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Sep 28, 2020
  3. TDB_1978 Win User
    In File Explorer, can no longer see selected files (not hilighted)

In File Explorer, when I select a file in the list, it used to hilight so you could tell, but since recently installing Updates (January 2019) you cannot see what files you have selected. This is a problem when copying multiple files since you cannot
    tell if you have all of the intended files selected or not. How do I fix this?

TDB_1978, Sep 28, 2020
  4. desibabu Win User

Problems selecting multiple files in file explorer

While in file explorer (fe) I start by selecting the first file, press the shift key and start to scroll down using the down arrow key in order to select multiple files - by the time I've got to the 10th file the first x files have been automatically unselected
    - the x is a variable sometimes all of the above files have been unselected and not necessarily consecutive files have been unselected its totally random.

HOWEVER - if I click the down arrow key very slowly one file at a time - they remain selected.

This is a DELL laptop with the latest windows 10 (loaded laptop i7, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd etc.

Anyone encountered this?

desibabu, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't select multiple Microsoft files in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Can't select multiple

2. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't select multiple files in file explorer: Hi, I have an issue where I can't select multiple files in file explorer. This problem only occurs in the small window that web browsers give you to upload a file to a website. I also can't select a time range by clicking the titleex: all the files i downloaded today,...
  3. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't select multiple files in file explorer: Hi, I have an issue where I can't select multiple files in file explorer. This problem only occurs in the small window that web browsers give you to upload a file to a website. I also can't select a time range by clicking the titleex: all the files i downloaded today,...
  4. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.

File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.: First of all, this is the first time that i write something like this. When I select multiple files in File explorer it crashes. This does not happen immediately though, selecting 2 or 3 files usualy is fine, the crash usualy occurs when i select around 5-7 files or more the...
  6. File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.: First of all, this is the first time that i write something like this. When I select multiple files in File explorer it crashes. This does not happen immediately though, selecting 2 or 3 files usualy is fine, the crash usualy occurs when i select around 5-7 files or more the...
  7. File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Problem: Automatically selecting multiple files in File Explorer.

Problem: Automatically selecting multiple files in File Explorer.: Hi For some reason my computer which runs Windows 10 started to select multiple files in File Explorer automatically. For example, when I single click a file followed by single clicking a file 5 positions below, all 6 files are highlighted the behavior that would have been...
  9. a way to select multiple files on a rule in explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    a way to select multiple files on a rule in explorer: animated cg, but only animation not the model from rendering. it's over 2000 frames, lots of excess so reduce file size and it would still look smooth. 2000 frame animation for game has many facing angle so it is repetitive, and a single set rule (which I could adjust) of...
  10. Problem selecting multiple files in Windows explorer

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Problem selecting multiple files in Windows explorer: I'm using a new laptop running on Windows 10 64-bit. Since installing Office 2019 I have been having a few problems. The first problem is that I cannot select multiple Office files in Windows explorer. If I try, explorer freezes for about 15 seconds and then reverts back to...