Windows 10: Can't set/change default app on .txt files

Discus and support Can't set/change default app on .txt files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This started a few days ago and I reinstalled Windows earlier in the hopes that would fix it, but it didn't. I have no idea what caused this, either-... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Mrs0Murder, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Can't set/change default app on .txt files

This started a few days ago and I reinstalled Windows earlier in the hopes that would fix it, but it didn't. I have no idea what caused this, either-

Certain files, in particular any that can open in notepad (or sublime 3, as I prefer), just shows up as a blank icon and asks me what app to open with each time I click on it. I can't set the default through right click (here). If I try to save the file as, say plain text, it doesn't do anything different. If I change the default app for .txt through the settings to open with a specific program, it doesn't change.

submitted by /u/Mrs0Murder
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Mrs0Murder, Dec 1, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Not able to set word as by default for .txt & .text type file

Hi Ishan

If Word or Office does need to be repaired, then use these steps:

Open the Settings App (gear icon on your Start Menu)

Go to Apps, then scroll down to find Microsoft Office

Select that and choose Modify - Online Repair

That is a comprehensive fix

That should fix any issues with your Office Installation . . .

To set Word as the default app for txt files:

Right click any text file and choose Properties

At the top of the resulting dialog, click Change

Is Word one of the options available in the list?

If not:

Right click a txt file, choose 'Open With' - Choose Another App

Important - Check the box marked 'Always use this app to open .txt . . .'

If Word is not in the list, scroll to the bottom and click 'More Apps'

Again if Word is not in the list, at the bottom, click 'Look for another app on this PC', then navigate to find the Word executable . . .

DaveM121, Dec 1, 2020
  3. Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Dec 1, 2020
  4. Can't set/change default app on .txt files

When i click on a txt file it print by default.

Hi Gerald,

Based on the details that you have provided, certain changes with the default action when clicking a .txt file may be caused by registry modification or other changes made to your PC settings. To help us identify the solution to your concern, we'd like to
    gather additional information. Please answer the following:

• Have you made any recent changes or applied updates before this issue occurred?
    • Is this only isolated to .txt files or there are other files that don't show the default action?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    We look forward to your response.

Jennifer Cha, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

Can't set/change default app on .txt files

1. Can't set/change default app on .txt files - Similar Threads - Can't set change

2. Change default file type from *.txt to ALL FILES in notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default file type from *.txt to ALL FILES in notepad: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-file-type-from-txt-to-all-files-in/1baf2d3a-cd93-4ddc-b021-7e58e48c7693I found an answer far more helpful than this one.I turned to a scripting solution. Use AutoHotkey to do this.Loop{WinWaitActive, Open...
  3. Change default file type from *.txt to ALL FILES in notepad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default file type from *.txt to ALL FILES in notepad: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-file-type-from-txt-to-all-files-in/1baf2d3a-cd93-4ddc-b021-7e58e48c7693I found an answer far more helpful than this one.I turned to a scripting solution. Use AutoHotkey to do this.Loop{WinWaitActive, Open...
  4. i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor: HI, i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor by accident and now there isn't .txt at the end of a text file when i make a new one so if i want to make python code i would need to replace the .txt with .py but i cant do that anymore does anybody know how to fix...
  5. Not able to set word as by default for .txt & .text type file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not able to set word as by default for .txt & .text type file: Hi. I am not able to set choose default apps by file type fot .txt there they show wordpad by default. i want to set word to open .txt fype but not able to change & i also have one error show when i open word file and that error is "Microsoft Word 16.0: We're sorry but...
  6. Cannot change the default app for txt documents - broken windows

Cannot change the default app for txt documents - broken windows: Hello people. See the video I made, I cannot get Windows 10 to save my chosen text reading app as default. It works on my other systems. Is this some sort of lame limitation on windows Home edition? https://videoblurb.com/mp/default-apps-not-working-windows-10.webm PS...
  7. Can't set default app for java and txt files

Can't set default app for java and txt files: I reset the default apps to Microsoft recommended apps. Now when I try to change the default app for txt files. It is not changing and the logo is also not changing. I tried with java also, but it is not changing. Most of the apps it is changing. Even after changing to...
  8. Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt

Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt: The version of Windows 10 Home I am using will not allow me to assign TED Notepad as the default app for opening .txt files. I am instead stuck with the standard (and inferior) Notepad. To use TED Notepad, I am forced to invoke it manually every time I open a .txt file. A...
  9. Can't set default app for .xml files

Can't set default app for .xml files: I'm using Windows 10, version 1803. I'm trying to set Notepad++ as my default editor for .xml files, without success. I tried: - Open with ..., "Choose another app" and then check the "Always use the app to open .xml file" checkbox. It opens just once in Notepad++, but...
  10. 1803 - Can't set vim as default app for .txt, .log, or .ini files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    1803 - Can't set vim as default app for .txt, .log, or .ini files.: I've tried doing it the same way I've done in the past - right click, open with, check the box to "always use this program." It opens in the requested program, but doesn't change the default. Okay. Fine. I go into settings to choose default apps by file type. Scroll down to...