Windows 10: Can't set default app for java and txt files

Discus and support Can't set default app for java and txt files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I reset the default apps to Microsoft recommended apps. Now when I try to change the default app for txt files. It is not changing and the logo is also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Vaidee23, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Vaidee23 Win User

Can't set default app for java and txt files

I reset the default apps to Microsoft recommended apps. Now when I try to change the default app for txt files. It is not changing and the logo is also not changing. I tried with java also, but it is not changing. Most of the apps it is changing. Even after changing to sublime it is not changing. Help me!

Can't set default app for java and txt files d1b87a73-8f5a-4567-b71a-435f11a3b1c7?upload=true.png Can't set default app for java and txt files 1450e1fd-89d6-444a-b093-ed11f843993e?upload=true.png

:)

Vaidee23, Nov 9, 2018

2. When i click on a txt file it print by default.

Hi Gerald,

Based on the details that you have provided, certain changes with the default action when clicking a .txt file may be caused by registry modification or other changes made to your PC settings. To help us identify the solution to your concern, we'd like to
    gather additional information. Please answer the following:

• Have you made any recent changes or applied updates before this issue occurred?
    • Is this only isolated to .txt files or there are other files that don't show the default action?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    We look forward to your response.

Jennifer Cha, Nov 9, 2018
  3. When i click on a txt file it print by default.

• Have you made any recent changes or applied updates before this issue occurred?
    I cant pin point to any one change. Several changes were recently made to this PC. I dont know when it started.

• Is this only isolated to .txt files or there are other files that don't show the default action?
    Its just txt

• What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    Windows 10 Pro

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    tired to find the solution on the internet.. cant find one for windows 10

Gerald Talley, Nov 9, 2018
  4. dark2099 Win User

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't set default app for java and txt files - Similar Threads - Can't set default

2. i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor: HI, i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor by accident and now there isn't .txt at the end of a text file when i make a new one so if i want to make python code i would need to replace the .txt with .py but i cant do that anymore does anybody know how to fix...
  3. Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default: I have Windows 10 Home, on an HP Pavilion.Anyway, today I downloaded a .jar file, and whenever I double-clicked on it, it would not open automatically. When right clicking on the .jar file and selecting "open with", "JavaTM Platform SE binary" would not show up. Yes, I have...
  4. Can't set/change default app on .txt files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't set/change default app on .txt files: This started a few days ago and I reinstalled Windows earlier in the hopes that would fix it, but it didn't. I have no idea what caused this, either- Certain files, in particular any that can open in notepad (or sublime 3, as I prefer), just shows up as a blank icon and asks...
  5. Not able to set word as by default for .txt & .text type file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not able to set word as by default for .txt & .text type file: Hi. I am not able to set choose default apps by file type fot .txt there they show wordpad by default. i want to set word to open .txt fype but not able to change & i also have one error show when i open word file and that error is "Microsoft Word 16.0: We're sorry but...
  6. Setting Defaults by App or File

Setting Defaults by App or File: I recently bought a new 1Tb SSD drive to use as my system drive, I have been trying to associate opening of xml files in either Notepad++ or Sublime Text 3 I have seen many "Solutions" through Google however none seem to work for me. The "Set defaults by app" doesn't show...
  7. Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt

Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt: The version of Windows 10 Home I am using will not allow me to assign TED Notepad as the default app for opening .txt files. I am instead stuck with the standard (and inferior) Notepad. To use TED Notepad, I am forced to invoke it manually every time I open a .txt file. A...
  8. can't set default apps

can't set default apps: Hi, I just did a clean install of windows 10 on both my pc and laptop (downloaded the install tool, it installed 1803, not 1809, winver says compile 17134.376) and now I can't set default apps on both machines. nothing happens if I click a file and choose "open with" and...
  9. Can't set default app for .xml files

Can't set default app for .xml files: I'm using Windows 10, version 1803. I'm trying to set Notepad++ as my default editor for .xml files, without success. I tried: - Open with ..., "Choose another app" and then check the "Always use the app to open .xml file" checkbox. It opens just once in Notepad++, but...
  10. 1803 - Can't set vim as default app for .txt, .log, or .ini files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    1803 - Can't set vim as default app for .txt, .log, or .ini files.: I've tried doing it the same way I've done in the past - right click, open with, check the box to "always use this program." It opens in the requested program, but doesn't change the default. Okay. Fine. I go into settings to choose default apps by file type. Scroll down to...