Windows 10: Can't set default app for .xml files

Discus and support Can't set default app for .xml files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10, version 1803. I'm trying to set Notepad++ as my default editor for .xml files, without success. I tried: - Open with ...,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by R#V#, Oct 24, 2018.

1. R#V# Win User

Can't set default app for .xml files

I'm using Windows 10, version 1803.

I'm trying to set Notepad++ as my default editor for .xml files, without success.

I tried:

- Open with ..., "Choose another app" and then check the "Always use the app to open .xml file" checkbox. It opens just once in Notepad++, but defaults to IE11 after that.

- Control panel, search for default programs, "Set your default programs", "Choose default apps by file type". After scrolling to .xml, I tried to change Office XML Handler to Notepad++, but it won't let me. Changing to the regular notepad isn't possible either.

How do I proceed?

Thanks

:)

2. Windows 10 - how to open an XML file by default USING the correct M/S program (XLS, DOC or PPT)?

This is not <quite> the answer, but solved an issue very similar. On a new W10 I needed to set the default app for .xml files to IE. All suggestions using settings did not allow me to specify IE. The only way I found to do this was to locate (any) .xml
    file then 'open with'. Then 'Choose another app'. Then scroll to the bottom of the list and select 'another app'. Finally IE appeared in the list and I could set IE as the default. Obviously this should apply to most other apps.

IanPatterson2, Oct 24, 2018
  3. How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 24, 2018
  4. Can't set default app for .xml files

When downloading XML files, no "open" button is present, only "save as" or cancel

Hi LetsFigureItOut,

If you can't open an .xml file directly from Internet Explorer after downloading it, you can try changing the default app by file type from the settings. Here's how:

• Go to Settings > Apps > Default apps.
    • Select Change default apps by file type.
    • Scroll down to .xml then change the default app to Internet Explorer.

Let us know how it goes.

Adrianne Buc, Oct 24, 2018
Thema:

Can't set default app for .xml files

1. Can't set default app for .xml files - Similar Threads - Can't set default

2. Why can't I set a default App for .bat files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I set a default App for .bat files?: I have read this question, as I also use vim for my editinghttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-default-app-for-filetypes-not-listed/b01cb589-f8e2-4186-a0f6-02ee0f15babeand searched and you can change the default open app for .bat files but have...
  3. Why can't I set a default App for .bat files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I set a default App for .bat files?: I have read this question, as I also use vim for my editinghttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-default-app-for-filetypes-not-listed/b01cb589-f8e2-4186-a0f6-02ee0f15babeand searched and you can change the default open app for .bat files but have...
  4. XML Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    XML Files: Hi folks! Just registered to this forum and glad to have found it. So I was installing Ubuntu on my computer which already had windows 10.I wanted to have a dual OS. Things went south and windows got deleted/ over written or whatever. I used a hard drive recovery device to...
  5. Can't set/change default app on .txt files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't set/change default app on .txt files: This started a few days ago and I reinstalled Windows earlier in the hopes that would fix it, but it didn't. I have no idea what caused this, either- Certain files, in particular any that can open in notepad (or sublime 3, as I prefer), just shows up as a blank icon and asks...
  6. Set default app for .file type file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set default app for .file type file: how to set default app for .file type file we can right click on it and open with but set default option is not available. Please suggest https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-default-app-for-file-type-file/c449afd5-2eff-4f3b-8faf-8ce7ced50f30
  7. Setting Defaults by App or File

Setting Defaults by App or File: I recently bought a new 1Tb SSD drive to use as my system drive, I have been trying to associate opening of xml files in either Notepad++ or Sublime Text 3 I have seen many "Solutions" through Google however none seem to work for me. The "Set defaults by app" doesn't show...
  8. Can't set default app for java and txt files

Can't set default app for java and txt files: I reset the default apps to Microsoft recommended apps. Now when I try to change the default app for txt files. It is not changing and the logo is also not changing. I tried with java also, but it is not changing. Most of the apps it is changing. Even after changing to...
  9. can't set default apps

can't set default apps: Hi, I just did a clean install of windows 10 on both my pc and laptop (downloaded the install tool, it installed 1803, not 1809, winver says compile 17134.376) and now I can't set default apps on both machines. nothing happens if I click a file and choose "open with" and...
  10. Setting default app with "Select File"

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting default app with "Select File": Back when I ran Windows 7 and before i was made to update to Windows 10 because I built a Ryzen system, I could set a default app by clicking a button that would open the file explorer and letting me select the executable. I am not seeing that in Windows 10, how do I select...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant choose a default xml

2. cant set firefox as default for xml