Windows 10: Can't set Notepad as default app for .nfo files. Says "Application Not Found"

Discus and support Can't set Notepad as default app for .nfo files. Says "Application Not Found" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've tried going into the settings and default apps, and selecting Notepad. When I click it, it does exactly nothing. I've also tried to write the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jinx.1, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Jinx.1 Win User

Can't set Notepad as default app for .nfo files. Says "Application Not Found"

I've tried going into the settings and default apps, and selecting Notepad. When I click it, it does exactly nothing.

I've also tried to write the Assoc/ftype command in administrator mode: ftype MSInfoFile="%SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1" which also didn't help.

I've also tried to right click a .NFO file and selected always open with, which also didn't help.

I checked the registry database in administrative mode to see if the path was correct under: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Notepad.exe\shell\open\command, which is was. Not that I was allowed to edit the default path if it hadn't been.

I don't know what else to do. It's completely unacceptable that I can't change the default program to notepad, which actually reads the .nfo files I have correctly. They're essentially just notepad documents with a different file format. Coming from windows 7 less than a week ago, I find this utter lack of control completely unacceptable. Anyone have a solution for me? I'm running Windows 10 Home.

:)

Jinx.1, Nov 5, 2018
  2. Gowrish_S Win User

Setting my Default Apps wont work for some apps.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please try these steps and let us know-

1. Right click on the folder you want to open withy Notepad++.
    2. Click on Open with and select the option Choose another apps.
    3. Select the application you want it to open with and select the checkbox which says “Always choose this application to open this file”.

You can also manually
    Change default programs in Windows 10
    by using the Settings menu.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Regards,

Gowrish S

Microsoft Community –Moderator

Gowrish_S, Nov 5, 2018
  3. How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 5, 2018
  4. Mithin_EJ Win User

Unable to alter default apps for opening files to specific applications

Hi Keegan Sanchez,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

I would like you to try the following steps:

· On the start menu, select settings.

· Select Apps and then select Default apps.

· To choose a default apps for each file type (for example, .mp3 files), scroll down to the file type and click on the app which is currently set as default.

· You will see the list of all the applications which can be associated with that file type. You may chose the application from that list.

Try with the above steps, and let us know, if you can alter default apps opening files, we look forward for your reply.

You can also refer this link:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028161/windows-10-change-default-programs

Hope it helps,

Mithin EJ

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mithin_EJ, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't set Notepad as default app for .nfo files. Says "Application Not Found" - Similar Threads - Can't set Notepad

2. Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.: As the subject says, I set the app that .jar files open with to Notepad. Now, whenever I try to run the files, I get the error "'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I fiddled around with it for a while, but I was unable...
  3. Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.: As the subject says, I set the app that .jar files open with to Notepad. Now, whenever I try to run the files, I get the error "'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I fiddled around with it for a while, but I was unable...
  4. Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't set/change default app on .txt files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't set/change default app on .txt files: This started a few days ago and I reinstalled Windows earlier in the hopes that would fix it, but it didn't. I have no idea what caused this, either- Certain files, in particular any that can open in notepad (or sublime 3, as I prefer), just shows up as a blank icon and asks...
  6. default HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT values for .nfo?

default HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT values for .nfo?: Hello, After having uninstalled a program which associated itself with .nfo files, the association remains and while I can use assoc .nfo=MSInfoFile to mend this, the values of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.nfo\DefaultIcon and \Shell\Open\Command values are still pointing towards the...
  7. Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default: Hi ! Strange problem I have... I used to always open .srt files (mainly movie subtitles) with the notepad, but I installed a new application (a media player called PotPlayer). It became the default application for .srt files, but I just can't make the notepad to be the...
  8. Make notepad the default app for .m3u files

Make notepad the default app for .m3u files: How do I set notepad to be the default app to open m3u files? All of the routes I've tried so far don't work. i.e. via settings, control panel and the target file's properties panel....
  9. can't set default apps

can't set default apps: Hi, I just did a clean install of windows 10 on both my pc and laptop (downloaded the install tool, it installed 1803, not 1809, winver says compile 17134.376) and now I can't set default apps on both machines. nothing happens if I click a file and choose "open with" and...
  10. Can't set default app for .xml files

Can't set default app for .xml files: I'm using Windows 10, version 1803. I'm trying to set Notepad++ as my default editor for .xml files, without success. I tried: - Open with ..., "Choose another app" and then check the "Always use the app to open .xml file" checkbox. It opens just once in Notepad++, but...