Windows 10: Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default

Discus and support Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi ! Strange problem I have... I used to always open .srt files (mainly movie subtitles) with the notepad, but I installed a new application (a media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Zelda7KP, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Zelda7KP Win User

Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default

Hi !

Strange problem I have... I used to always open .srt files (mainly movie subtitles) with the notepad, but I installed a new application (a media player called PotPlayer). It became the default application for .srt files, but I just can't make the notepad to be the default srt app again it's incredible. I disabled the .str association on the player and tried to set the notepad by default by right-clicking on an .str file but it doesn't work. I even tried this in the control panel, but when I choose the notepad as a default app for .srt files, nothing happens.

I didn't have the notepad icon for srt. files then, it's just the "blank page" icon. I have to right click each time on an .srt files and choose "open with notepad", it opens with notepad but I just can't make it open by default with it...

This is weird, do you have any idea ? Thanks !

:)

Zelda7KP, Dec 3, 2018

2. .srt file opens in Notepad

its open in notepad way , the file format in srt

seemon stark, Dec 3, 2018
  3. .srt file opens in Notepad

Hi, Seemon.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. Does the srt file open in notepad when you click on it?

2. Is the file format of the document in .srt or .txt?

I would suggest that you right click on the file, click on Properties and check the file format of the document. Any
    srt file ideally opens in notepad if you directly click on the file, this is the nature of the document itself. However if the format is in
    .txt it means that you may have made some unknown changes to the file and saved it as a notepad document.

Hope this information helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Dec 3, 2018
  4. Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default

Set default program to srt file.

I accidently set an srt file type to open with Notepad. I want to set the default program and i have tried everything that i saw on the internet. I also have windows 10. Thanks!

NikosPetrakos, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default

1. Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default - Similar Threads - Can't set notepad

2. SRT files keep opening in Browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SRT files keep opening in Browser: So, when I download an srt file it keeps opening up in my browser. I am trying to set it so it stops doing that but, I honestly don't know how. I used SRT files with my VLC player so can someone help me figure out how to stop having the SRT files open in Firefox? I have...
  3. Notepad default print settings changes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Notepad default print settings changes: I have fixed notepad print settings using administrator login, now when I log in to standard user this settings changes and reset to default. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-default-print-settings-changes/03026f9e-d6ad-4d4d-ba38-2d34b6197cb6
  4. Files opening with Notepad

Files opening with Notepad: i have a issue where all my .rpf files are opening with notepad. how would i get them back to normal? the icon was a white piece of paper before if its any help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-opening-with-notepad/97a85f6f-c2f4-43a6-9c92-1e4e69ddaf28
  5. .exe files opening in notepad

in Windows 10 Customization
    .exe files opening in notepad: Hey, I was just trying to download a .exe file the other day, and accidentally clicked an option that made it so that every file I now open is opened with notepad. If there is any way to fix this, I would be very happy. Thanks....
  6. set file open with default

set file open with default: How do you set the default program to open a file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-file-open-with-default/7037987b-12e8-4e04-ad36-983ae85bfd65
  7. Can't set default apps to open filetypes

Can't set default apps to open filetypes: It is completely impossible for me to change or set a default program for any files. The "Open With" window doesn't function and the "Choose default apps by file type" just freezes and doesn't change any time I set a default program....
  8. Can't set Notepad as default app for .nfo files. Says "Application Not Found"

Can't set Notepad as default app for .nfo files. Says "Application Not Found": I've tried going into the settings and default apps, and selecting Notepad. When I click it, it does exactly nothing. I've also tried to write the Assoc/ftype command in administrator mode: ftype MSInfoFile="%SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1" which also didn't help....
  9. .smod file type accidently set to "open with" Notepad

.smod file type accidently set to "open with" Notepad: Well...… from what the subject says, I am stuck with a notepad being stuck to the .smod file association. The problem is I have no way to set it back to default, even when going into the registry. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] There are no guides I could find, no File association...
  10. Set ".manifest" file to open with Notepad. Will it cause problem ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Set ".manifest" file to open with Notepad. Will it cause problem ?: I have associated ".manifest" file to open with Notepad. Will this cause a problem ? I have been playing around with some manifest files and have accidentally associated to open with Notepad by default. Prior to this it had no default programme associated with it, at...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to make notepad to be default for a .srt file windows 10

2. windows 10 cant set notepad as default

3. how to set notepad to open files