Windows 10: Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default

Discus and support Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi ! Strange problem I have... I used to always open .srt files (mainly movie subtitles) with the notepad, but I installed a new application (a media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Zelda7KP, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Zelda7KP Win User

Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default

Hi !

Strange problem I have... I used to always open .srt files (mainly movie subtitles) with the notepad, but I installed a new application (a media player called PotPlayer). It became the default application for .srt files, but I just can't make the notepad to be the default srt app again it's incredible. I disabled the .str association on the player and tried to set the notepad by default by right-clicking on an .str file but it doesn't work. I even tried this in the control panel, but when I choose the notepad as a default app for .srt files, nothing happens.

I didn't have the notepad icon for srt. files then, it's just the "blank page" icon. I have to right click each time on an .srt files and choose "open with notepad", it opens with notepad but I just can't make it open by default with it...

This is weird, do you have any idea ? Thanks !

:)

Zelda7KP, Dec 3, 2018

2. .srt file opens in Notepad

its open in notepad way , the file format in srt

seemon stark, Dec 3, 2018
  3. .srt file opens in Notepad

Hi, Seemon.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. Does the srt file open in notepad when you click on it?

2. Is the file format of the document in .srt or .txt?

I would suggest that you right click on the file, click on Properties and check the file format of the document. Any
    srt file ideally opens in notepad if you directly click on the file, this is the nature of the document itself. However if the format is in
    .txt it means that you may have made some unknown changes to the file and saved it as a notepad document.

Hope this information helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Dec 3, 2018
  4. Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default

Set default program to srt file.

I accidently set an srt file type to open with Notepad. I want to set the default program and i have tried everything that i saw on the internet. I also have windows 10. Thanks!

NikosPetrakos, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default

1. Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default - Similar Threads - Can't set notepad

2. Can't use Notepad to open files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't use Notepad to open files: Notepad is installed, but I cannot manually open it without use of PowerShell or open files with it unless using the "Open" option from within the app itself....
  3. Can't use Notepad to open files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't use Notepad to open files: Notepad is installed, but I cannot manually open it without use of PowerShell or open files with it unless using the "Open" option from within the app itself....
  4. Can't open .txt files with notepad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open .txt files with notepad?: I recently installed VScode and it changed .txt files to open with it, but I wanted notepad back. I tried to go into the open with menu, but I was not there, so I click the "choose another app on this computer" button and selected notepad C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe, but...
  5. Can't open .txt files with notepad?

Can't open .txt files with notepad?: I recently installed VScode and it changed .txt files to open with it, but I wanted notepad back. I tried to go into the open with menu, but I was not there, so I click the "choose another app on this computer" button and selected notepad C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe, but...
  6. Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.: As the subject says, I set the app that .jar files open with to Notepad. Now, whenever I try to run the files, I get the error "'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I fiddled around with it for a while, but I was unable...
  7. Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.: As the subject says, I set the app that .jar files open with to Notepad. Now, whenever I try to run the files, I get the error "'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I fiddled around with it for a while, but I was unable...
  8. Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.

9. set file open with default

in Windows 10 Customization
    set file open with default: How do you set the default program to open a file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-file-open-with-default/7037987b-12e8-4e04-ad36-983ae85bfd65
  10. Can't set Notepad as default app for .nfo files. Says "Application Not Found"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't set Notepad as default app for .nfo files. Says "Application Not Found": I've tried going into the settings and default apps, and selecting Notepad. When I click it, it does exactly nothing. I've also tried to write the Assoc/ftype command in administrator mode: ftype MSInfoFile="%SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1" which also didn't help....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to change srt file back to unknown

2. how to make notepad to be default for a .srt file windows 10

3. windows 10 cant set notepad as default

4. how to set notepad to open files