Windows 10: Can't set Photoshop as default

Discus and support Can't set Photoshop as default in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Home version 1803 (OS Build 17134.407. Until I got the update 1803 for Windows, Photoshop was always my default and it worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KLloyd1, Nov 14, 2018.

1. KLloyd1 Win User

Can't set Photoshop as default

I have Windows 10 Home version 1803 (OS Build 17134.407.

Until I got the update 1803 for Windows, Photoshop was always my default and it worked perfectly. Photoshop itself works just fine, but Windows will not allow it to be the default.

I have tried to set Photoshop CS5.1 as my default photo program by using 'always open with', 'set default programs', 'set by file type', and all the other methods I have researched on the web. However, Windows will still not accept it.

I can however, set any other Adobe program as the default for jpg, tif, png, etc., including Fireworks, Illustrator, Premier, and Photoshop Express. This seems very odd to me.

What changed in the latest update to create this problem? And more importantly how can it be fixed?

I can not uninstall the latest update to go back, as my back ups still have Windows version 1803.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop which did not help.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

:)

KLloyd1, Nov 14, 2018

2. making Photoshop default for JPEG

Since you've mentioned that your computer is running the version 1703 build 15063, here are the steps in order to use Photoshop as the default program for all photo formats, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start and select Settings.
    • Click Apps.
    • Select Default apps.
    • Scroll down and click on Set defaults by app.
    • Choose Photoshop from the left pane, under Set your default programs.
    • Click on Choose defaults for this program.
    • Select JPEG and JPG by putting a check mark on the box before them.
    • Click Save.

Let us know if you need any other assistance.

Darian Tab, Nov 14, 2018
  3. making Photoshop default for JPEG

Hi Bob,

There are a few steps on how you can choose a default program in Windows 10. Choosing a program from
    Choose default apps under Settings is one, but since you would like to use Photoshop as the default program for all photo formats, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start and select Settings.
    • Click System.
    • Select Default apps.
    • Scroll down and click on Set defaults by app.
    • Choose Photoshop from the left pane, under Set your default programs.
    • Click on Choose defaults for this program.
    • Select JPEG and JPG by putting a check mark on the box before them.
    • Click Save.

Let us know if you need further help.

Darian Tab, Nov 14, 2018
  4. shytot Win User

Can't Select Photoshop as a Default App

Hi
    I've just downloaded Photoshop CC2018 and tried to make it the default photo viewer, but it does not appear in the list of apps that I can select from. Have also tried doing the same for opening .jpg files, but just the same, no Photoshop! I have rebooted the system a couple of times but it makes no difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

shytot, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't set Photoshop as default - Similar Threads - Can't set Photoshop

2. Photoshop no longer available as default for image files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photoshop no longer available as default for image files: I can no longer associate Photoshop app with image files after the last windows update. It is no longer available. I've gone into settings and there's a list of file associations for jpg file extensions, but Photoshop is no longer on the list, nor can I find a way to get it...
  3. Can't Set Default Program!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Set Default Program!: What a real pain this is!!!!!Cannot set existing program as default for Photos. Dropdown list doesn't have that program listed yet it is installed on computer. Cannot add .ATN extension and associate a program to open it. So I have to pay to get App??? And the App store...
  4. photoshop default app availability lost

in Windows 10 Customization
    photoshop default app availability lost: Running win 10 ver1803 and photoshop cc 2018. why is the latter no longer available as default in the former?. the poorer photoshop express is useable! All obvious fixes don't work....
  5. Default Photoshop App for jpeg

Default Photoshop App for jpeg: I wish to set Adobe Photoshop 2019 as my default for jpegs. Can do this for Tiffs and PSDs but not jpegs. Om Settomgs under set defaults by app Adobe Photoshop 2019 is not there but I have it on my computer and it works ok. Also in choose default applications by file...
  6. can't set default apps

can't set default apps: Hi, I just did a clean install of windows 10 on both my pc and laptop (downloaded the install tool, it installed 1803, not 1809, winver says compile 17134.376) and now I can't set default apps on both machines. nothing happens if I click a file and choose "open with" and...
  7. Can't set Photoshop CS6 as default app, silently changes to other apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't set Photoshop CS6 as default app, silently changes to other apps: I just upgraded my work computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home x64, build 1803. It was an in-place upgrade, not a fresh install (probably a mistake I know, but this is a production system so I had to minimize downtime & couldn't spend hours reconfiguring a fresh install)....
  8. Can't Select Photoshop as a Default App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Select Photoshop as a Default App: Hi I've just downloaded Photoshop CC2018 and tried to make it the default photo viewer, but it does not appear in the list of apps that I can select from. Have also tried doing the same for opening .jpg files, but just the same, no Photoshop! I have rebooted the system a...
  9. Can't Set IE11 as Default Browser in Settings

in Browsers and Email
    Can't Set IE11 as Default Browser in Settings: I'm not even close to being ready for MS Edge. Problem is I can't set IE11 as the default in settings because it is not an option when I click on Web Browser in Settings. For what it's worth, Edge isn't listed either. Links in MS Outlook revert to Edge 45999
  10. Can't set headphones as Default Device?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't set headphones as Default Device?: So I just encountered a problem yesterday, I'm unable to change my headphones to the default device. I can only set them to Default Communications Device or not default anything. Here's a picture of my playback devices tab [img] The communications headphones is the...