Windows 10: Cant set the default app for extensions

Discus and support Cant set the default app for extensions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Im trying to set the default app for the extension .res but it wont let me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by alexn310, Oct 11, 2018.

1. alexn310 Win User

Cant set the default app for extensions

Im trying to set the default app for the extension .res but it wont let me

:)

alexn310, Oct 11, 2018

2. remove apps defaulting per extension

Hi,

Kindly follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + I keys on the keyboard to open settings menu.

• Click on System.

• Select Default apps on the left navigation pane of the system settings menu.

• Click on Choose default apps by file type
      from the right hand side of the Default apps settings menu.

• Here you may set the default apps for the file types as you wish.
    Note: You may also click on Choose default apps by protocol from the Default apps settings menu if you wish to set the default apps by protocol.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Oct 11, 2018
  3. How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 11, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

Ignoring Default App Settings

Mm, not shown in Control Panel, Default Apps, File association list if that's where you were looking..

Is this one MS is surreptitiously reserving for its own use?
    Notwithstanding which, using Control Panel Default Apps to associate Winrar with all it can handle => .cab associated with Winrar (not restarted yet).

dalchina, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Cant set the default app for extensions - Similar Threads - Cant set default

2. Have to Repeat Setting up default apps for various file extensions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Have to Repeat Setting up default apps for various file extensions: I have to repeat setting up default apps for various file extensions as they get removed for some reason without my intervention.For example: my .html / .jpg extension among many others suddenly don't show their familiar icon. I have to once again point them out to their...
  3. Have to Repeat Setting up default apps for various file extensions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Have to Repeat Setting up default apps for various file extensions: I have to repeat setting up default apps for various file extensions as they get removed for some reason without my intervention.For example: my .html / .jpg extension among many others suddenly don't show their familiar icon. I have to once again point them out to their...
  4. Have to Repeat Setting up default apps for various file extensions

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. The .xlsx file extension is not letting me set a default app for opening.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The .xlsx file extension is not letting me set a default app for opening.: *** Moved from Excel by Mod ***I recently upgraded to Win 11 and I don't recall this being an issue for me in windows 10. My office version is Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise.When I launch an excel file with the extension .xlsx, it by default launches in notepad. When I...
  6. The .xlsx file extension is not letting me set a default app for opening.

The .xlsx file extension is not letting me set a default app for opening.: *** Moved from Excel by Mod ***I recently upgraded to Win 11 and I don't recall this being an issue for me in windows 10. My office version is Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise.When I launch an excel file with the extension .xlsx, it by default launches in notepad. When I...
  7. How to set a Windows Store App as the default application for a file extension?

How to set a Windows Store App as the default application for a file extension?: How do I set a Microsoft Windows Store App as the default application for files with a particular file extension? (On Microsoft Windows 10.) Specifically, I want to set the Windows Store version of the KDE Advanced Text Editor (KATE) as the default application for MW...
  8. Default App extensions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default App extensions: my ex_ extension got switch to Adobe Acrobat, & I would like to switch it back to its original "Open With", but at this point do not know what the original "Open With" was. This is in Windows 10 & keeps referring to look for an App in the store.......
  9. How to set a default app for extensions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set a default app for extensions?: Please help me to set the default app for the extension .res I don’t know how to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-a-default-app-for-extensions/b513235b-4f4d-4292-b37e-000ac4d12d6e"
  10. Cant change default app settings

Cant change default app settings: Hi as stated I cant change any of the default app settings in windows 10. I tried to change my default browser to chrome,nothing happens after i click google chrome,its still edge. This also applies to other defaults like maps,music player,photo viewer etc. 59930