Windows 10: Cant set the default app for extensions

Discus and support Cant set the default app for extensions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Im trying to set the default app for the extension .res but it wont let me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by alexn310, Oct 11, 2018.

1. alexn310 Win User

Cant set the default app for extensions

Im trying to set the default app for the extension .res but it wont let me

:)

alexn310, Oct 11, 2018
  2. Deepak_Krishnan R Win User

remove apps defaulting per extension

Hi,

Kindly follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + I keys on the keyboard to open settings menu.

• Click on System.

• Select Default apps on the left navigation pane of the system settings menu.

• Click on Choose default apps by file type
      from the right hand side of the Default apps settings menu.

• Here you may set the default apps for the file types as you wish.
    Note: You may also click on Choose default apps by protocol from the Default apps settings menu if you wish to set the default apps by protocol.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Oct 11, 2018
  3. Eeshwar Kumar Win User
    How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 11, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

Ignoring Default App Settings

Mm, not shown in Control Panel, Default Apps, File association list if that's where you were looking..

Is this one MS is surreptitiously reserving for its own use?
    Notwithstanding which, using Control Panel Default Apps to associate Winrar with all it can handle => .cab associated with Winrar (not restarted yet).

dalchina, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Cant set the default app for extensions - Similar Threads - Cant set default

2. Default apps in settings is not on the list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default apps in settings is not on the list: I have a relatively new acer aspire, bing has sneaked into being my default browser but I can't change it because there is no Default apps in settings, it's not on the list. What can I do?...
  3. Setting Default Apps, broken

Setting Default Apps, broken: Windows 10 will not let me set a default app for photo viewer. When I go in and set it, it works for about 10-15 minutes, max. Then it defaults to the Windows Photo Viewer which is not such a great program. How do I set the default viewer to stay the program I choose?...
  4. default app setting

default app setting: Good day ! I am unable to set Google Chrome as a default browser on my PC with windows 10. Is automatically set to Microsoft Edge and all attempts to change it to other type are in. Please help me to resolve this issue. Regards, J.M.Bhuskute...
  5. settings app cant be opened

settings app cant be opened: The settings app cannot be opened https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/settings-app-cant-be-opened/2cc26a06-a431-4d86-a964-8730678a6cd7
  6. CANT REMOVE A DEFAULT APP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CANT REMOVE A DEFAULT APP: Hi my Windows 10 default photo app has stopped working, I've tried to remove the app to reload, but it won't let me. I don't know how to access any of my photos now. can anyone help...
  7. Setting defaults by app

Setting defaults by app: I need help to understand how do set ALL supported file formats to associated app. In Settings > Default Apps > Defaults by app > APP > Manage I get overlong list of file formats, most of them unassociated. I don't find any method how to select them all and assign them to...
  8. Setting Default App Problem

Setting Default App Problem: I prefer to open pdf files in Acrobat. My computer is determined that I shall not. It will open only in MS Edge. I try to set the Default App by Type to Acrobat, but even if I select it in the drop down table, it refuses to change. How can I PERMANENTLY set my...
  9. Cant change default app settings

Cant change default app settings: Hi as stated I cant change any of the default app settings in windows 10. I tried to change my default browser to chrome,nothing happens after i click google chrome,its still edge. This also applies to other defaults like maps,music player,photo viewer etc. 59930
  10. How To Set A Default View Setting For A ".search-ms" Extension

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Set A Default View Setting For A ".search-ms" Extension: Hello, So I practically have most of my folders that contain all types of files set up for the Details view setting. (if you right click in a folder -> View -> Details) I set all those adjustments through the Folder Options window. Yet when I open a Saved Search File...