Windows 10: Can't Set Thunderbird as Default Email Application

Discus and support Can't Set Thunderbird as Default Email Application in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi, friends! I won't belabor the fact that Microsoft has failed us regarding setting file type assignments and default applications, even with tools... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Thenin, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Thenin Win User

Can't Set Thunderbird as Default Email Application

Hi, friends!

I won't belabor the fact that Microsoft has failed us regarding setting file type assignments and default applications, even with tools that calculate the correct hashes.

But all I'm trying to do is to set the default email application to Thunderbird, and that should be very simple and straightforward -- but it doesn't work. Thunderbird is normally installed (not as a portable, for example) in the C:\Program Files folder. There is no other email app installed. The existing default is empty. Thunderbird's main file association is to .eml files, and that is correctly set.

When I try to change the default by file type, as I noted above, .eml is already correctly set. When I try Set Defaults by App, Thunderbird is not found (neither is Mozilla Thunderbird). When I try Set Defaults by Protocol, the left-hand column shows "MAILTO" above "Thunderbird URL", but the right-hand column is empty. But when I try to assign it, it pops up a list of applications that does not include "Thunderbird", which is also what happens when I try setting the default in the main settings page.

I think you'll agree that I tried every official method and nothing works. So now I'm looking for some alternative, unofficial method to do this.

I've already tried the "FTA" tool, and Nirsoft's FileTypeMan without being able to set Thunderbird as the default email app. Nirsoft's OpenWithView shows the correct association.

The HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto entry looks like this:

Code:
    The HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Thunderbird.Url.mailto looks the same, but it also includes the correct icon path.

I'm adept with the registry, but I have no idea how to force Thunderbird to be the Default in Settings.

Does anyone know how I can solve this? THANKS!

I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.592)

:)

Thenin, Apr 6, 2021

2. default email

Do the following:

- Press and hold Windows key and press I.

- Click Apps.

- Select Default Apps from the left pane.

- Select the application under the Email section.

- Select Thunderbird (Or an application of your choice) from the newly displayed list.

- Reboot and check if this solves your issue.

ChidumOsobalu [WIMVP], Apr 6, 2021
  3. How do I make Thunderbird my default email client?

Try and set it within Thunderbird itself under options.

Can't Set Thunderbird as Default Email Application [​IMG]

Although I'm surprised it doesn't show..

Can't Set Thunderbird as Default Email Application [​IMG]

Mine wasn't listed as default, there was no entry. Maybe setting it as default in Thunderbird over rides W10. Mine is acting like it is default.

Torquemada, Apr 6, 2021
  4. socklosk Win User

How do I make Thunderbird my default email client?

I can see where one can choose which email client to use as the default in the system settings, but Thunderbird is not listed in the available options.

socklosk, Apr 6, 2021
Thema:

1. Can't Set Thunderbird as Default Email Application - Similar Threads - Can't Set Thunderbird

2. Right click will not send to Thunderbird which is set as default mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right click will not send to Thunderbird which is set as default mail: I have Thunderbird set as my default mail program. But if I right-click on a document or anything and choose "send to/mail recipient" it always opens my Outlook in Office 2019....
  3. Windows is ignoring Thunderbird as Default Email app

in Browsers and Email
    Windows is ignoring Thunderbird as Default Email app: Windows 10 (64-bit) v1909, Build 18363.778 has two user accounts. Myself (Administrator) and my wife (a Standard user). I have Thunderbird (TB) Email client installed (v68.7.0 32-bit) and this is recognised as being the default email app on both profiles. Both profiles are...
  4. setting email default application

in Windows 10 Customization
    setting email default application: Using Windows 10 with Brother MFC-J680DW printer/scanner and cannot set default email application. I've tried multiple suggestions and google to no avail. I use a gmail account for email....
  5. I can't make Outlook default email client - conflict with Thunderbird

I can't make Outlook default email client - conflict with Thunderbird: I am struggling to set Outlook as default email client . I selected it in Settings>APps>Default apps but when trying to share a file (e.g. Word) from within, it is attached to my Thunderbird client....
  6. Cannot set default applications

Cannot set default applications: Hi, I'm running Windows 10 1803 and am fully up to date on Windows Updates (barring the October update, of course, which is not available at the moment). I cannot set default applications for "Choose default applications by file type", or "Choose default applications by...
  7. Thunderbird Email Problem

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird Email Problem: Every time I send email with Thunderbird I put multiple recipients in the Bcc: section and no one in the To: section and that is what is shown. However, when the people I'm sending it to get the email everyone is in the To: line and they can see everyone else's email address....
  8. How do I make Thunderbird my default email client?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I make Thunderbird my default email client?: I can see where one can choose which email client to use as the default in the system settings, but Thunderbird is not listed in the available options. 23340
  9. Can't set default application of my choice

Can't set default application of my choice: I have installed Image Glass (It is working) and I want to set Image Glass as my default image viewer. In Control Panel under Default Apps I do not get an option other than the options listed and the App Store. There is no option for choosing another app that is on the...
  10. Can't set default applications I want

Can't set default applications I want: I use Web based email through Firefiox but Win10 will not allow me to delete (remove) MS Mail and only offers a search of the Store to set the mail client. I will not use the Store or MS Mail - how can I set Firefox as the default application for email? Note I have the...