Windows 10: Can't set up PIN login for daughters account

Discus and support Can't set up PIN login for daughters account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; *Confused*ConfusedHi All, I'm posting here as the Microsoft Customer Support were of no use at all after spending over 2hrs with them trying to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Slaine, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Slaine Win User

Can't set up PIN login for daughters account

*Confused*ConfusedHi All,

I'm posting here as the Microsoft Customer Support were of no use at all after spending over 2hrs with them trying to sort this issue out.

We got our daughter a new PC for xmas which is preloaded with Win10 Home x64.

I have set myself up as the main user (Admin) and also set up a 'family member' account for her to control her activity which has her own seperate login details consisting of her Microsoft email address and a strong password.

Rather than her having to login with her strong password which is quite difficult to remember for a 9yr old, I wanted to set up a 4 digit PIN login instead like I have set up on my Admin account.

I then logged in to her account to set up the PIN login which asks for my parental permission which requires me to login and allow the change.

I am then required to input my credit card details and address to verify I am an adult.

Now the problem is on the address part the screen the country is already set to the USA which requires a State and Zipcode whereas I live in the UK.
    There is no visible menu to change the country from the US to the UK. (see photo below)

Can't set up PIN login for daughters account [​IMG]

Now my Admin account and my daughters account are both correctly set to the UK as their region with keyboard settings set to the UK also.

I can find no way possible to change the region as the USA locale is already set/grayed out with no menu to change it.

I have spent over 2hrs of my life in contact with Microsoft Support even granting them remote access to the PC with them not being able to anything else that I havent already tried!.

It really is doing my head in as it was perfectly straightforward to set the PIN up on my Admin account which did not required any adult verification. I can fully understand this being required for a child account.

After giving up with Microsoft support I received this follow up email from them:

Hi Andy,

This is *name removed*, your Trusted Advisor that assisted you regarding your Windows Computer. How are you? I have made a step by step instruction and basic information on this mail that you can use for your future reference.

To use the windows store in a different country or region please click the link below:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ry-region-help

To set up your billing please click the link below:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-windows-store

I followed both of these suggestions adding both my Credit card and Paypal billing info, restarted the pc and still no difference.

Has anyone come across this issue? and can please help me as I suspect this may be a bug in the OS as the support people seem to be clueless how to help me.

Thank you and a Happy New Year to you all
    Andy

:)

Slaine, Dec 30, 2015

2. Can't set up PIN login for daughters account

Hi Andy,

We apologize for the delayed response.

In response to your query, please refer to the article below for conditions through which an error might arise during the verification process and check again.

Click Here

If that doesn't help, I would suggest you to contact Microsoft Chat Support through the link given below for further assistance. They will be able to guide you with this.

Microsoft Chat Support

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Dec 30, 2015
  3. Can't set up PIN login for daughters account

So here I am in December 2016 having to search for the exact same issue reported here by Andy.

I too have spent two hours speaking with Microsoft Chat technical support on this ... first problem is that they disconnect after 30 minutes - so I reconnect and spend the first 15 minutes of the 30 explaining again the same story.

The issue I have is exactly the same. I have a UK account. I set up my two daughters with accounts and linked through family. I cannot get into their account now, they cannot download apps, their use of windows and their new laptops are compromised - all
    because I don't have a US credit card.

It was also suggested I set up another child account and yes, as with you Andy, it didn't work - no ****, really!.

I did learn by doing this though was that when I set up the child's account, it actually defaults to United Kingdom when I set it up - adding more confidence that their account is set to UK as well as mine.

How the **** do you get out of this one? It has obviously been an issue for a year now - is there no resolution that anybody knows of?

I have two daughters getting very upset with the fact that they have new laptops and are unable to get apps on them, not indeed use Skype to keep in touch with their dad when he works away.

Thanks Microsoft.

... by the way, I am a Microsoft Certified Professional, selling and consulting in your products on a daily basis - this experience is not one I care to relay to your potential customers, so pull your finger out and get an answer implemented and published
    somewhere obvious.

Brian-W-Edge, Dec 30, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Have you changed the country and region here:

Also, typing Region in search gives this control panel:

I would look at all the tabs and buttons there.

NavyLCDR, Dec 30, 2015
  5. Slaine Win User
    Thanks for the reply however regional setting are correctly set to the UK as stated in my opening post.
    I have also checked and double checked everything in case I have missed something and all ok as it should be.

Slaine, Dec 30, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Unfortunately, I am in the US. Seems like a bug in Windows for sure. Sorry I can't help more.

NavyLCDR, Dec 30, 2015
  7. Slaine Win User
    Yeah that's what I thought.

Thanks anyway

Slaine, Dec 30, 2015
  8. Slaine Win User

Just an update as this is getting laughable now. I don't think Microsoft Support have any idea what they are doing.
    Read below further replies:

(Microsoft support)Hi Andy,
    Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.
    I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.
    This issue could arise if the child's account was set to US during the initial setup. Therefore, in order to identify if this is causing the issue, I would suggest you to create a new child account again and select the proper country and check if the issue persists.
    Please follow the steps given in the help article below to add a child in the account.
    Add a child account to your family
    Do get back to us with the result. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Me) Hi,
    The account was setup using the correct region. I do know what I'm doing being fairly experianced with computers and having built my own for years and knowing exactly how to install windows correctly.
    As mentioned previously ALL regional/language/keyboard setting are set to the UK.
    Now when I try to grant permission for my daughter to use a PIN login instead of a password I'm presented with a screen to verify myself as an adult.
    I am then required to enter my credit card details with some explanation as to why with some text stating a charge of 50 cents will be made which will go to charity.
    I CAN NOT change the displayed region from the USA to my own region of the UK. Even though the pc region is correctly set as the UK.
    I don't know how many times now I have explained this problem now. I feel I'm just going round in circles.
    This must be a bug in the operating system as I have never experianced anything so annoying and stupid in my life!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Microsoft support) Hi Andy,
    Thank you for keeping us posted. I understand the inconvenience caused.
    As mentioned earlier, if you haven't tried adding a new child account, I would suggest you to do so. This will help us identify if there was some error with the information provided while setting up the child account.
    Moreover, if the settings were not synced correctly, creating a new account would rectify the issue. This is why I suggested creating a new user account.
    Do let us know the result.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Me)Hi,
    I did exactly as you suggested and the result was just as I expected, unsuccessful.
    I'm still being asked for my credit card details and address for parental verification for her account!
    Can you explain to me exactly 'what' error do you think I could make when setting up an account when the Admin account region is set to the UK?. Any new account region would automatically be also set to the UK unless otherwise specified.
    Also what possible settings do think would not be synched correctly when creating a new account. I fail to see how this could possibly have any bearing on the issue.
    Do you have any other suggestions at this supposed simple task is really starting to annoy me now.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Microsoft support)Hi Andy,
    We apologize for the delayed response.
    In response to your query, please refer to the article below for conditions through which an error might arise during the verification process and check again.
    Click Here
    If that doesn't help, I would suggest you to contact Microsoft Chat Support through the link given below for further assistance. They will be able to guide you with this.
    Microsoft Chat Support
    Hope this helps.
    Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Me)I can't believe you have posted that link to thinking it will help me!
    From that link , COPPA is a US law. From wikipedia "The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA) is a United States federal law"
    How on earth does that affect me and my issue?
    Have you even looked at the link that you posted?.
    It relates to USA users and I'M NOT FROM THE USA as I have stated a million times!
    I have come to the conclusion Microsoft Support is completely clueless and cannot offer me anything that I haven't tried myself. I believe you are simply clutching at straws here.
    I also won't bother contacting Chat Support as they were useless as well.
    I think I will have to take the computer back and get a refund as Windows 10 is a piece of junk and not fit for purpose in my opinion.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone believe this level of incompetence?

Slaine, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't set up PIN login for daughters account - Similar Threads - Can't set PIN

2. Can't login to account with PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't login to account with PIN: Hi, I have a problem with my laptop, so I when to my laptop to do video editing when suddenly I put the correct PIN code to the login screen and it said it was wrong, only for a time. I tried restarting the laptop and reinsert the PIN, but it wouldn't work, I tried using "I...
  3. Can't login to account with PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't login to account with PIN: Hi, I have a problem with my laptop, so I when to my laptop to do video editing when suddenly I put the correct PIN code to the login screen and it said it was wrong, only for a time. I tried restarting the laptop and reinsert the PIN, but it wouldn't work, I tried using "I...
  4. Can't set up PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't set up PIN: Somehow my PIN is gone. Tried to set it up but get message "Something went wrong. We weren't able to set up your PIN. You can try again, or skip this step and set up a PIN later."...
  5. Can't set up PIN

Can't set up PIN: Somehow my PIN is gone. Tried to set it up but get message "Something went wrong. We weren't able to set up your PIN. You can try again, or skip this step and set up a PIN later."...
  6. Can't set up PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. Can't Set PIN on Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Set PIN on Account: I know I've asked before, but perhaps this will shed additional light on the subject.I want to set a pin for my husband's email account. If I got to settings, it does NOT give me a choice to do that. I get one of two choices:1. Microsoft apps can sign me in2. Apps need to ask...
  8. Can't Set PIN on Account

Can't Set PIN on Account: I know I've asked before, but perhaps this will shed additional light on the subject.I want to set a pin for my husband's email account. If I got to settings, it does NOT give me a choice to do that. I get one of two choices:1. Microsoft apps can sign me in2. Apps need to ask...
  9. Unable to set up my pin and can't login to my computer

Unable to set up my pin and can't login to my computer: Please help. I am trying to access my computer. It says I need to setup my pin due to security reasons. It won't let me do that because it says I am not connected to the internet. However, it keeps giving me an error that I am not connected to the internet but I am. It says...
  10. CAN'T SET UP A PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    CAN'T SET UP A PIN: Hi, I been trying to set up a PIN to use instead of password but my device Dell E7450 keeps displaying the below message. "Something went wrong.We weren't able to set up your PIN.You can try again or skip this step and set up a PIN later." Please help....