Windows 10: Can't set Windows Terminal as default because it is not detected in the list of terminals.

Discus and support Can't set Windows Terminal as default because it is not detected in the list of terminals. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am running Windows 11 stable version on my Lenovo S340 since upgrading from Windows 10.I looked in the settings of Windows Terminal to set it as the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Tanishq457, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Can't set Windows Terminal as default because it is not detected in the list of terminals.

I am running Windows 11 stable version on my Lenovo S340 since upgrading from Windows 10.I looked in the settings of Windows Terminal to set it as the default application, but the list of terminal apps only contains Windows Console Host. The same is the case in the Terminal Settings section in the stock settings app. Typing cmd into run still opens the old Command Prompt window of its own.I tried reinstalling Windows Terminal but to no avail.

:)

Tanishq457, Oct 23, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

New Windows Terminal v1.9.1942.0 released for Windows 10 - July 14

This release brings many of the preview changes in Windows Terminal 1.9 to the stable channel.

You may not yet see this release in the Store. We are trying a new "slow rollout" system that follows the Windows Insider program. You can always install a new build from this repository!

Notable changes include:

• Terminal now supports pinning an instance to the top of the screen that you can summon at any time (colloquially referred to as "Quake Mode") (#9785) (#9956) (#9977) (#10108) (#10113) (#10150)
      • It is bound by default to Win+` (#10122)
    • Terminal now supports mouse input for Windows console applications! (#9970) (#10138)
    • The Appearance page will now show you a (tiny) preview of the Terminal (#9527)
    Please note that the following features are not included in the 1.9 stable release:

• The ability to set Windows Terminal (stable) as the default console application host
    • The live action editor in the Settings UI
    Please see the following release notes for additional details:

A preinstallation kit is available for system integrators and OEMs interested in prepackaging Windows Terminal with a Windows image. More information is available in the DISM documentation on preinstallation. Users who do not intend to preinstall Windows Terminal should continue using the msixbundle distribution.

We've also backported the following changes and bug fixes from Windows Terminal Preview 1.10.1933.0:

Changes
    • This version of Terminal comes with Cascadia Code 2106.17. This version of the Cascadia family of fonts refines the "cursive" italic letter forms to have more universally-acceptable shapes and introduces support for Hebrew and Arabic glyphs.
    • Terminal windows launched via "Open Here" will open new tabs in the same directory (#10546) (thanks @ianjoneill)
    • The "quake mode" action is now named "Summon Quake window" instead of "Global summon something something window _quake" (#10641)
    • The opacity slider will now display a % sign like it should have to begin with (#10369) (thanks @chingucoding)
    Bug Fixes
    • An accessibility issue that resulted in misshapen selection regions has been fixed (#10544)
    • Terminal will no longer minimize itself when targeted by a commandline application (#10389)
      • ... or when you target it with -w (#10396)
    • We will no longer destroy commands using iterateOn when you press Save (#10373)
    • Nested commands now dismiss more reliably when using the command palette (#10392) (thanks @kovdu)
    • We will not attempt to not un-toggle the command palette if you choose to toggle it while it is open (#10423) (thanks @kovdu)
    • When we encounter a malformed fragment document, we will no longer fail to read any future fragment documents (#10601)
    • The action editor should now be more usable in Light theme (#10412)
    • "Open Windows Terminal Here" will now appear in your language (#10446)
    • 1.9.1523.0 Terminal will no longer exit unceremoniously when your startingDirectory cannot be found (#10263)
    • 1.9.1523.0 A window that receives an incoming console application will now spring to the foreground (#10217)
    Performance
    • During heavy output load, we will spend a lot less time ...
    Reliability
    • Terminal should crash less often when you are closing a tab (#10549)
    • We've fixed a crash in reloading the settings with the Settings page open (#10390)
    • An application setting the Terminal background should probably not crash it, huh? (#10357)
    • 1.9.1523.0 If our packaged fonts cannot be found, we will now be more robust and less likely to faceplant on launch (#10260)
    • 1.9.1523.0 The "default terminal" feature no longer causes crashes on OS versions where it is unavailable (#10238)
    • 1.9.1523.0 If we can't accept handoff ("default terminal") connections when we start, we'll no longer crash on launch (#10261)
    • The settings UI will no longer overflow its frame on launch/reload (#10619) (thanks @mimvdb)
    • Terminal will try to do a better job recovering the profile you were looking at when the settings reload (#10618) (thanks @mimvdb)
    • 1.9.1523.0 The "default terminal" dropdown has been fixed for High Contrast users (#10185)
    VT Support
    • RIS will now reset mouse mode and encoding (#10602)
    • DECSET 12 (enable/disable cursor blink) is no longer ignored (#10589)
    WPF Control
    • We've fixed an issue in the WPF control's 64-bit build that resulted in hilarious colors (#10486)

Read more: https://github.com/microsoft/termina...ag/v1.9.1942.0

Download from Microsoft Store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/wi...l/9n0dx20hk701

Add 'Open in Windows Terminal' expandable context menu in Windows 10

Add or Remove 'Open in Windows Terminal as administrator' context menu

Brink, Oct 23, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    New Windows Terminal Preview v1.2.2022.0 update for Windows 10 July 22

Source:

Microsoft Store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/wi...w/9n8g5rfz9xk3

See also: New Windows Terminal v1.1.2021.0 released for Windows 10 - July 22

Brink, Oct 23, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Can't set Windows Terminal as default because it is not detected in the list of terminals.

New Windows Terminal Preview v1.10.1933.0 for Windows 10 - July 14

This version of Terminal comes with Cascadia Code 2106.17. This version of the Cascadia family of fonts refines the "cursive" italic letter forms to have more universally-acceptable shapes and introduces support for Hebrew and Arabic glyphs.

Features
    • ALPHA FEATURE We had to update the interface in Windows that allows Terminal to act as the default console host.
      Due to the change, 1.10+ is required with Windows 22000.65 and above.
      • We can now hand off WSL sessions, and Ctrl+C now works in handoff sessions (#10415)
    • We've reintroduced the UI that allows you to edit default settings that apply to all profiles, as well as arrow
      buttons that let you revert individual settings (#10588)
    • You can now select a different default display language for Terminal in the Appearance settings (#10309)
      • JSON field preferredLanguage
    • On the Actions page, you can now edit existing actions and add new ones (#10550) (#10220)
    • Terminal will now present a tray icon when the "Quake mode" window is in use (#10179)
    • The closeTab action has to close tabs by index via the index field (#10447) (thanks @ianjoneill)
    • Screen reader users can now navigate the contents of the screen by attribute (color, font, underline...) (#10336)
    • Terminal will now render SGR 1 ("intensity") in glorious chonky bold (#10498) (#9201) (#10521) (thanks @skyline75489)
    Changes
    • Terminal windows launched via "Open Here" will open new tabs in the same directory (#10546) (thanks @ianjoneill)
    • The "quake mode" action is now named "Summon Quake window" instead of "Global summon something something window _quake" (#10641)
    • JSON settings: font options are now specified in a single "font": {} group in each Profile (#10433)
      • Your settings will automatically migrate to the new format when you press Save.
    • We've promoted the Command Palette to the main dropdown menu to improve its discoverability (#10297) (thanks @KnapSac)
    • The terminal tab color picker's UI is now much more refined, thanks to @gabrielconl (#10219)
    • The opacity slider will now display a % sign like it should have to begin with (#10369) (thanks @chingucoding)
    Bug Fixes
    • An accessibility issue that resulted in misshapen selection regions has been fixed (#10544)
    • Terminal will no longer minimize itself when targeted by a commandline application (#10389)
      • ... or when you target it with -w (#10396)
    • We will no longer destroy commands using iterateOn when you press Save (#10373)
    • Nested commands now dismiss more reliably when using the command palette (#10392) (thanks @kovdu)
    • We will not attempt to not un-toggle the command palette if you choose to toggle it while it is open (#10423) (thanks @kovdu)
    • When we encounter a malformed fragment document, we will no longer fail to read any future fragment documents (#10601)
    • The action editor should now be more usable in Light theme (#10412)
    • "Open Windows Terminal Here" will now appear in your language (#10446)
    • Terminal will no longer exit unceremoniously when your startingDirectory cannot be found (#10263)
      • We made a change to how starting directories are processed that may expose issues in your configuration. This change was made to improve launch performance and reliability.
    • A window that receives an incoming console application will now spring to the foreground (#10217)
    Performance
    • During heavy output load, we will spend a lot less time ...
    Reliability
    • Terminal should crash less often when you are closing a tab (#10549)
    • We've fixed a crash in reloading the settings with the Settings page open (#10390)
    • An application setting the Terminal background should probably not crash it, huh? (#10357)
    • If our packaged fonts cannot be found, we will now be more robust and less likely to faceplant on launch (#10260)
    • The "default terminal" feature no longer causes crashes on OS versions where it is unavailable (#10238)
    • If we can't accept handoff ("default terminal") connections when we start, we'll no longer crash on launch (#10261)
    • The settings UI will no longer overflow its frame on launch/reload (#10619) (thanks @mimvdb)
    • Terminal will try to do a better job recovering the profile you were looking at when the settings reload (#10618) (thanks @mimvdb)
    • The "default terminal" dropdown has been fixed for High Contrast users (#10185)
    VT Support
    • RIS will now reset mouse mode and encoding (#10602)
    • DECSET 12 (enable/disable cursor blink) is no longer ignored (#10589)
    WPF Control
    • We've fixed an issue in the WPF control's 64-bit build that resulted in hilarious colors (#10486)

Read more: https://github.com/microsoft/termina...g/v1.10.1933.0

Download from Microsoft Store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/app/9n8g5rfz9xk3

Add 'Open in Windows Terminal' expandable context menu in Windows 10

Add or Remove 'Open in Windows Terminal as administrator' context menu

Brink, Oct 23, 2021
Thema:

Can't set Windows Terminal as default because it is not detected in the list of terminals.

1. Can't set Windows Terminal as default because it is not detected in the list of terminals. - Similar Threads - Can't set Terminal

2. Windows 11 not detecting Windows Terminal as default terminal application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 not detecting Windows Terminal as default terminal application: Hello, I just installed Windows Terminal from Microsoft Store and I can use it just fine.But the one thing that annoyed me is Windows never let me make it as the default terminal application despite already set it in the terminal settings.This made me have to open the Windows...
  3. Windows 11 not detecting Windows Terminal as default terminal application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 not detecting Windows Terminal as default terminal application: Hello, I just installed Windows Terminal from Microsoft Store and I can use it just fine.But the one thing that annoyed me is Windows never let me make it as the default terminal application despite already set it in the terminal settings.This made me have to open the Windows...
  4. Terminal

Terminal: Where could a person find relivent actual procedurael documentation that is 100 miles beyond kindergarden information within working with the Terminal.BackgroundWhile and or during the clock time of trying to work with a 2nd party app created for the Monitor to calibrate the...
  5. How to set Windows Terminal as the default terminal application in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to set Windows Terminal as the default terminal application in Windows 11: [ATTACH]Windows Terminal includes Command Prompt, PowerShell, and some other command-line interpreter tools and makes it easier for the user to switch between them, as you can just change tabs to use the tool of your choice. That’s why many users want to set Windows Terminal...
  6. Can't set Windows Terminal as default because it is not detected in the list of terminals.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't set Windows Terminal as default because it is not detected in the list of terminals.: I am running Windows 11 stable version on my Lenovo S340 since upgrading from Windows 10.I looked in the settings of Windows Terminal to set it as the default application, but the list of terminal apps only contains Windows Console Host. The same is the case in the Terminal...
  7. Windows 11 terminal setting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 terminal setting: When I open windows 11 terminal admin, click on down arrow and click on setting. It does not open setting menu but open with Visual Studio. Anyone know how to fix this this issues. I located settings.json file but don't know how to set NOT open in visual studio.Thank you....
  8. Windows 11 terminal setting

Windows 11 terminal setting: When I open windows 11 terminal admin, click on down arrow and click on setting. It does not open setting menu but open with Visual Studio. Anyone know how to fix this this issues. I located settings.json file but don't know how to set NOT open in visual studio.Thank you....
  9. How to set New Windows Terminal as default console.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to set New Windows Terminal as default console.: Anyone know how to set the new awesome Windows Terminal as default? If I go through the extension selector it doesn't find a program to be able to choose, it just directs me to the store, where I have already downloaded and ran WT. submitted by /u/datius [link] [comments]...
  10. How to Change Default JSON Editor in Windows Terminal Settings?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Change Default JSON Editor in Windows Terminal Settings?: I newly installed Windows Terminal after downloading it directly from Microsoft Store. Due to being complete novice I clicked on the drop down arrow, selected "Settings" and mistakenly set the default JSON Editor as "open in web browser". So now every time when I click on...