Windows 10: Can't share between computers anymore

Discus and support Can't share between computers anymore in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For quite some time now, I've been using a simple sharing setup to share a folder from each of my laptops to the others. On each laptop, I turned on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Xander9009, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Can't share between computers anymore

For quite some time now, I've been using a simple sharing setup to share a folder from each of my laptops to the others. On each laptop, I turned on network discovery, turned off password protected sharing, and shared the folder I wanted (C:\Network Folder) with "everyone" having full access. Each laptop has its own copy of this folder with the same settings. The laptops are on the same network and workgroup. Just recently (probably with the latest update, if I was to guess), this no longer works.

Now, it changes behavior depending on which way I'm going. From Laptop 1 accessing Laptop 2, it pops up a box asking for my credentials despite password protected sharing being disabled. The other way around, it simply says I don't have access and says to contact the network administrator (this is at home on a private home network).

Did Microsoft change something in the way network sharing works? I've tried looking into registry edits (all of which were already set to the suggested values), and I found a page describing several options, only one of which was relevant but still didn't work. That one being to set the permissions on the MachineKeys folder to allow everyone full access; this allowed the various Peer services to finally start on Laptop 1, but this didn't affect accessibility in any way.

I'm not sure what else to try. Password protected sharing is off, so why is it asking for a password?

:)

Xander9009, Oct 23, 2019

2. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Oct 23, 2019
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Can't share between computers anymore

Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Oct 23, 2019
Thema:

Can't share between computers anymore

1. Can't share between computers anymore - Similar Threads - Can't share between

2. Share webcam between computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Share webcam between computers: I have a 2 port KVM switch for keyboard and mouse but also want to share a webcam between computers. Can I use a USB adapter or do I need to get a 3 or 4 port KVM switch?***Move from Microsoft 365 and Office / Excel / For business / Windows***...
  3. Share webcam between computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Share webcam between computers: I have a 2 port KVM switch for keyboard and mouse but also want to share a webcam between computers. Can I use a USB adapter or do I need to get a 3 or 4 port KVM switch?***Move from Microsoft 365 and Office / Excel / For business / Windows***...
  4. sharing file between computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing file between computer: I have 2 OEM installs computers (Win 10 Professional wit all the updates) and and I am unable to share a file from one computer to the other one. What am I doing wrong , your suggestions please. 175636
  5. sharing file between computer

in Windows 10 Support
    sharing file between computer: I have 2 OEM installs computers (Win 10 Professional wit all the updates) and and I am unable to share a file from one computer to the other one. What am I doing wrong , your suggestions please. 175636
  6. Sharing Between Computers on Ethernet

Sharing Between Computers on Ethernet: I am baffled by how Windows 10 handles file sharing between computers these days. I remember the Homegroup option was a little wonky, but at least it worked. Here's the situation. I have my whole home wired with Cat 6 Ethernet. Every port is connected to one switch. Each...
  7. sharing between computers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    sharing between computers: when I create a shortcut on one desktop it then appears on all my desktops. It's driving me crazy, how do I turn this feature off submitted by /u/surfer812 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ek7w2b/sharing_between_computers/
  8. Sharing between my computers does not work anymore

Sharing between my computers does not work anymore: I have two computers on a residential network. The desktop computer in on Windows 10 Pro, version 1809, the laptop uses Windows 10 Family, version 1809. In recent weeks I cannot transfer files from one to the other. When, from the desktop, I try to open a user account on the...
  9. sharing files between computers.

sharing files between computers.: Let me be clear. I have a windows 7 computer and a windows 10 computer, I'm having a hideous time trying to share files between the computers, (I DO NOT WANT TO USE AN ONLINE FILE SHARING SYSTEM TO SHARE THE FILES.) I.E. Onedrive. both computers are on the same network...
  10. share file between computers

share file between computers: Trying to share files between computers on same Wifi network but when I click on file to share.. Share icon is gray and not available to click on. Using Win 10 home edition and other computer is using Win 10 pro...