Windows 10: Can't share files on Win 10 Pro 64 machine

Discus and support Can't share files on Win 10 Pro 64 machine in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a home network that used to work fine. Recently I had to replace my main desktop (win10 pro 64) and now I can't seem to set the new machine up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MikeyChris, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Can't share files on Win 10 Pro 64 machine

I have a home network that used to work fine. Recently I had to replace my main desktop (win10 pro 64) and now I can't seem to set the new machine up to play nice with the others. Here's the main components in the network:
    Desktop Win 10 Pro 64 bit Wired to LAN
    Notebook Win 8.1 Home 32 bit Wireless
    Laptop Win 10 Home 64 bit Wireless

There are printers, phones, TVs, etc, but the files I need to share come from/to these three computers. The Laptop and the Notebook work fine with each other. The Desktop can "see" the laptop and the Notebook shares OK, but the Laptop and Notebook cannot "see" the desktop shares.
    I can PING every which way just fine; from/to any of the three. I can "see" the shares on the Desktop from the Notebook and Laptop if I put the Desktop's \\computername\sharename in a browser's url field, but the Lap&Note cannot see the desktop shares over the LAN.

I have tried disabling the firewalls on all of them, no change. I have triple checked all the sharing/permissions and cannot see what's wrong. ANY ideas are welcomed! Thanx.

:)

MikeyChris, Sep 18, 2018

2. Windows 10 Pro File & Printer Sharing Issue

We have three machines running Windows 10 on our home network (2 desktops; one with Windows 10 home & one with Windows 10 pro and one laptop w/ Windows 10 home). We previously had a homegroup setup that allowed us to share printers and files and access a
    USB 3.0 4TB hard-drive connected to our router (Netgear Nighthawk x6 R8000). Everything was working fine with printing and file sharing until the latest Windows 10 update where the homegroup function was removed by Microsoft.

Now, the two Windows 10 home devices can still share files and access the router-shared network hard-drive, however, the Windows 10 pro machine (which hosts the shared printer) cannot access the shared hard-drive and none of the Windows 10 home computers
    can access the shared printer on the Win 10 pro machine. At first, it would not even see the other machines on our network. All the machines are under the same generic "WORKGROUP" but to no avail, we cannot access the printer from either of the two Windows
    home machines.

Here's what I've done so far....

• Enabled/configured file & printer sharing identically on all machines
    • Checked Windows firewall settings are set to allow printer and file sharing on all machines
    • Enabled SMB 1.0/CSIF File sharing support in windows services on all machines
    • Enabled all the necessary file & printer sharing options in the "Turn Windows Features On or Off" settings
    • Tried disabling Windows firewall, no difference
    • Tried disabling the security suite (provided by Charter Spectrum ISP), no difference

I have now the Windows 10 pro machine can see the other machines on the network, but still cannot access the shared files on the router hard-drive and we cannot access files on other Windows 10 machines nor can the Windows 10 home machines see the shared
    printer or access prior shared folders that were accessible when homegroup on the Windows 10 pro machine.

Help!

kingofinfinitehills, Sep 18, 2018
  3. eidairaman1, Sep 18, 2018
  4. PABresler Win User

Can't share files on Win 10 Pro 64 machine

File sharing between Win 10 and XP

I have the Win 10 computer getting into the folders on the XP. Ironically, from one Win 10 computer, I cannot get into the folders on the other Win 10 computer. The folders show on the C drive, but I get "Windows cannot access...." if I try to open a folder.
    Homegroups have been setup on both machines. The C drives are shared on both machines.

Peter

PABresler, Sep 18, 2018
Thema:

Can't share files on Win 10 Pro 64 machine

1. Can't share files on Win 10 Pro 64 machine - Similar Threads - Can't share files

2. Win 10 22H2 Can't share files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 22H2 Can't share files?: Hi,I have a new install of Windows 10 V 22H2, and I have been unable to set it up to share its files on our LAN.These are my Advanced Sharing Settings:Private Profile - Network Discovery ON Auto Setup ON File & Printer Sharing ONGuest or Public Profile Same as abovePassword...
  3. Win 10 22H2 Can't share files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 22H2 Can't share files?: Hi,I have a new install of Windows 10 V 22H2, and I have been unable to set it up to share its files on our LAN.These are my Advanced Sharing Settings:Private Profile - Network Discovery ON Auto Setup ON File & Printer Sharing ONGuest or Public Profile Same as abovePassword...
  4. Win 10 22H2 Can't share files?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?: I have a new laptop with Win 11 Home, and I need full access to files and drives on my Win 10 Home Desktop.1 Both computers on the same network: If I upgrade the Desktop to Win10 Pro, will I have full read/write access to those using the Win 11 Home Laptop or do I have to...
  6. Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?: I have a new laptop with Win 11 Home, and I need full access to files and drives on my Win 10 Home Desktop.1 Both computers on the same network: If I upgrade the Desktop to Win10 Pro, will I have full read/write access to those using the Win 11 Home Laptop or do I have to...
  7. Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. win 10 machine can't access network shares on pdc, intermittent

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    win 10 machine can't access network shares on pdc, intermittent: I manage a small windows domain for my home/home office. It consists of a PDC running Windows Server 2003 SP1 I know! it's old! etc. and a hand full of computers with fixed private IP addresses 10.x.x.x: 3 Win 10 1 Win 8.1 2 Win 7 1 Win XP My intermittent problem for the past...
  9. Help replacing Win.7Pro 64, to Win.10 Pro 64?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help replacing Win.7Pro 64, to Win.10 Pro 64?: Howdy all! I am unfortunately in a situation where I think I will need to replace hardware, [ie: B85 Chipset MoBo, and Intel core i7, CPU] before installing either a "clean," or an "upgrade" to WIN10? I perform upgrades every six or seven years, to keep up with technology....
  10. Win 10 Pro 64-bit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit: Since, in my 2 laborious (!) years of experience with Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) on the nicely-'appointed' desktop I built, it does not work as advertised, can I return it to MS and replace it Windows 7 Pro (64-bit which does work as advertised)? I thought I was being smart to...