Windows 10: Can't share files over private network Windows 10

Discus and support Can't share files over private network Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been having an intermittent problem sharing folders between two computers on my home private network. For the last 3 weekends, the connection... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MeganPiehler, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Can't share files over private network Windows 10

I have been having an intermittent problem sharing folders between two computers on my home private network. For the last 3 weekends, the connection between my two Windows 10 computers has been broken. In the past I was able to change the network sharing options to fix the issue I have no idea how the configuration changed from sharing to not sharing files/printers overnight. Now the configuration for both computers appears to be the same both connected to the internet, to the same network and the sharing options are the same but despite multiple re-boots the computers are still not sharing files. The network troubleshooter dialogue box says "Windows can't find "other computer name".

In case its relevant, there was a Microsoft patch installed yesterday. The network sharing was working before this patch was installed.

I am at a loss as to how to fix this. Any help would be much appreciated.

:)

MeganPiehler, Dec 21, 2020

2. PC Networking/Sharing on Private Network

We have latest Windows 10 on 3 PC's in our home. They are all connected to the same wifi secure connection. I've configured all 3 for sharing over a private network but have not been able to access the other PC's. I can see one of the computers but
    it is saying that I don't have permissions to access, to contact my administrator (that's actually me and I'm listed as administrator). This networking worked well with homegroup in earlier versions but since Windows 10 update I have no longer been able to
    network and open files on other PC's. I would think this would be much easier in Windows 10. Does anyone have any suggestions to make this work? Thanks in advance.

ToddStaple, Dec 21, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    File sharing windows 10 network

Hi Steve,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to see shared folders in File Explorer. I’ll certainly assist you with this.

I would suggest you to check if Network discovery is on or not. To do this, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Go to Control Panel > Click on
      Network and Internet >
      Click on Network and Sharing Center.

2. Click on Change advance sharing settings
      on the left pane.
    3. Select Turn on network discovery
      under Private and Guest network.
    4. Click on Save changes.

You may also want to refer the article on
    Map a network drive

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 21, 2020
  4. Can't share files over private network Windows 10

Error: "Can create home group in private network only" - the wireless network is private though

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about connecting to HomeGroup network with error: Can create home group in private network only, we will help you with this issue.

I would like to inform that this issue might have occurred due to settings in the Network type on Windows 10.

Step 1: I suggest you to check with the network type on Windows 10, try the below:

Right click on the Network icon in the System tray
    and click on Open Network and Sharing Center.

Here you will see the network you are connected to and what type of network Windows 10 has identified it as. (Private/ Public).

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to change the network type to Private if it is not and check if it helps.

• Log-in as an Administrator, on the desktop, click on the Network system icon in the taskbar notification area.
    • Right click on your network connection and click on
      Turn sharing on or off
    • Click on Yes, turn on sharing and connect to devices.

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt and check if it helps.

For reference: HomeGroup problems in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

Can't share files over private network Windows 10

1. Can't share files over private network Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't share files

2. File sharing over a network in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File sharing over a network in Windows 10: File sharing over a network in Windows 10 allows you to share files and folders on your computer with other users over a private or public network in your workgroup or domain. Steps to Set Up File Sharing on a Windows PCNote: These steps needs to be done on each Windows PC...
  3. File sharing over a network in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sharing over a network in Windows 10: File sharing over a network in Windows 10 allows you to share files and folders on your computer with other users over a private or public network in your workgroup or domain. Steps to Set Up File Sharing on a Windows PCNote: These steps needs to be done on each Windows PC...
  4. File sharing over a network in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File sharing over a network in Windows 10: File sharing over a network in Windows 10 allows you to share files and folders on your computer with other users over a private or public network in your workgroup or domain. Step 1: Set Up File Sharing on a Windows PCNote: This option needs to be done on each Windows PC you...
  5. File sharing over private network

File sharing over private network: How do I enable password protected sharing only for public networks? I want to achieve free sharing for all computers on the private network no passwords necessary, but prevent any sharing on public networks. Is this impossible?...
  6. Windows 10 file sharing over home private network

Windows 10 file sharing over home private network: I want to be able to access files on my office computer from my laptop. they are both on the same wifi network and I can see the others in network. When I click on the shared file I am told I do not have permission and to contact my administrator. What am I doing wrong?...
  7. Windows 10, Media Player, Media sharing over private network.

Windows 10, Media Player, Media sharing over private network.: Video files and all other Media Player library contents are all available through "folder" search but none of the PLAYLISTS created in Media Player are visible to connected devices Smart TV's and Android devices. These have been visible in the past and i don't know of any...
  8. How to share file access on private network

How to share file access on private network: Have 2 notebooks running Win 10 Pro wirelessly connected to an Xfinety Home F70A-5 gateway router. What settings do I need to configure to allow them to share file access on a private network. 165165
  9. File sharing across my private network

File sharing across my private network: Quite suddenly (I presume after a Windows 10 update) both of my TV media players are unable to access files on my Windows 10 computer. Amongst other things I have tried to turn off password protected sharing, but this change does not save correctly....
  10. File sharing doesn't work in a private network

File sharing doesn't work in a private network: Hi, This problem has been bugging me for quite some time now and I just can't solve it by myself. I got two Windows 10 Pro 64-bit computers connected to a Asus RT-N56U and I try to share files between them. File shng works sometimes (not very often) when I keep restarting...