Windows 10: Can't share local drive on Win10 with authentication method

Discus and support Can't share local drive on Win10 with authentication method in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear people, I will try to explain my issue to the best. How do I share files or folders or the contents of entire local drive to other people on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by aladdin, Aug 11, 2018.

1. aladdin Win User

Can't share local drive on Win10 with authentication method

Dear people,
    I will try to explain my issue to the best.

How do I share files or folders or the contents of entire local drive to other people on network with authentication (Without file sharing wizard in folder options) like we used to do in Windows XP? When following the same procedure, it says 'Access Denied' while connecting from other network computers. I have enabled SMBv1 for sharing with WinXP. Normal simple file sharing is working fine on all network computers.

Suppose, a computer running latest version of Windows 10 and its local drive(s) may be shared in such a way that only people who have password of this computer can access its entire drives (Without file sharing wizard in folder options) like we used to do in Windows XP.

I want to share entire local drive(say drive alpha), not particular file or folder, with only those people who know password of computer running Win10. When they map this drive, they are required to login with password in order to open drive alpha. Added permission in Security tab of drive D like added EVERYONE, CREATOR OWNER, NETWORK security principals but still getting this error.
    Can't share local drive on Win10 with authentication method pic1.jpg

If you untick Use Sharing Wizard option in folder options, you get to share entire drive, file or folder with those people who know password of PC running Win10. With simple file sharing, all people on network can access that shared drive/file/folder while with authenticated file/drive/folder sharing, they need to login first with user name and password in order to open that drive.

Authenticated file, folders or drive sharing means you need to just enter correct password and you are in. For example, I type \\192.168.1.3\d$ in my WinXP computer and when entering this, it must ask for username and password in order to open that location which is server running Win10, in this example. We do this every day between two WinXP computers in just a matter of minute. For doing this on XP, you just untick Use Simple file sharing option in folder options. That's it.

Please be informed that authenticated sharing is working fine when I map a drive of WinXP computer in my Win10 PC. It asks for username and password of WinXP computer and upon correct entry, that WinXP drive is mapped successfully in my Win10 file explorer. So it means there are some sort of security attributes which need to be added on my Win10 drive but I already tried. *Sad

For example, I map \\192.168.1.4\d$ in Win10 and when entering this, it asks for login credentials and upon correct entry, the drive is successfully mapped and every time when someone wants to open it, he must enter password to get inside that drive. In this way, not everyone on network can access this drive buy only those people who know password of that PC.

:)

aladdin, Aug 11, 2018
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Aug 11, 2018
  4. Can't share local drive on Win10 with authentication method

little cat, Aug 11, 2018
Thema:

Can't share local drive on Win10 with authentication method

1. Can't share local drive on Win10 with authentication method - Similar Threads - Can't share local

2. Folder Sharing Authentication Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Sharing Authentication Failure: Three computers, all Windows 11, A, B, and C.Folders shared on computer A can be seen by B and CFolders shared on computer B can be seen by A and CFolders shared on computer C cannot be accessed from A or B.Folder sharing by C used to work, but failed after a recent update....
  3. Folder Sharing Authentication Failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Sharing Authentication Failure: Three computers, all Windows 11, A, B, and C.Folders shared on computer A can be seen by B and CFolders shared on computer B can be seen by A and CFolders shared on computer C cannot be accessed from A or B.Folder sharing by C used to work, but failed after a recent update....
  4. Change network authentication method while disconnected.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change network authentication method while disconnected.: Recently, after mistakenly changing settings over work wifi, I'm no longer able to use the network or sign in anymore.After accidentally changing the network authentication method in network adapter settings, wifi now asks for a sign-in I'm normally just able to connect...
  5. Local Sharing

Local Sharing: I have spent almost two weeks to have my two computers talkto each other so i can share files between them I have done everything under the sun I believe and noresults. In one point I was able to see both computers then I probablydid something and now I only see one...
  6. Sharing Drives on Local Net

Sharing Drives on Local Net: Hello, I use a redundant 1TB HDD drive L:\ in a USB caddy as a backup drive on computer //BB Second computer //AA sees the drive on the local net but no way will it allow access to either the whole drive or to shared folders on it. A flash drive on \\BB can be accessed as...
  7. Unable to change network authentication method

Unable to change network authentication method: Hello, I have a problem where I'm unable to change authentication method and therefore can't connect to the internet through ethernet adapter. Basically, I want to change my authentication method to SecureW2 TTLS because other methods don't work with my ISP. Screenshot...
  8. Login Authentication Method when lid is closed

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login Authentication Method when lid is closed: Are there any plans in the works to customize the default login method for when the lid is open vs. closed? When I am at my desk, the lid is typically closed, and when I first present myself to the laptop, it's trying to recognize my face... But obviously the camera is...
  9. Can't Share an Entire Drive

Can't Share an Entire Drive: I have a small home network. I do not use HomeGroup. I can happily share folders, but I can not share an entire drive. Whenever I do that, and set access permissions, the drive appears on the network, but nothing can access it. It always just says that I do not have...
  10. Can't format local drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't format local drive: Hi, I have a local Disk (D), which it's content is from my previous PC (Drive C in my previous PC). I don't need it anymore, and I think it is causing problems to Office. I uninstalled Office, and I'm trying to format this D drive, before I install a newer version of...