Windows 10: Can't share newly created directory with XP machine

Discus and support Can't share newly created directory with XP machine in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been using an older XP machine on my home network for years and have never had a problem with using shares on my "main" Win 10 machine. (Win 10 -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KenHorse, Jan 24, 2020.

1. KenHorse Win User

Can't share newly created directory with XP machine

I've been using an older XP machine on my home network for years and have never had a problem with using shares on my "main" Win 10 machine. (Win 10 - Version 1903 Build 18362.592)

I recently had to uninstall and reinstall a program on the Win 10 computer due to needing to change directory names (long story). Since the change, I can no longer get the new directory to share with only the XP computer (I have other Win 10 computers on the same network and they see (and can use) the new directory without any problem.

The thing is, the XP can still see (and use) other shares on the same Win 10 computer. I've tried everything I can think of but no go.

:)

KenHorse, Jan 24, 2020
  2. rbecca Win User

How to share (config.vm.synced_folder), directories between Windows 10 and CentOS7 Virtual Machine created using Vagrant and VirtualBox

I was able to successfully do this in my Virtualbox image earlier; hopefully it will work for you too.

Directions: Inside of your virtual machine:

1. Create a directory (e.g. mkdir -p /mnt/share)
    2. Mount the shared folder to the directory you just created, where "shared_folder" is the name of the shared folder you set up from Settings earlier (e.g. mount -t vboxsf shared_folder /mnt/share)

You should now be able to access files from your equivalent /mnt/share directory

rbecca, Jan 24, 2020
  3. woodson2 Win User
    Can't copy/move to network shares from VISTA

Hi, I created a password for my local VISTA account with the same password that I use for to get to the network shares...no dice...Any other suggestions??

woodson2, Jan 24, 2020
  4. Can't share newly created directory with XP machine

Mounting Windows 10 machine's disk on an XP machine via network share

So it's still not working: I still can't access my laptop (Win 10) drive from my desktop machine (Win XP). But I can access the my desktop (Win XP) machine's drive from my Win 10 Laptop. It used to work both ways before I "upgraded" the laptop to Win 10.

Here is what I have tried since then.

(1) Made sure that the sharing permissions on my laptop give "full control" to members of group Administrators.

(2) My account on both machines is a member of group Administrators with the same username and password.

(3) Followed Arun B J.'s steps (above) to activate the Administrator account.

Please note that my desktop can mount the laptop's drive (i.e. assign it a drive letter), I just get an "Access Denied" error message when I try to list or access its files.

UPDATE: Referring to step (1) above: If I change the permissions to give "full control" to Everyone, then my desktop can access it OK. It is only when I restrict access to group Administrators that I get "Access Denied." My username and
    password are the same on both machines, and my account on both has Administrator privileges; why doesn't Windows 10 acknowledge that I am, in fact, an Administrator?

Rich Pasco, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

Can't share newly created directory with XP machine

1. Can't share newly created directory with XP machine - Similar Threads - Can't share newly

2. Can't search in newly created folders in cloned disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't search in newly created folders in cloned disk: For some reason when i created a folder i can't search at all in it, i can search in the cloned folders but not in the ones that i create. I also noticed that any folder that i can't search in it i just can move it to the old HDD drive and then i can search the files in it...
  3. Can't search in newly created folders in cloned disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't search in newly created folders in cloned disk: For some reason when i created a folder i can't search at all in it, i can search in the cloned folders but not in the ones that i create. I also noticed that any folder that i can't search in it i just can move it to the old HDD drive and then i can search the files in it...
  4. Can't search in newly created folders in cloned disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Active Directory Issue -- Newly created accounts show up as Account Unknown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Active Directory Issue -- Newly created accounts show up as Account Unknown: I'm having an issue in Active Directory. When creating a new user and assigning it a path to its home folder the security permissions drops the user account and replaces it with account unknown. The SID of the account unknown matches the new user. Also when doing a search for...
  6. Active Directory Issue -- Newly created accounts show up as Account Unknown

Active Directory Issue -- Newly created accounts show up as Account Unknown: I'm having an issue in Active Directory. When creating a new user and assigning it a path to its home folder the security permissions drops the user account and replaces it with account unknown. The SID of the account unknown matches the new user. Also when doing a search for...
  7. Active Directory Issue -- Newly created accounts show up as Account Unknown

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Can't create new file in Documents directory.

Can't create new file in Documents directory.: Hi all, From some day weeks ago, I strangely found that I can not create new files in my Document directory and some other directories (e.g. Desktop) using some applications. Check this screenshot out. [ATTACH] Here's some further information I can provide: Creating new...
  9. Newly Rebooted Machine, can't access MS Onedrive on my machine.

Newly Rebooted Machine, can't access MS Onedrive on my machine.: Hey Everyone, Today, I rebooted my machine and did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. I installed all my apps etc and then tried to access onedrive and it gave me a sign in screen. I put in my correct information and it won't let me sign in at all. It gets stuck saying...
  10. Creating a shared directory on the network using the command prompt

Creating a shared directory on the network using the command prompt: Hi I have Windows 10 v1703 Enterprise 64 bit with the Microsoft accounts. Wanting to create a shared directory on the network using the command prompt, in an administrative account I ran the Command Prompt (as administrator) and I run the following commands: Code:...