Windows 10: Can't shrink HD partition enough to copy to a smaller SSD

Discus and support Can't shrink HD partition enough to copy to a smaller SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; HP Core i3 desktop, Windows 10 1809 (PC originally came from HP with Win7) It's my Dad's desktop PC and I'm upgrading it to a 240gb SSD. Current drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/paulgraz, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Can't shrink HD partition enough to copy to a smaller SSD

HP Core i3 desktop, Windows 10 1809 (PC originally came from HP with Win7)

It's my Dad's desktop PC and I'm upgrading it to a 240gb SSD. Current drive is a 5400rpm 1tb HD. He has less than 50gb of space used (after cleanup) on the existing C: partition, so there's just no need for a bigger SSD.

Yes, I know I could just image the SSD and copy files over from the old HD - but I have a few reasons why I would prefer to clone the existing drive instead.

There's one other issue - all the USB ports on the motherboard died. I added an expansion card with 5 ports, but they only seem to be active within Windows. At boot, it complains about no keyboard - but once it boots up the new USB ports work just fine.

Disk Mangler wont let me shrink the partition below 380gb, I just can't figure out why. Hibernation is disabled, fast Startup is disabled, swap file is disabled. I should be able to shrink this down to 200gb or so to clone it. I've defragged 3 times, rebooting in between each one. No help. Remember there's less than 50gb of space used at present! Is there another (preferably free) tool that can resize this partition down from within Windows?

OR - is there a (preferably free) clone tool that will copy a partition and resize it to a smaller partition on the destination drive? (Again, would have to be from within Windows, so I think this angle isn't likely)

submitted by /u/paulgraz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/paulgraz, Dec 12, 2019

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Dec 12, 2019
  3. TekNacion Win User
    Windows 10 Image Restore to Smaller SSD

In my quest to find a solution to restore a system image of my Windows 10 installation to a smaller SSD I came across the following discussion:

Windows 7 System Image restore to smaller ssd

I was using 90GB of a 720GB HD. Using the Shrink process from Disk Management it was able to shrink to only 350GB. Not enough for the 256GB SSD I wanted to install. So, I used the GParted method and I was able to shrink the OS partition down to 100GB. But
    I was still unable to restore to the SSD.

The problem was that in my case my installation of Windows 10 had two other partitions other than the OS partition. The partitions were in the following order:

System Reserved + OS + System Recovery

After shrinking the OS partition the Unallocated space was between the OS partition and the System Recovery partition:

System Reserved + OS + Unallocated Space + System Recovery

When creating the system image only the three partitions (System Reserved + OS + System Recovery) were backed-up. But the problem seems to have been that the offsets were also included. This offset placed the System Recovery partition
    far behind the OS partition, making it not fit on the SSD when recovered.

The solution was to use GParted to move the Unallocated Space partition all the way to the end so that the 3 partitions are one after the other with no empty partition in between any of them. After successfully recovering the image to the smaller SSD I had
    to use GParted once more to move the Unallocated Space partition right after the OS partition in order to use Disk Management to Extend the OS partition into the Unallocated Space partition.

I hope this helps. I had to start a new discussion as the one I refer to was locked yesterday.

Thanks,

TekNacion, Dec 12, 2019
  4. Can't shrink HD partition enough to copy to a smaller SSD

undo partition shrink

I accidentally shrank the partition in my SSD when I was trying to shrink the data. It boils down to lack of understanding. Anyways, How do I undo this as my 32GB SSD now has 200 MB left on it.

Im confused help me, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

Can't shrink HD partition enough to copy to a smaller SSD

1. Can't shrink HD partition enough to copy to a smaller SSD - Similar Threads - Can't shrink partition

2. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  3. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  4. Unable to shrink a partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to shrink a partition: I have a new SSD and am trying to install Windows Home from a USB drive. I can see in Disk Management several partitions that Windows created, but Windows fails to install due to error 0x8007025D. One suggestion from Microsoft is to reduce the partition to 125GB currently...
  5. Can't shrink SSD partition beyond certain size

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't shrink SSD partition beyond certain size: I'm trying to shrink the system partition on my SSD to dual boot but it says that the available shrink space size is 16281 MB. I already forced TRIM and ran Windows Cleanup but it's still stuck there Windows 10 20H2 178250
  6. Cloning to a Smaller SSD

Cloning to a Smaller SSD: What is a decent cloning product that can clone from a larger hdd to a smaller ssd, either paid or free. There's not a lot on the old drive. It's version 2004 of Windows 10. I'm unable to get to the boot menu or the bios using the novo button on a Lenovo Z580 for some...
  7. Cloning to a Smaller SSD

Cloning to a Smaller SSD: What is a decent cloning product that can clone from a larger hdd to a smaller ssd, either paid or free. There's not a lot on the old drive. 173366
  8. Partition manager can't shrink

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Partition manager can't shrink: I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm stumped. I want to shrink my Windows partition, which is 750GB and has over 450GB free. Disk management still says that the partition can be shrunk by 0 bytes. I tried to clear my hard drive as much as possible, but can't remove...
  9. Shrinking my SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shrinking my SSD: Hi there - I recently bought a Dell laptop, Inspiron 14 5000 2-in-1, and it comes with an SSD 512 GB but one drive. If I want to split the volume into 2 partitions would that affect the OEM Windows version that exists on a hidden drive? I was told by a friend of mine that...
  10. Can't shrink ssd, need help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't shrink ssd, need help!: submitted by /u/Subkist [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f604cf/cant_shrink_ssd_need_help/