Windows 10: Can't shrink my system partition despite disabling swap etc.

Discus and support Can't shrink my system partition despite disabling swap etc. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to shrink my system partition but Disk Manager only offers a tiny reduction in size due to "unmovable files". I have already disabled swap,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ricecrispies, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Can't shrink my system partition despite disabling swap etc.

I am trying to shrink my system partition but Disk Manager only offers a tiny reduction in size due to "unmovable files". I have already disabled swap, hibernate and system protection and rebooted. What else should I do?

:)

ricecrispies, Mar 3, 2017
  2. qinada Win User

my disk drive is not shrink beyond the point

You cannot shrink Unmovable files via disk management, but you can directly directly

shrink partition with unmovable files
    by AOMEI Partition Assistant. It is a freeware for Windows 10/8/7 that can easily shrink a volume or partition beyond the point where the unmovable files are located without the need to manually disable the unmovable
    files.

qinada, Mar 3, 2017
  3. Shoegoo Win User
    Windows 10 "We couldn't update the system reserved partition"

I have a 100mb system partition. I created apace by reducing my hard drive size but can't expand the original original system partition into that space. Any tips?

Shoegoo, Mar 3, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Can't shrink my system partition despite disabling swap etc.

Bree, Mar 3, 2017
  5. Thanks for those suggestions. I tried defragmenting, and possibly this made a difference, but the main trick I discovered was simply to repeat the shrink operation over and over again. Each time, it would offer me a little bit more to take off until eventually I got the partition down to the size I wanted. Each shrink operation didn't take very long, perhaps because I had already run defrag.

Before I did that I tried Paragon's partition resizer, but that didn't work and I found I had to force a shutdown when it seemed to stop doing anything, which isn't something you really want to do when you are messing about with your partitions.

ricecrispies, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't shrink my system partition despite disabling swap etc.

1. Can't shrink my system partition despite disabling swap etc. - Similar Threads - Can't shrink system

2. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  3. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  4. Unable to shrink a partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to shrink a partition: I have a new SSD and am trying to install Windows Home from a USB drive. I can see in Disk Management several partitions that Windows created, but Windows fails to install due to error 0x8007025D. One suggestion from Microsoft is to reduce the partition to 125GB currently...
  5. Partition manager can't shrink

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Partition manager can't shrink: I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm stumped. I want to shrink my Windows partition, which is 750GB and has over 450GB free. Disk management still says that the partition can be shrunk by 0 bytes. I tried to clear my hard drive as much as possible, but can't remove...
  6. Can't shrink system disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't shrink system disk: Hello, fellows! Can someone provide advice - why I can't shrink a disk that's almost 3/4 free? Ever before it was shrinkable with no problem. As u can see on the screensot, I can shrink disk 7GB only, while ever before I could shrink it any volume I wished. It's...
  7. System is "Shrinking"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System is "Shrinking": Hello,On 5-Oct-2019, checked C drive properties, occupied size was 29.2 GB, including 1 restore point.Yesterday 7-Oct-2019, before shutting down computer, checked it again, C drive properties were 26.1 GB - restore point gone, don't know how. I did not do anything, no update,...
  8. Questions re: Expanding System Partition, Shrinking Windows Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Questions re: Expanding System Partition, Shrinking Windows Partition: Hello Everyone, Hopefully I'm not duplicating a thread I haven't found. I'm running Windows Home v. 1803, Build 17134.829 on a Lenovo IdeaPad laptop. Windows Update failed to install the July CU (KB4507435) for v. 1803 with error code 0x800f0922 (possible cause: too-small...
  9. System Shrinks ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Shrinks ?: Hello Forum, My win 10 system, including office and several installed programs, and one restore point, occupies approx. 30.6 GB on "C" drive at starting the pc.Along the day it 'grows' up to approx. 32 GB, no installations or updates.Yesterday I ran a small (portable)...
  10. System Shrinks ?

in Windows 10 Support
    System Shrinks ?: Hello Forum, My win 10 system, including office and several installed programs, and one restore point, occupies approx. 30.6 GB on "C" drive at starting the pc.Along the day it 'grows' up to approx. 32 GB, no installations or updates.Yesterday I ran a small (portable)...