Windows 10: Can't shrink SSD partition beyond certain size

Discus and support Can't shrink SSD partition beyond certain size in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm trying to shrink the system partition on my SSD to dual boot but it says that the available shrink space size is 16281 MB. I already forced TRIM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mysticBTW, May 4, 2021.

1. mysticBTW Win User

Can't shrink SSD partition beyond certain size

I'm trying to shrink the system partition on my SSD to dual boot but it says that the available shrink space size is 16281 MB. I already forced TRIM and ran Windows Cleanup but it's still stuck there Windows 10 20H2

:)

mysticBTW, May 4, 2021
  2. mysticBTW Win User

I'm trying to shrink the system partition on my SSD to dual boot but it says that the available shrink space size is 16281 MB.
    I already forced TRIM and ran Windows Cleanup but it's still stuck there

Windows 10 20H2

mysticBTW, May 4, 2021
  3. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, May 4, 2021
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    Even better -- make bootable iso of GPARTED and boot it. GPARTED has a load of error fixing things in it too if you need them.

GParted -- A free application for graphically managing disk
    device partitions

Interface is pretty similar to all the "Usual Partition Managers" out there. There's often advantages in using stand alone bootable partition managers -- I also think the minitool one doesn't have a bootable standalone version certainly not for the free one.

Screenshot --OK on Linux currently but works just the same with NTFS partitions -- to resize just move just slide the partition to the size you want. Data recover available too if needed. Plus copy etc.

Can't shrink SSD partition beyond certain size [​IMG]

I find also that software that has "Free and Paid" versions often nag you to "Go Pro" I.E pay and the features you actually want to use are in the "Pro" bit.

GPARTED is 100% Free, Open source and has data recovery too plus can handle almost any type of file system Linux, Windows etc etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Can't shrink SSD partition beyond certain size - Similar Threads - Can't shrink SSD

2. you cannot shrink beyond limits

in Windows 10 Gaming
    you cannot shrink beyond limits: A volume shrink analysis was initiated on volume C:. This event log entry details information about the last unmovable file that could limit the maximum number of reclaimable bytes. Diagnostic details: - The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA - The...
  3. you cannot shrink beyond limits

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    you cannot shrink beyond limits: A volume shrink analysis was initiated on volume C:. This event log entry details information about the last unmovable file that could limit the maximum number of reclaimable bytes. Diagnostic details: - The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA - The...
  4. At the time of disk partition it's showing "my disk drive is not shrink beyond the point"....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    At the time of disk partition it's showing "my disk drive is not shrink beyond the point"....: At the time of disk partition it's showing "my disk drive is not shrink beyond the point". I am using window 11 latest version. Kindly help...
  5. Cannot shrink Windows partition beyond 4gb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot shrink Windows partition beyond 4gb: I’m currently in the process of dualbooting Ubuntu along with my Windows 10 installation. Whenever I try to create a new partition for my linux installation, it doesn’t allow me to raise the megabytes above 4545 megabytes. I have 300gbs free on my HDD and I want atleast 100gb...
  6. Partition manager can't shrink

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Partition manager can't shrink: I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm stumped. I want to shrink my Windows partition, which is 750GB and has over 450GB free. Disk management still says that the partition can be shrunk by 0 bytes. I tried to clear my hard drive as much as possible, but can't remove...
  7. Can't shrink ssd, need help!

Can't shrink ssd, need help!: submitted by /u/Subkist [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f604cf/cant_shrink_ssd_need_help/
  8. Can't shrink HD partition enough to copy to a smaller SSD

Can't shrink HD partition enough to copy to a smaller SSD: HP Core i3 desktop, Windows 10 1809 (PC originally came from HP with Win7) It's my Dad's desktop PC and I'm upgrading it to a 240gb SSD. Current drive is a 5400rpm 1tb HD. He has less than 50gb of space used (after cleanup) on the existing C: partition, so there's just no...
  9. shrink size of c drive while partitioning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shrink size of c drive while partitioning: Error "Access is denied" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shrink-size-of-c-drive-while-partitioning/9d56b50a-0b10-406b-bdd5-0bb96bdf9791"
  10. Expanding SSD Partition Size

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Expanding SSD Partition Size: I have a Samsung 850 EVO 500g SSD that was originally made to house two partitions, C: and D:. I've migrated all my files from D: to another drive and have unallocated the D: drive. But now I'm having trouble allocating all the space now recovered from D: to the C:...