Windows 10: Can't shrink system disk

Discus and support Can't shrink system disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, fellows! Can someone provide advice - why I can't shrink a disk that's almost 3/4 free? Ever before it was shrinkable with no problem. As... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by АМ., Nov 20, 2019.

1. АМ. Win User

Can't shrink system disk

Hello, fellows!

Can someone provide advice - why I can't shrink a disk that's almost 3/4 free?

Ever before it was shrinkable with no problem.

As u can see on the screensot, I can shrink disk 7GB only, while ever before I could shrink it any volume I wished.

It's needed to run Intel Performance Maximizer - it works from a separate 16GB volume only.

Can't shrink system disk 8c20562a-66d4-438b-b45c-40015dc2d09e?upload=true.png

:)

АМ., Nov 20, 2019

2. Unable to shrink C: drive less that 480GB in Disk management on Windows 10.

Hello Lex,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

a. What happens when you try shrinking
    C: drive below 500 GB, do you get any error message/error code?

To create a partition or volume (the two terms are often used interchangeably) on a hard disk, you must be logged in as an administrator, and there must be either unallocated disk space or free space within an extended partition on the hard disk.

The disk space of minimum 4GB and maximum of 8GB should be dedicated to Windows 10 installation files & folders on the drive in which the operating system is installed.

I suggest you to check the possibility of shrinking the drive by 420GB in the Disk management by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management from the context menu.
    • Right click on the C: drive from the window and select
      Shrink Volume from the context menu.
    • Enter 504000 in the Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB box and click on
      Shrink.
    • Right click on the Unallocated drive which was recently created and select
      New simple volume.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions and assign the drive letter from the window.
    • After the drive letter is assigned and the procedure is complete, right click on the newly created drive and select
      Open from the context menu.
    • Check if the partition is displayed in the File Explorer.

Write to us with the answer to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same
    post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 20, 2019
  3. Unable to shrink C: drive less that 480GB in Disk management on Windows 10.

Hi,

I bought a new laptop with 2TB HDD and able to shrink volume till 560GB and now I cannot shrink below.

I want to keep the OS drive of 150 GB and rest to be unallocated just for creating another volume when required.

Pls do help!!!

Regards,

Krishna

It does not show any error buts just the volume to be shrink is 0

KrishnaDarbha, Nov 20, 2019
  4. Can't shrink system disk

Unable to shrink C: drive less that 480GB in Disk management on Windows 10.

Hi,

I bought a new laptop with 2TB HDD and able to shrink volume till 560GB and now I cannot shrink below.

I want to keep the OS drive of 150 GB and rest to be unallocated just for creating another volume when required.

Pls do help!!!

Regards,

Krishna

KrishnaDarbha, Nov 20, 2019
Thema:

Can't shrink system disk

1. Can't shrink system disk - Similar Threads - Can't shrink system

2. Used disk space keeps shrinking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Used disk space keeps shrinking: I have a 256 SSD and I was assigned for the C: partition 142 GB, at first there was 90 GB of space free, now it's 100 GB of free space, no I haven't turned on Storage Sense or any Disk saving utilities outside nor inside windows. Can anyone explain what is happening and how...
  3. No option to shrink partition in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No option to shrink partition in Disk Management: Hi, I've got a question about my Windows 10 Home laptop. I don't use it as much now but I thought about a scenario where I can install another copy of Windows 10 on a new partition (it's a 1tb SSD) to use as testing for Windows Insider builds - I've had a look around on this...
  4. disk shrinking problems?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk shrinking problems?: im trying to shrink my disk volume and it says this I cant change it to 10000 just 1994? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-shrinking-problems/eadee259-e14a-4116-a6f6-0eac32808797
  5. disk space keeps shrinking

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    disk space keeps shrinking: hi my disk space on my hard drive keeps shrinking, i did a factory reset and its back to normal but now its shrinking every day, i have installed nothing on it except chrome and firefox and just use it for browsing. i read to disable sys protection and del restore points,...
  6. System is "Shrinking"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System is "Shrinking": Hello,On 5-Oct-2019, checked C drive properties, occupied size was 29.2 GB, including 1 restore point.Yesterday 7-Oct-2019, before shutting down computer, checked it again, C drive properties were 26.1 GB - restore point gone, don't know how. I did not do anything, no update,...
  7. System Shrinks ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Shrinks ?: Hello Forum, My win 10 system, including office and several installed programs, and one restore point, occupies approx. 30.6 GB on "C" drive at starting the pc.Along the day it 'grows' up to approx. 32 GB, no installations or updates.Yesterday I ran a small (portable)...
  8. System Shrinks ?

in Windows 10 Support
    System Shrinks ?: Hello Forum, My win 10 system, including office and several installed programs, and one restore point, occupies approx. 30.6 GB on "C" drive at starting the pc.Along the day it 'grows' up to approx. 32 GB, no installations or updates.Yesterday I ran a small (portable)...
  9. Shrink system image?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Shrink system image?: Is there any way to shrink a system backup image? I usually use the built-in "Win 7" backup function, but it creates an image about the same size as the working install, which is usually about 21GB. This is a problem on eMMCs, which typically run 64 or even just 32GB of total...
  10. Disk management fails to shrink volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk management fails to shrink volume: I want to shrink the G: volume but Disk Management shows the following error after the "Querying available shrink space ..." message: "An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, then...