Windows 10: cant shrink volume

Discus and support cant shrink volume in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; got a dual boot system with ubuntu, want to shrink volume so i can give ubuntu more space but cant(despite having 200gb space). tried using 3rd party... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/azattr, May 16, 2020.

1. /u/azattr Win User

cant shrink volume

got a dual boot system with ubuntu, want to shrink volume so i can give ubuntu more space but cant(despite having 200gb space). tried using 3rd party software but they all require a lisence. is there any way to fix this problem without paying for 3rd party software?

submitted by /u/azattr
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/azattr, May 16, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Shrinking a volume

Hi tfd3

Close Disk Management

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd

From the resulting list, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Paste this command and hit Enter:

diskpart

Paste this command and hit Enter:

list volume

(note down the number of the Volume you intend to shrink)

Paste this command and hit Enter (replace x with correct volume number)

select volume x

extend filesystem

When that completes, close Command Prompt and try shrinking that partition again in Disk Management

DaveM121, May 16, 2020
  3. tfd3 Win User
    Shrinking a volume

Hi, Dave. I followed your instructions. All seemed to go well, but Disk Management still reports "The parameter is incorrect" when I try to shrink the volume.

Tom ()

--------------------------------

4. tfd3 Win User

cant shrink volume

Shrinking a volume

Thanks, Stefano. At your suggestion I did a Defragmentation on the drive I want to shrink. That took almost a day on a 1 TB drive. The drive is now 0% fragmented. But still I'm getting "wrong perameter" when I try to shrink the volume. Here's a screenshot
    of the dialog window for shrinking the drive:

The amount of space I last put in to shrink was 50012. Any idea why that didn't work?

Tom

Thema:

cant shrink volume

1. cant shrink volume - Similar Threads - cant shrink volume

2. can not shrink volume on drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can not shrink volume on drive: when i try to shrink the drive the option to shrink volume is not there but when i try do the same on windows c: it works perfectly fine, the option to shrink the drive is grey and wont let me click on it istead of being black, https://i.postimg.cc/W3Yr625V/111.png - this is...
  3. can not shrink volume on drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can not shrink volume on drive: when i try to shrink the drive the option to shrink volume is not there but when i try do the same on windows c: it works perfectly fine, the option to shrink the drive is grey and wont let me click on it istead of being black, https://i.postimg.cc/W3Yr625V/111.png - this is...
  4. can not shrink volume on drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Shrinking volume of c drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shrinking volume of c drive: On shrinking volume off c drive free space:600+ gb, the available size for shrinking is 200 mb only . I have tried defragmenting but nothing happened. I want to create a new partition but the max size available for that is only 200 mb. Help!!!!...
  6. volume shrink help

in Windows 10 Customization
    volume shrink help: i bought new laptop with win 10 it has SSD 521gb but it has only one drive which is c: which has windows how can i make other drives d and e out of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shrink-help/3cc44158-3f66-4958-8528-aebf20296719
  7. Shrinking a volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shrinking a volume: I'm having trouble trying to shrink a volume on an external hard drive. The Disk Management dialog window asks for the number of megabytes I want to reduce. Every time I try a number I get a "wrong perameter" error. Why?...
  8. Unable to Shrink Volume

Unable to Shrink Volume: Just got an ASUS laptop. In Disk Management I want to shrink C: a small amount and use the partition for my data. But, regardless of what value I put in Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB I get The parameter is incorrect The size that is available to shrink is 45032...
  9. Need Help With Shrink Volume!

Need Help With Shrink Volume!: Hello everyone! I was trying to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu and before i can do that i have to make a partition for it and i have a hard drive in my laptop that is over 220 GB big but when i go to create a partition it says the biggest i can make the partition is 6 GB!!!...
  10. shrinking volume with OS on it

shrinking volume with OS on it: Howdy, I've inherited a desktop with Windows 10 installed on a 1TB, single partition drive. For better or worse I belong to the "partitions" school, and would like to partition this physical drive into 2 or maybe even 3 logical partitions. From what I've found thus...