Windows 10: Can't shutdown or sleep properly (at all)

Discus and support Can't shutdown or sleep properly (at all) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Yesterday I had this 'Anniversary Update' (Win 10) installed to my laptop (Lenovo S540) and after that I've been having major issues when it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by skilman66, Sep 24, 2016.

1. skilman66 Win User

Can't shutdown or sleep properly (at all)

Hello,

Yesterday I had this 'Anniversary Update' (Win 10) installed to my laptop (Lenovo S540) and after that I've been having major issues when it comes to shutting down my computer or when it goes to sleep (both automatically + when I manually set it to sleep mode).

When in sleep: I can't turn it on anymore, screen is black, I am forced to restart it by holding the physical power button to shut it down and then turn it on again.

When shutting down: It's stuck on "Shutting down..." with the loading circle for a while, then I just give up and do the same by holding the physical power button. I also noticed that my cursor is still on the screen when it's loading to shut down, and when I click shortly after it's been on that screen, it just turns to a dark grey screen with nothing visible and it's just stuck on that.

I've looked at google already, maybe not thoroughly, but I've followed the most common resolution steps such as having drivers up to date, turning off fast start up and making sure my antivirus is up to date.

I was hoping to get proper help here.

Thanks in advance.

:)

skilman66, Sep 24, 2016

2. Why my Laptop doesn't shutdown properly and not goes to sleep properly after installing windows 10?

I am using windows 10 since a long time. It is so good. But few days ago I have reinstalled my windows 10 and from then my computer doesn't go to sleep mode properly and not shutdown properly. It produces heat after shutdown or sleep and drains battery.
    Then my computer doesn't open until I do long press to the power button and shutdown properly. What should I do?? All the drivers and updates are up to date.

Tonmoy Ghosh, Sep 24, 2016
  3. Gan_666 Win User
    Laptop does not shutdown when i click shutdown and close the lid, it sleeps instead.

Whenever i click shutdown on my laptop, i directly close the lid. However, the laptop sleeps instead of shutdown. The bulb icon on my laptop which indicates the laptop is sleeping tells me that the laptop did not shutdown properly. I have to open the lid
    again for it to shutdown properly. Please tell me that there's a fix to this. Thank you.

Gan_666, Sep 24, 2016
  4. Can't shutdown or sleep properly (at all)

TairikuOkami, Sep 28, 2016
  5. It could be time for a clean reinstall of Win 10. Shutdown/Startup hangs have been reported by a number of users (including me). A clean reinstall usually fixes it. (But that's a pretty crappy suggestion if you don't fall into the "usually" category.)

pokeefe0001, Sep 28, 2016
  6. sygnus21 Win User
    You can clean install Windows 10 times and the issue could still remain. This was a big issue when Windows 10 was initially released. All you have to do is search this forum and you'll see all sorts of threads over this issue. There was even one saying Microsoft fixed the issue. Still... the issue persists!

I occasionally had sleep issues, but they were tolerable (2 out of 10). Now after the Anniversary update, 8 out 10 times Windows won't sleep, even after a restart.

All that said, I would urge any with this issue to try and find the latest drivers for all your devices, especially if they (drivers) were released after the Anniversary update. There's no guarantee it'll solve the issue, it didn't for me, but at least give it a try. It may work for you.

Good luck.

sygnus21, Sep 28, 2016
  7. crabmann Win User
    I wish my problem was cant shut down. Mine is it goes to sleep after 1 minute of not moving the mouse and kicks me over to the login. I've timed it 4 times.
    I have reset my sleep and shut down times. No help.

It seems after every update "to resolve problems" I have to spend a week trying to get back to a usable system.

crabmann, Sep 28, 2016
  8. skilman66 Win User

Fast startup is disabled. I won't clean reinstall but I'll update all my drivers. Probably won't fix though.

skilman66, Sep 28, 2016
  9. skilman66 Win User
    I went over every single driver in the list and looked for updates, there were some small ones and some major ones. That seems to have fixed it, thanks!! Shuts down, goes to sleep and restarts properly now *Smile

skilman66, Sep 28, 2016
  10. sygnus21 Win User
    Thanks. Glad it worked for you.

And thanks *Smile

Good luck.

sygnus21, Sep 28, 2016
  11. Glad it fixed the issue and make it habitual of doing SFC scan every month
    open CMD as admin then type sfc /scannow hit enter and wait till it finishes
    its good practice to do it once a month

MirnaDorris, Sep 28, 2016
  12. skilman66 Win User
    It was fine right after I updated the drivers but now it's happening again *Sad

skilman66, Sep 28, 2016
  13. sygnus21 Win User

Unfortunately this is not all that surprising *Sad

You might look at other areas though, particularly running processes. However, I have no real answers for you as this has been an issue even Microsoft can't seem to fix.

Good luck.

sygnus21, Sep 29, 2016
  14. skilman66 Win User
    Well I rarely use sleep mode, and I don't mind turning off my computer via holding down the power button, but I'm worried that that way of shutting down is harmful or just bad for the computer... Is it? Or it is completely fine?

EDIT: I had a quick look at the processes in task manager, I noticed this one using the most memory:

Can't shutdown or sleep properly (at all) [​IMG]

I have had issues with "svchost" in the past as well, where it slowed down my computer a lot so I had to find it in services and disable it. Do you guys think this one may be the issue again? I am not entirely sure myself what exactly svchost does, so I'd rather ask your opinions first.

EDIT #2: It currently works fine right now, odd... *sarc

skilman66, Sep 29, 2016
  15. As I understand it, an "svchost" is an executable that launches a Windows internal process that lives in a dll (or maybe also in other non-exe files). Therefor, there are almost always lots svchosts running. If a process is causing performance problems it very likely will be running under "svchost" but so will lots of other harmless (and important) processes. So unfortunately, seeing svchost running tells you nothing.

Utilities like Process Explorer will show what is running under some svchosts, but not all of them.

pokeefe0001, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't shutdown or sleep properly (at all) - Similar Threads - Can't shutdown sleep

2. Sleep vs shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep vs shutdown: I just bought a new hard drive that is running Windows 11 Professional. Is it better to shut down the computer at the end of the day use it occasionally throughout the day, or is it better to have it go into sleep mode?Thanks,Carol...
  3. Sleep changes to shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep changes to shutdown: When i put my laptop on sleep and when i try to wake it up after apprximately 30 mins .i saw that the laptop has shut down when it was on sleep...plz fiz it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-changes-to-shutdown/52944a22-93e2-41e6-a143-6c4c01b9ee08
  4. Microsoft Windows 10 Can't Shutdown Properly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Windows 10 Can't Shutdown Properly: Hey guys. Whenever I want to shutdown my computer, it keeps rebooting after the initial shutdown progress. I can shut it down by shift clicking the shutdown button or putting the prompt in CMD, but I would like to fix this without turning the Fast Startup mode off...
  5. Signout All application during shutdown/restart/sleep

Signout All application during shutdown/restart/sleep: When I have shut down the system or restarted it, or when I go back from sleep position, the account will automatically remove or logout from the applications I already have signed. Because of that I'm forced to log in again every time. It's very difficult for me .. This...
  6. Shutdown and Sleep Problem

Shutdown and Sleep Problem: I have Windows 10 in my HP Pavilion 15 Laptop. I am not able to shutdown my laptop even not able to put my laptop on sleep mode. Whenever, I shutdown my laptop its screen became blank and hard disk stop running while power button & Power led still show light. In that...
  7. Sleep/shutdown problems

Sleep/shutdown problems: I have been suffering from a wake from sleep/on from shutdown problem for a while now. On all current updated windows 10 20.04, chipset drivers for mobo mobo and processor, current radeon drivers for gpu. All current optional windows drivers have been tried as well. My rig:...
  8. Sleep and Shutdown

Sleep and Shutdown: This problem is really ridiculous. There are 3 pc's in the house and the main oneMINE has the problem.I have tried everything in all the previous folks that have the same problem to no sleep or shutdown. I have been just turning off monitors so they aren't damaged,if that...
  9. Monitor will not sleep on shutdown

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor will not sleep on shutdown: Hi, I just changed from DVI to HDMI and now when I shutdown my computer my monitor will not enter sleep mode, and will display 'Cable Not Connected' as shown in the image attached. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. [img] 36724
  10. Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.: Hey guys. I hope someone here can help me with my current problem on my desktop. Whenever I try to shutdown my computer the montior shuts off and my drives stops after a few seconds, but my fans and LEDs keeps running. I've tried to do all the suggestions from My Laptop...