Windows 10: Can't shutdown PC; can't restart explorer.exe

Discus and support Can't shutdown PC; can't restart explorer.exe in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; windows 10 pro version 2004... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MonoRing, Apr 26, 2020.

1. MonoRing Win User

Can't shutdown PC; can't restart explorer.exe

windows 10 pro version 2004

:)

MonoRing, Apr 26, 2020
  2. Vinodh.V Win User

ShutDown button in desktop (Win-10)

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

You can create shortcut for Shutdown, restart and sleep by following the below steps:

• First right-click on the desktop, choose New and then Shortcut.
    • In the shortcut location box, you’ll need to enter the correct command, which I’ve listed for you below.
    • For Shutdown type the below command:
    Shutdown.exe -s -t 00

• For Restart type the below command:
    Shutdown.exe -r -t 00

• For Sleep type the below command:
    rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

After you click Finish, you should now have a new icon that you can double-click to immediately shutdown, restart, or lock your computer.

Hope this information helps, for further assistance please reply.

Vinodh.V, Apr 26, 2020
  3. Catper Win User
    ShutDown button in desktop (Win-10)

yeah it works but i have another problem with this combination.

Shutdown/Restart shortcut force windows to shutdown without letting other apps to save their data, that is a bit nuisance.

for eg:

Utorrent is force closed and when i start the pc, it re-calculate all the toorents in the list even those that are already downloaded and currently in seeding state. It happens when utorrent is not closed properly.

So is there any way to NORMALLY shutdown/restart/loggoff/lock windows pc?

Catper, Apr 26, 2020
  4. Can't shutdown PC; can't restart explorer.exe

Apps reopening on start up after shutdown/restart

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. Please confirm if you already install the
    January 31st update (KB4058258 (OS Build 16299.214)) and perform the steps provided
    by PaulSey....

You can also use command line to disable apps from auto reopening in Windows.

• Open Command Prompt and type command shutdown -t 0 -s to shut down.
    • If you want to restart use command shutdown -t 0 -r and hit Enter.

Let us know how it goes.

Lemuel Cie, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

Can't shutdown PC; can't restart explorer.exe

1. Can't shutdown PC; can't restart explorer.exe - Similar Threads - Can't shutdown can't

2. I can't shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't shutdown: i press the power off button but the PC doesn't turn off, after a while i choose the power option again but this time the shutdown button and other options don't show up. i try win+R and after the run window pops up my wallpaper I'm black except for the icons that appear on...
  3. I can't shutdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't shutdown: i press the power off button but the PC doesn't turn off, after a while i choose the power option again but this time the shutdown button and other options don't show up. i try win+R and after the run window pops up my wallpaper I'm black except for the icons that appear on...
  4. Can't restart my PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't restart my PC: I restarted my computer device one hour ago. Suddenly the background turned blue, the white dots began to spin and it wrote "Getting windows ready Don't turn off your computer"The situation is still the same after an hour. what should I do?...
  5. Update and shutdown or restart can't be removed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update and shutdown or restart can't be removed: Hello Any ideas on what seems to be the problem? I tried windows update 2004 for the 3rd time already and I can still see the update and sbutdown or restart. It is supposed to be shutdown and restart already because the windows update is done. I also tried disabling windows...
  6. My computer can't restart, shutdown, sign out, ...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My computer can't restart, shutdown, sign out, ...: My computer OS is windows 10. I try to shutdown normally but my computer doesn't turn off. Then I have to cut down the electricity to turn off the computer . p/s: Sorry I'm not good at English....
  7. Can't right click .exes, explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't right click .exes, explorer crashes.: Hi, I've been having this issue since yesterday. When I try to open the context menu for an executable to, let´s say, launch it as administrator, the cursor appears as loading and the context menu won't appear. I can right-click folders and images, my problem seems to be only...
  8. Laptop wifi suddenly disabled and can't shutdown and restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop wifi suddenly disabled and can't shutdown and restart: Just bought this laptop asus vivobook s14 s410U and windows 10 original istalled there two months ago. The problem started yesterday. I was playing game and the laptop wifi suddenly disabled i can't enable it also. I tried to restart it and it keep displaying restarting and...
  9. Can't run .exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't run .exe: An update to AVG was performed on our computer. After that ran, when we try to open any program we receive the message: xxxx.exe- Application error the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000135). Click OK to close the application. This occurs for any...
  10. Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.: Hey guys. I hope someone here can help me with my current problem on my desktop. Whenever I try to shutdown my computer the montior shuts off and my drives stops after a few seconds, but my fans and LEDs keeps running. I've tried to do all the suggestions from My Laptop...