Windows 10: Can't sign in to get UEFI-key for private drives

Discus and support Can't sign in to get UEFI-key for private drives in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello,This is maybe a little bit stupid...I made a new Windows install on a drive that that was not my primary drive for my Windows 10. So then I had 2... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Rasmus Røssum RAR, May 5, 2023.

1. Can't sign in to get UEFI-key for private drives

Hello,This is maybe a little bit stupid...I made a new Windows install on a drive that that was not my primary drive for my Windows 10. So then I had 2 Windows OS on two drives. I also had some other drives. Then I enabled UEFI for in BIOS and logged into the Windows 11 and made it a company device. Then I set my private drives to "Offline" in diskpart and then I deleted the computer in Azure. Then I logged into my old Windows 10 and then my drives is not UEFI encrypted. Now I logged back into the the Windows 11 - and I could access all my drives. Then I made my computer sleep. Then I tried lo

:)

Rasmus Røssum RAR, May 5, 2023
  2. btarunr Win User

AMIBIOS Source Code and AMI's UEFI Signing Key Leaked

An FTP server in Taiwan that could be publicly accessed, leaked the source code of AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS, including AMI's unique UEFI signing test key. The utterly irresponsible act of holding such sensitive data on public FTPs is suspected to be committed by motherboard vendor Jetway. In doing so, the company may have compromised security of every motherboard (across vendors) running AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS. Most socket LGA1155 and FM2 motherboards, and some socket AM3+ motherboards run AMI Aptio.

Among the leaked bits of software include the source code of AMI BIOS, Aptio, and AMI's UEFI test signing key, which is used by all its clients to sign their BIOS updates. Signing ensures that BIOS updating software verifies the update is genuine, and coming from the motherboard manufacturer. With this key out, malware developers can develop malicious BIOS updates, hack motherboard vendors' customer support websites, and replace legitimate BIOS updates with their malicious ones. Control over the system BIOS could then give hackers access to most ring-0 OS functions.

Can't sign in to get UEFI-key for private drives 50a_thm.jpg

"By leaking this key and the firmware source, it is possible (and simple) for others to create malicious UEFI updates that will be validated & installed for the vendor's products that use this firmware. If the vendor used this same key for other products - the impact could be even worse," writes Adam Caudill, who along with Brandon Wilson, discovered the open FTP server. "This kind of leak is a dream come true for advanced corporate espionage or intelligence operations. The ability to create a nearly undetectable, permanent hole in a system's security is an ideal scenario for covert information collection," he added.

Source: Adam Caudill's Blog

btarunr, May 5, 2023
  3. Install Windows 10 using UEFI bootable USB thumb drive

You need to go into you system bios and select allow uefi usb drive. Then add the UEFI usb drive to the boot menu

better way to partition aand create an bootable usb.

For the UEFI system, we can use these steps to create the bootable USB:

1.Locate a 4GB or larger USB flash drive

2.Open Diskpart and run the following command cmd admin type diskpart

• Type DiskPart in the command prompt.
    • Type "List Disk” (make note of the disk number of the target USB drive).
    • Type "Select Disk X”, where X is the target USB drive noted in step 4.
    • Type "Clean”.
    • Type "Create Partition Primary”.
    • Type "format FS=fat32 quick”.
    • Type "Active”.
    • Type "Assign".
    • Type "Exit".

Copy your ISO files to the drive and reboot

never use UEFI it better to repartition and remove UEFI go with legacy bois

bfvetscolakid, May 5, 2023
  4. Can't sign in to get UEFI-key for private drives

how do I export certificates and/or private keys?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to export a certificate with a private key

1. Open the Certificates console for the user, computer, or service you want to manage.

2. In the console pane, select the certificate store and container holding the certificate that you want to export.

3. In the details pane, click the certificate you want to export.

4. On the Action menu, point to
    All Tasks, and then click Export.

5. In the Certificate Export Wizard, click
    Yes, export the private key. (This option will appear only if the private key is marked as exportable and you have access to the private key.)

6. Under Export File Format, do one or all of the following, and then click
    Next.

• To include all certificates in the certification path, select the
      Include all certificates in the certification path if possible check box.
    • To enable strong protection, select the Enable strong protection (requires IE 5.0, NT 4.0 SP4 or above) check box.
    • To delete the private key if the export is successful, select the
      Delete the private key if the export is successful
      check box.
    7.In Password, type a password to encrypt the private key you are exporting. In
    Confirm password, type the same password again, and then click
    Next

8. In File name, type a file name and path for the PKCS #12 file that will store the exported certificate and private key, click
    Next, and then click Finish.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, May 5, 2023
Thema:

Can't sign in to get UEFI-key for private drives

1. Can't sign in to get UEFI-key for private drives - Similar Threads - Can't sign UEFI

2. Can't sign in to get UEFI-key for private drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't sign in to get UEFI-key for private drives: Hello,This is maybe a little bit stupid...I made a new Windows install on a drive that that was not my primary drive for my Windows 10. So then I had 2 Windows OS on two drives. I also had some other drives. Then I enabled UEFI for in BIOS and logged into the Windows 11 and...
  3. Can't sign in to get UEFI-key for private drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't sign in to get UEFI-key for private drives: Hello,This is maybe a little bit stupid...I made a new Windows install on a drive that that was not my primary drive for my Windows 10. So then I had 2 Windows OS on two drives. I also had some other drives. Then I enabled UEFI for in BIOS and logged into the Windows 11 and...
  4. Can't boot in UEFI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot in UEFI: I purchased a MSI motherboard B550M with an AMD Ryzen processor. Installed everything and then tried to boot my PC. It would not boot in UEFI mode only in CSM. After updating the bios as told by the MB manufacturer, same problem. So then I went into the Windows...
  5. Can't enter UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't enter UEFI: ASUS ROG GL531GT-RS53 Windows 10 Pro sysinfo > Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 winver > Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.746) (laptop purchased with Home, paid for & upgraded to Pro) Left the laptop running last night (just closed the lid - set to "do nothing") and when I woke...
  6. One drive can't sign in

in Windows 10 Customization
    One drive can't sign in: One drive can't sign in. It shows a red cross mark and when I click on it to open, it is always trying to sign in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-cant-sign-in/7b9ae5ab-3516-4dea-b4d2-b022af4724c9
  7. Can't boot uefi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot uefi: Hello, Recently I helped a friend with upgrading to an SSD and installed Windows 10 Pro. I used a custom .iso and burned it using Rufus gpt. I set the computer to boot uefi, disabled secure boot. The computer worked perfectly, however after sometime they started getting a...
  8. Windows UEFI Secure Boot .efi File Signed by Customized Key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows UEFI Secure Boot .efi File Signed by Customized Key: Hi, My company is recently exploring an feature related Secure Boot, we want our hardware to enable secure boot on Windows, then lock down the firmware. Thus, no one can erase our Windows OS and install other OS. After several attempts, I noticed that Windows will not...
  9. Can't get into ACER UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't get into ACER UEFI: A friend gave my brother an ACER desktop PC and he asked me to check it out and see about updating it to the newest win 10 version.....The problem I'm having is I can't get into the Bios/UEFI to change the boot order to boot from a Microsoft USB stick with the latest version...
  10. UEFI drive question?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI drive question?: Hi All, Sorry but UEFI is all gobbledygook to me. I have 4 internal hard drives: 500Gb SSD (C Drive) 2 x internal 1TB SATA drives, and I've kept my old 250Gb SSD which used to have my operating system on, inside my computer for backups. I've disabled the 2 SATA drives,...