Windows 10: Can't stop machine waking itself from hibernation

Discus and support Can't stop machine waking itself from hibernation in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My desktop machine keeps waking itself up from hibernation, usually during the night, despite my having taken all reasonable steps to stop it. I have:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ricecrispies, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Can't stop machine waking itself from hibernation

My desktop machine keeps waking itself up from hibernation, usually during the night, despite my having taken all reasonable steps to stop it. I have:
    • disabled waking on network, mouse and RTC in BIOS setup
    • disabled wake on mouse and network in device manager (and checked with powercfg -devicequery wake_armed)
    • disabled "allow wake timers" for all power plans
    It doesn't however wake itself up from S5 (shutdown). I also tried leaving it in S3 sleep for over 24 hours and it didn't wake up, although that's not long enough to be certain that it never would.

Unfortunately my records in Event Viewer only go back a bit over a week to my upgrade to Windows 10, but I did notice a pattern in the first few days of waking at around 00:17 or 00:18 in the morning. Event Viewer suggested that this was due to mcupdate_scheduler, which was scheduled to run at 00:19, so I changed the trigger (following some instructions from Microsoft), but the next night the machine woke earlier, at 23:45. Unfortunately event viewer had no idea what caused that particular event. And today I have just run powercfg -waketimer and apparently there is a task \blah\blah\updateorchestrator\reboot which requires waking the machine just after 02:00 tomorrow morning. Clearly trying to change each individual trigger is a hopeless game of whack-a-mole which will sooner or later result in my wrecking something. How on earth can I stop my machine waking up?

:)

ricecrispies, Aug 8, 2015
  2. DaveCG Win User

Transition from sleep to hibernate fails

I have a problem with my laptop not hibernating from sleep following the creators edition update.

Before the update I had my machine set to sleep after 20 minutes and hibernate after 30 minutes

For my usage this worked perfectly, if I didn't wake the machine up from sleep then

I would probably not be back for some time so would hibernate to save power.

Following the creators update my laptop would sleep fine but when it wakes to hibernate it fails and

goes back to sleep. This repeats for ever until I wake the machine.

If I manually hibernate the laptop it works fine.

I have tracked the problem down to a wake timer being set for a backup to a server running Windows Home Server 2011.

This wake timer prevents hibernating from sleep even if the wake timer is set for many hours in the future.

If I disable the task that sets this wake timer the sleep then hibernate operation works as it used to but

of course the backup never runs.

If I change the power option for wake timers to important events only the laptop works as it used to but it does not wake up

to carry out the backup.

I have carried out a number of tests and have discovered that any wake timer that is timed within 24 hours of the

attempt to go from sleep to hibernate will cause the transition to fail.

Could someone please test this as I can't believe this is how Microsoft designed it!!

DaveCG, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Linney Win User
    Toshiba laptop won't stay in sleep mode after downloading Windows 10

As well as any "Wake On" settings in various Windows Settings you may also have similar setting in the Bios of the machine.

How to prevent Windows 10 waking from sleep when traveling in bag?

How to prevent Windows 10 waking from sleep when traveling in bag?

If your machine has a Bios then enter it and check for settings there. It also might be a good idea to see if any Bios Update is available for your model from your OEM Toshiba.

Personally I would not bother with Hibernation, I prefer to Shutdown correctly. Your machine will need to restart occasionally to install all the Windows Updates thrown at it. Nowadays machines start so fast that there is not a lot to be gained from using
    Hibernation. Hibernating overnight might even be a slight risk?

Hibernation, good or bad?

Hibernation, good or bad? - Forums

Linney, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

Can't stop machine waking itself from hibernation

1. Can't stop machine waking itself from hibernation - Similar Threads - Can't stop machine

2. Laptop wakes from Hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop wakes from Hibernate: I know this problem has been posted many times before, but I have yet to see any answers that help me, and I hope that I will, as this is increasingly frustrating. I have an Asus Zenbook UX434FLC and am using the option to Hibernate when I press the Power button. However,...
  3. wake from sleep but not hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    wake from sleep but not hibernation: I have a related problem. I would like to set some task scheduler tasks to wake ONLY from sleep and NOT hibernation when on battery power. Is that possible in win 10? Is it possible that certain BIOSes might allow that to be set? Why I want this: I like hibernation...
  4. Computer freezes while hibernating, wakes itself up from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer freezes while hibernating, wakes itself up from sleep: I've had this problem before where Windows would freeze while hibernating, but had fixed it twice (once it was because a program was trying to access something that wasn't connected by the power supply any more, once because hiberfile.sys was too small), but now it's back...
  5. Windows 10 will wake itself from Hibernate or Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 will wake itself from Hibernate or Sleep mode: I have a laptop and desktop computer running windows 10. Both devices I like to keep in Hibernate or Sleep mode so I can quickly return to where I left my PC. I will put them in sleep/hibernate mode and leave my computer to go to work or go to bed. I'll come home some...
  6. System waking from hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    System waking from hibernate: I have used gpedit.msc to set Enable Windows Update Power Management to disabled but still I come back to my laptop after hibernating it and find it is awake and that powercfg -lastwake shows: C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -lastwake Wake History Count - 1 Wake History [0]...
  7. Wake from hibernation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wake from hibernation: My system goes into Hibernate mode in 180 minutes when I don’t use it and I have to wake it up by pressing the power button. The problem is that I use my laptop mainly as a desktop machine and need to lift the lid and press the button often. Is there any way to wake up the...
  8. PC wakes wakes up from Hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    PC wakes wakes up from Hibernate: A few Preview builds have been acting strangely. If I put computer to sleep or hibernate it wakes up by itself and keeps doing in the loop. Seems like it's happening during the night. Any idea? Thanks 105289
  9. Windows is waking up the machine from hibernation hours later...

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows is waking up the machine from hibernation hours later...: Hello. I usually use hibernation. But now with windows 10 sometimes when I arrive at home, the machine is on. I suspect that the auto update is trying to rebooted the system by itself... is that possible? What could be the reason? Once I saw this happening and soon after...
  10. Computer wakes from hibernation by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer wakes from hibernation by itself: It is happening around 6:00 AM every morning. Oddly it does not seem to be the exact same time. I have seemingly tried every obvious solution. 105084