Windows 10: Can't stop Outlook 2007 from auto starting at boot time

Discus and support Can't stop Outlook 2007 from auto starting at boot time in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Greetings.... As this is my first post I'd like to say what a great forum this is to get help with the quirks and foibles of Win 10. Up until now... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Sam Vimes, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Sam Vimes Win User

Can't stop Outlook 2007 from auto starting at boot time

Greetings....

As this is my first post I'd like to say what a great forum this is to get help with the quirks and foibles of Win 10. Up until now I've been in read only mode since I can usually find the answer to my particular issue but this time I'm beat, hence the post.

In the last week my system has updated to version 1709 (OS Build 16299.125) and apart from blowing away all my Start Menu Items and giving me lots of stuff I don't need or want, things are working well except for one slight annoyance.

I have Outlook 2007 installed but I prefer to launch this myself. This was no problem before the update but now every time I power on it launches automatically.

Now something I think I read is that this latest update can re-launch programs/apps on startup that never terminated correctly when shutting down. My Outlook 2007 is running when I power down. Could it this is my problem - or rather MS's problem since it never happened before?

FYI: I've checked in Task Manager and Outlook 2007 is not in showing in the Startup tab.

Many thanks

:)

Sam Vimes, Feb 2, 2018
  2. jaal---01 Win User

Pc Sync stopped working with Outlook 2007

Windows XP SP2

Outlook 2007

Nokia PC Suite 6.84.10.4

During this week PC Sync stopped working with Outlook 2007.

Suddently it can't access the OUtlook 2007 folders anymore, so it can't sync against Outlook.

When I do want to create new setting I choose my profile and the receiving the message (translated from german): "The Microsoft Outlook can't be initialized."

Any idea? This is very urgent to me as I don't have any calender items or contacts on my phone after the firmware upgrade (the sync did even not work before the upgrade...)

And yes: I've already synced with Outlook 2007.

jaal---01, Feb 2, 2018
  3. Right Task Bar Keeps changing even though locked

I have had to reset my task bar on lower right several times since I updated to W10. I want to be notified when I get new mail (outlook 2007), I want to see my Norton Security status, etc. But every week at least once they go away. Then I have to figure
    out to get them back. Is W10 auto update changing my preference? And if so, who do I stop auto updates from changing my preferences?

hunterabqJLH, Feb 2, 2018
  4. Can't stop Outlook 2007 from auto starting at boot time

Windows 10 FCU update have a new feature that will launch open programs at logon if they are not closed before shuting down the computer.

FreeBooter, Feb 2, 2018
  5. Sam Vimes Win User
    Thanks for the reply and confirmation of what I thought.

Sigh: Yet another offer from MS I can't refuse.*sarc

Sam Vimes, Feb 2, 2018
  6. lx07 Win User
    lx07, Feb 2, 2018
  7. Sam Vimes Win User
    If I understand the tutorial correctly this only applies to auto finishing the update process. This is not the issue I have. The update completed correctly but it's now the fact that unless I close down Outlook 2007 before powering off, it will automatically restart the next time I power on.

I'm just learning to either live with it or remember to close down Outlook 2007 before powering down. Previous versions of Windows including 10 would terminate the process(es) for you when shutting down.

Thanks anyway.

Sam Vimes, Feb 2, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

It did but if you look at the note in the tutorial it has been expanded to do this as well:

Can't stop Outlook 2007 from auto starting at boot time [​IMG]
    Note UPDATE: Starting with Windows 10 build 17040:

Based on your feedback, the feature to restore applications that have registered for application restart after you reboot or shutdown (through power options available on the Start Menu and various other locations) has been set to only occur for users that have enabled “Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting my device after an update or restart” in the Privacy section under Sign-in Options Settings.

Recently (after some unknown to me upgrade but January presumably) it has started working on normal 1709 (non-insider) release.

If this setting doesn't work for you yet, leave it disabled and it should start working when you get the relevant upgrade (i.e. Outlook shouldn't auto restart any more).

lx07, Feb 2, 2018
  9. Sam Vimes Win User
    I confess that I don't fully understand the tutorial, although it still seems to me to relate to Win10 updates. Regardless, I changed the setting indicated in the tutorial and it made no difference. Outlook 2007 still auto starts if its not closed prior to shutdown.

I'll leave the setting turned off and see what happens in the future.

Thanks

Sam Vimes, Feb 2, 2018
  10. lx07 Win User
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

I don't seem to get this problem of programs starting if they weren't shut down apart from IE which gives a message something like your last session died unexpectedly --restore session.

Not sure what problem is as I haven't experienced this myself.

Running W10 pro X-64 latest build plus updates.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 2, 2018
  12. Sam Vimes Win User
    Thanks for that information. Looks like another cludge from MS. I guess it's a well played song but the forced updates from MS are a real pain for some folks - me included. Features I don't need or want and existing functionality changes.*sarc

Sam Vimes, Feb 3, 2018
  13. Can't stop Outlook 2007 from auto starting at boot time

I used Autoruns for this kinda problems.

RingTailCoon, Feb 3, 2018
  14. Sam Vimes Win User
    I have Autoruns and a number of other tools like this but none of which have been any use overcoming this issue.

Thanks anyway.

Sam Vimes, Feb 4, 2018
  15. I solved the problem very easy. Shut down the computer properly.
    Shut down all programs and then shut down the computer. Done.

Jack

Layback Bear, Feb 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't stop Outlook 2007 from auto starting at boot time - Similar Threads - Can't stop Outlook

2. Outlook 2007

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Outlook 2007: Suddenly all my incoming emails are going to the deleted folder and NOT my inbox https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-2007/11eb6aa5-28c8-4fcb-ba87-5fbc13f35406
  3. Transition from Outlook/Office 2007

in Browsers and Email
    Transition from Outlook/Office 2007: Hello! I use an old Dell PC with Windows 7 Professional and Outlook 2007/Office 2007. I also have a current Apple laptop and use gmail and Outlook 365 for work (two different jobs - two different email systems). I am familiar with all three. I also use Office 365. I...
  4. Outlook 2007

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Outlook 2007: Hey guys, I have a little big problem. I accidentally uninstalled office 2007 when I had the outlook 2007 and now it does not work, u know how to fix it? submitted by /u/Parzival-956 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i8qpm4/outlook_2007/
  5. Cannot start Microsoft Outlook 2007.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot start Microsoft Outlook 2007.: Found a fix online is this site legit?https://windowstechies.com/-/en/filename-gen/?file=Outlook%202007%20Scanpst%20Exe&gclid=Cj0KCQjwt_nmBRD0ARIsAJYs6o1p_6u34EciIgWzGrHft-v3_WCEwxcBf-8xpbu0gowFRvg4zV3dSgwaAiPpEALw_wcB...
  6. Windows outlook 2007

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows outlook 2007: I am getting a message not implemented when I try and send or receive emails https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-outlook-2007/f8b61cf2-664e-4188-b05b-614d01ecdae6
  7. Outlook 2007

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2007: I am confused by all the Outlook forums. I am forced to use Outlook 2007. Is there abest forum to use? 114947
  8. Outlook 2007

in Windows 10 Support
    Outlook 2007: I am confused by all the Outlook forums. I am forced to use Outlook 2007. Is there abest forum to use? 114947
  9. outlook 2007

in Browsers and Email
    outlook 2007: I have installed Win 10 from 8.1. my email in outlook 2007 is not sending, error message OX800CCC13? also cannot open address book? what has happened to all my contacts. Under Windows Mail, where are all my people contacts? Windows 10 is causing a lot of...
  10. Outlook 2007

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2007: Like a lot of other users, I've been having problems in sending emails BUT unlike most others, running SFC /scannow hasn't fixed my problem although it worked on my wife's Laptop. So I uninstalled & reinstalled a different version which contain a dll that was rejected so I...