Windows 10: cant switch boot drive from hdd to ssd

Discus and support cant switch boot drive from hdd to ssd in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; after i cloned my hard drive to my ssd and then went into the bios and changed the boot order, it still loads windows very slow and when i do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bestofthebest, Jul 3, 2019.

1. cant switch boot drive from hdd to ssd

after i cloned my hard drive to my ssd and then went into the bios and changed the boot order, it still loads windows very slow and when i do benchmarks on my computer they all tell me if i switch my boot drive to my ssd i could have faster load times.

:)

bestofthebest, Jul 3, 2019
  2. Neox99 Win User

Changing Boot Drive from HDD to SSD

Trying to understand here.

Do you have Win-10 installed on a HDD and on a SSD?

If so are you asking how to get your system to boot from the SSD opposed the HDD?

If you don't get an option of seeing a boot option at the beginning of the BIOS process {mine is to press ESC to see boot menu] check with the manufacturer. There HAS to be a key which does that.

Another possibility is: If both drives are SATA just switch the cables and reboot.

Check your Configuration file and see if 2 OSs are listed.

As you can see here, I have mine set to dual-boot. Win-10 on a HDD and Win-7 on a SSD.

cant switch boot drive from hdd to ssd 9de35259-1592-4229-ac9e-131e1cbf3fba.jpg

Neox99, Jul 3, 2019
  3. SSD Drive as Boot Drive and HDD Drive as Storage, how do I do it?

Remove the HDD. Install Windows on SSD. Then insert the HDD. Now SSD should be your boot drive with HDD as a storage drive.

If Windows doesn't boot,

1) Check Boot priority in BIOS and set your SSD on top of the list.

2) If still doesn't work, then create a 200MB Fat32 partition on the HDD(call it whatever you want) then boot into the windows 10 installer via a usb, launch command prompt with SHIFT + F10 and run the following:

bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-en /s B: /f UEFI

where B: is the drive letter for the 200MB partition (it could be any other drive letter for you).

Note: the drive letter with windows could be different, so either poke around command prompt to find out or launch DISKPART and run show volumes to find the partition.

The only downside to this solution is that if the HDD fails you lose boot capabilities. To get around this you could create a ISO of the 200mb boot drive and upload it for safe keeping and burn it to a usb flash disk in case of emergencies.

Source: ENVY 15t-j000 mSATA SSD + HDD fresh install, with mSATA as boot
    drive

Harsimran17, Jul 3, 2019
  4. HLL_544 Win User

cant switch boot drive from hdd to ssd

Saving free space on SSD (Regarding multiple obligatory partitions on main drive)

Gerry Here just copy-paste some irrelevant response.

Well, **I've figured it out**. Here my solution (I Take no responsibility from any damage that might arise from this process, and I do not guarantee it to work for u.)

We'll assume u have 2 disks; SSD and HDD.

Also NOTE: I Work in a GPT-Disk partitioning scheme, I don't know if it's applicable on dos-style MBR partitioning.

General-methodology wich we are going to work with (or TL;DR).

• Delete all partitions on all drive
    • Install Windows on the HDD Drive
    • Install Windows on the SSD Drive (yes, twice!)
    • Repartition the HDD to free up and reallocate as we wish (The only parition that HAVE to be there is the EUFI System (Fat) )
    • After freeing up HDD space, move user folder to the HDD
    • PROFIT
    And in more detail:

THIS GUIDE ASSUME THIS IS A FRESH PC - THAT U DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING U NEED ON EITHER DISKS.

* - Asterisk, not a real step, just additional information

• Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Clear ALL partitions on BOTH drives
    • Let windows install itself onto the HDD, We'll call this installation win-hdd
      • There is no need to actually boot into this OS.
    • Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Let windows install itself onto the SSD. We'll call this installation win-ssd
      • *What would happen now, Is that windows detects the recovery and eufi partitions and does not need to create such additional partitions on your ssd. It would only create a 16MB windows reserved partition.
      • *Your boot partition would be hdd/eufi; But since windows detect it's own bootloader it would allow you to duel-boot between win-hdd and win-ssd(default)
    • Optional: During windows-ssd first run wizard switch to audit mode (CTRL+SHIFT+F3)
      • *We would use audit mode to:
        • * Optional1: Repartition hdd
        • * Optional2: Change "Users" folder to the hdd.
        • * If u do not want to move Users folder, u can do 6.2 After win-ssd fully boots instead
      • Repartition hdd & move Users folder:
        • Using a 3rd party tool such as "MiniTool Partition Wizard" you can do the fallowing *as you wish*:
          • Delete win-hdd partition
          • Delete recovery-hdd partition
          • Delete windows reserved (16 mb) partition.
          • You can also later move the EUFI to the start of the hdd disk, if needed
          • Create new partition (free to use) on hdd.
          • Make sure to properly assign drive letters to all drive as u wish
          • Fallow
            this guide
            to relocate the User folder (Starting from Step 2)
    • Boot into windows-ssd; If u do not know which one (int the OS selection screen) It's safe to assume that the automatically-selected one is the win-ssd.
    • If u have not performed 6.2 Yet, this is the time to do that now.
    GLHF.

HLL_544, Jul 3, 2019
Thema:

cant switch boot drive from hdd to ssd

1. cant switch boot drive from hdd to ssd - Similar Threads - cant switch boot

2. switching OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    switching OS from HDD to SSD: I dont care about any of the data on the drives, I just want to know the fastest way to switch my windows 10 from my 1tb HDD to my 240 gb SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-os-from-hdd-to-ssd/b1ae418e-cf78-4019-9797-810bc531bfd6
  3. switching OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    switching OS from HDD to SSD: I dont care about any of the data on the drives, I just want to know the fastest way to switch my windows 10 from my 1tb HDD to my 240 gb SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-os-from-hdd-to-ssd/b1ae418e-cf78-4019-9797-810bc531bfd6
  4. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all, I am Dizah. I recently upgraded my computer with a V-GEN SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I cloned my HDD to my SSD. I changed the boot priority 1 as my SSD and disable the boot priority 2. The restart process happened, I successfully signed in to my...
  5. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all, I am Dizah. I recently upgraded my computer with a V-GEN SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I cloned my HDD to my SSD. I changed the boot priority 1 as my SSD and disable the boot priority 2. The restart process happened, I successfully signed in to my...
  6. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

7. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all,I recently upgraded my computer with a Samsung SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I transferred my HDD to my SSD including the OS. When using the BIOS to setup my SSD as startup, I encounter a problem. So firstly, If I disable my HDD and have my boot priority...
  8. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all,I recently upgraded my computer with a Samsung SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I transferred my HDD to my SSD including the OS. When using the BIOS to setup my SSD as startup, I encounter a problem. So firstly, If I disable my HDD and have my boot priority...
  9. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive: Ok so I have a HDD and I just bought a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb SSD to make it my main drive and my boot drive. First, I tried to use a cloning software to clone from my HDD to my SSD and it did not work. It just started up with that black screen with the text "reboot and select...