Windows 10: Can't switch from desktop to tablet mode

Discus and support Can't switch from desktop to tablet mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Having used W10 on the SurfacePro 2 with keyboard for several years, I suddenly find that I can only use desktop mode. When I try to switch to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Brain of Pooh, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Can't switch from desktop to tablet mode

Having used W10 on the SurfacePro 2 with keyboard for several years, I suddenly find that I can only use desktop mode. When I try to switch to the tablet mode using the left hand windows icon on the task bar, the icon "greys out" and doesn't function, and from then on the task bar doesn't work. I have run a full, "in-depth" virus check using Avast, and nothing came up. Because I can't switch to tablet, I don't know how to access settings - the search icon and the one to the left of it also don't work. I am not aware of any event which preceded this problem.

:)

Brain of Pooh, Dec 14, 2018

2. Switching back to desktop mode from tablet mode

Hi Bob,

Thank you for posting your queries in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to switch to come out of tablet mode.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

What happens when you try to go out of tablet mode? Do you see any error message?

Please try these steps and check if that helps.

• Click on notification from right bottom.
    • Select all setting.
    • Under all setting select System where you can change display setting.
    • Select Tablet mode which is the second option from the bottom.
    • You will find an option when I sign in, under which you find a dropdown.
    • Select take me to desktop and reboot your system.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Sudharshan M K, Dec 14, 2018
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    switching from tablet mode to laptop mode

Hi,

The concern you have encountered may be due to a corrupted file or a misconfigured setting. Windows 10's Tablet Mode provides a more touch-friendly experience by making all applications run at full screen and giving you a Start screen instead of a Start Menu.
    If you have a 2-in-1 device, Windows 10 asks you if you want to enter tablet mode every time you convert your notebook into a slate. Kindly follow the steps below to sort out the concern:

• Click Settings from the Start menu
    • Click System, then select Tablet Mode in the left panel. A tablet mode submenu appear
    • Toggle "Make Windows more touch-friendly . . ." to on to enable Tablet mode. Or off to go to desktop mode
    • Configure the "When this device automatically switches" menu to let Windows 10 to switch modes on your 2-in-1 prompt or not prompt you.

Should you have further concerns, feel free to post.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Dec 14, 2018
  4. DeanEisen Win User

Can't switch from desktop to tablet mode

Desktop mode to tablet mode

When I enter desktop mode from tablet mode I can't switch back to tablet mode without going into settings. When I click the Windows Icon or button it shows the tablet mode display but returns into desktop when I click using the touchpad,

DeanEisen, Dec 14, 2018
Thema:

Can't switch from desktop to tablet mode

1. Can't switch from desktop to tablet mode - Similar Threads - Can't switch desktop

2. Explicit tablet mode switch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explicit tablet mode switch: Can we get an explicit tablet mod switch for Windows 11?Here's the use case:Windows 11 auto-selects tablet mode if under certain circumstancesFor example, if you have a 2-in-1 PC like a Surface, Lenovo Yoga, HP x360, etc and you "tent" it by folding the keyboard backIt's also...
  3. Explicit tablet mode switch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explicit tablet mode switch: Can we get an explicit tablet mod switch for Windows 11?Here's the use case:Windows 11 auto-selects tablet mode if under certain circumstancesFor example, if you have a 2-in-1 PC like a Surface, Lenovo Yoga, HP x360, etc and you "tent" it by folding the keyboard backIt's also...
  4. Start button switches to tablet mode and desktop mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button switches to tablet mode and desktop mode: I have an HP laptop. Windows is up to date. I have recently switched to running in desktop mode but when i left click the start button instead of getting the start menu it switches to tablet mode. How do i fix this? Ive searched everywhere. if i right click it brings up...
  5. After switching to tablet mode I can't see my desktop

After switching to tablet mode I can't see my desktop: I switched to tablet mode one day while reading a PDF. My computer seemed to want to stay in tablet mode after I flipped it back into laptop position so I just dealt with it that way for a while. Now I tried turning off tablet mode but the display still doesn't look...
  6. Getting back to desktop mode from tablet mode.

Getting back to desktop mode from tablet mode.: I have a Lenova 2 in 1 ideapad with Windows 10. When I switched from tablet back to laptop my desktop will not change back to desktop mode with a start up menu and items showing that i had saved to desktop. I figured out how to get taskbar items back....
  7. switched to tablet mode and my desktop is gone

switched to tablet mode and my desktop is gone: what happened to my desktop. I cant see or find anything I had saved to it. I need those items. I switched to tablet mode and my desktop is gone. it flahes underneath the windows 10 but goes away and I cant get to it....
  8. Tablet mode interface switching?

Tablet mode interface switching?: Hi everyone As I have been using my tablet I started wondering if there's a way, while in tablet mode, to have windows symbol, back arrow, and Cortana symbol in the bottom right hand corner. In other words switch the placements of those items with the time, battery,...
  9. Switching back from Tablet mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching back from Tablet mode: Hi there. If you are experimenting with Tablet and desktop mode the mechanics are a bit convoluted. First I'd apply Brink's tutorial which allows you to toggle to and from start menu or start screen mode without re-booting. He's fixed it for build 9926 too. Now to get...
  10. Auto switch tablet/desktop mode stopped working...

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto switch tablet/desktop mode stopped working...: Does anyone know how to turn on the automatic desktop/tablet mode switching? I run W10, the official release, on a Surface Pro 3 with a keyboard cover. Up to now, when I detach the keyboard I get asked if I want to switch to tablet mode, and when I attach the keyboard...