Windows 10: Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account

Discus and support Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Not sure if the problem is with my Windows or with Microsoft. I changed my account to a local one (for some reason I can't remember) before I... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by n7athenian, May 5, 2019.

1. Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account

Not sure if the problem is with my Windows or with Microsoft.

I changed my account to a local one (for some reason I can't remember) before I upgraded to Windows 10. I tried changing it back to a Microsoft account, I am able to type in my account, password, my computer password, but then it goes to this...

Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account 8aa059ea-39b8-4f4c-a175-879337fff101?upload=true.png

I have been trying to fix this for two whole days, I think it's connected to my Microsoft Store. My MS Store loads but when I try to sign in it tells me that I'm not connected to the internet even though I am and I can use everything that requires the internet properly. Cortana also tells me that she can't reach the internet or something.

I can see that a lot of us have this problem in Win10 but no one seems to be able to fix it. I don't want to have to refresh my pc. I'm hoping I wouldn't have to. I'm usually able to solve most problems with my laptop. This is the first time I couldn't find anything. This is my last resort. Please help.

:)

n7athenian, May 5, 2019
  2. DarWun Win User

Switch Back to Existing Local Account from Microsoft Account

I already identified that I had tried this, and that it did not allow me to switch back to the original Local Account. The Microsoft Account hijacked the User Name of the original Local Account. When I click "Sign in With a Local Account instead" and enter
    the original User Name, Windows 10 won't proceed. The only way to get back to a Local Account is enter a new User Name.

DarWun, May 5, 2019
  3. Switch Back to Existing Local Account from Microsoft Account

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest that you follow the steps below and check if you can log into your computer using the Local Account.

• On the Search Bar type “User Account”.
      • On the right menu pane locate and click “Make changes to my account in this PC”.
      • Then locate and click on “Sign in With a Local Account instead”.
      • And follow on screen instructions.
    Hope this information is helpful.

Vanessa Sohtun, May 5, 2019
  4. Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account

Unable to switch account from local to Microsoft account

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Please convert to Local account and back to Microsoft Account. To switch to a local account, please follow the below steps.

To switch to a local account.

Press “Windows + I” keys to open settings.

Select Change PC settings.

Select Users.

On the right side, it will show your current account with an option "Switch to a local account”.

Select “switch to a local account” and follow the steps to switch your Microsoft account into a local account. Once this is done your Microsoft account is safe and not linked with that computer anymore.

To convert a local account to Microsoft Account you may try these steps:

From the “Change PC settings” screen, tap or click Users.

Tap or click Switch to a Microsoft account and follow the instructions.

Also, check for pending updates and install them.

Please let us know if the issue persists or you need any further assistance.

Amarjeet_Paul, May 5, 2019
Thema:

Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account

1. Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Can't Switch Local

2. Cannot switch my windows account from a microsoft account to a local user.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot switch my windows account from a microsoft account to a local user.: Hello, I have setup a work station at my work and right now it is under my personal microsoft account I want to switch it over to a local administrator account. However I cannot sign in as a local user no matter what I try there is no option to sign in as a local user I can...
  3. Can't switch Microsoft account to local account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't switch Microsoft account to local account: Hi! I'm having trouble with changing my account from Microsoft account to local account. When I change it, Windows says: "We are sorry, but something went wrong. Your Microsoft account wasn't changed to local account. Code: 0x80070057" Can anyone help me plz? I'm tired...
  4. Cant switch from work account to local account

Cant switch from work account to local account: My settings on my computer are broken. I need to switch form work account to local account. However, I can't switch because settings are broken. Settings will open like normal. However, nothing but the search bar and "Settings" shows when I open it up. The search is flawed....
  5. Switching or converting from a local admin account to a Microsoft business account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching or converting from a local admin account to a Microsoft business account: Hello, I just started working at this company. They are currently in the process of upgrading all their computers from Windows 10 Home to Pro. The computers that are already upgraded are mostly using a Local Account which is also an administrator. These need to be...
  6. Signed in with a local account, unable to switch to Microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Signed in with a local account, unable to switch to Microsoft account: I switched my account to a local account and that seemed to mess up my Outlook app. I clicked Fix account, nothing happens. I try to sign in with Microsoft account in settings, a screen comes up and disappears immediately....
  7. Switching to a local account

Switching to a local account: When I switch to a different account it says, "Switch to a local account". Can the account I’m switching to be accessed by anyone in my area?...
  8. Cannot switch to local account

Cannot switch to local account: Hello, I am trying to unlink my other microsoft account from my computer but I cannot find "Switch to a local account". I am very confused because in some forums people say there is a button saying "Switch to a local account" but I cannot find it, is this a glitch or can an...
  9. Cant Switch to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cant Switch to local account: Hello so when i first got windows 10 i had a local account and used it as normal then for some reason i added my microsoft account and now everytime i log in i need to use the microsoft account, just now i tried to switch it to the local account and i got this error any...
  10. Switched to Microsoft Account to Local Account - Programs Gone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switched to Microsoft Account to Local Account - Programs Gone: Hi, First time posting here but I hope you can help. I switched my microsoft account to a local account and now my laptop cannot start applications I have installed, such as Chrome and WoW. I tried switching back to a microsoft account and this did not resolve the...