Windows 10: Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account

Discus and support Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Not sure if the problem is with my Windows or with Microsoft. I changed my account to a local one (for some reason I can't remember) before I... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by n7athenian, May 5, 2019.

1. Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account

Not sure if the problem is with my Windows or with Microsoft.

I changed my account to a local one (for some reason I can't remember) before I upgraded to Windows 10. I tried changing it back to a Microsoft account, I am able to type in my account, password, my computer password, but then it goes to this...

Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account 8aa059ea-39b8-4f4c-a175-879337fff101?upload=true.png

I have been trying to fix this for two whole days, I think it's connected to my Microsoft Store. My MS Store loads but when I try to sign in it tells me that I'm not connected to the internet even though I am and I can use everything that requires the internet properly. Cortana also tells me that she can't reach the internet or something.

I can see that a lot of us have this problem in Win10 but no one seems to be able to fix it. I don't want to have to refresh my pc. I'm hoping I wouldn't have to. I'm usually able to solve most problems with my laptop. This is the first time I couldn't find anything. This is my last resort. Please help.

:)

n7athenian, May 5, 2019
  2. DarWun Win User

Switch Back to Existing Local Account from Microsoft Account

I already identified that I had tried this, and that it did not allow me to switch back to the original Local Account. The Microsoft Account hijacked the User Name of the original Local Account. When I click "Sign in With a Local Account instead" and enter
    the original User Name, Windows 10 won't proceed. The only way to get back to a Local Account is enter a new User Name.

DarWun, May 5, 2019
  3. Switch Back to Existing Local Account from Microsoft Account

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest that you follow the steps below and check if you can log into your computer using the Local Account.

• On the Search Bar type “User Account”.
      • On the right menu pane locate and click “Make changes to my account in this PC”.
      • Then locate and click on “Sign in With a Local Account instead”.
      • And follow on screen instructions.
    Hope this information is helpful.

Vanessa Sohtun, May 5, 2019
  4. Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account

Unable to switch account from local to Microsoft account

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Please convert to Local account and back to Microsoft Account. To switch to a local account, please follow the below steps.

To switch to a local account.

Press “Windows + I” keys to open settings.

Select Change PC settings.

Select Users.

On the right side, it will show your current account with an option "Switch to a local account”.

Select “switch to a local account” and follow the steps to switch your Microsoft account into a local account. Once this is done your Microsoft account is safe and not linked with that computer anymore.

To convert a local account to Microsoft Account you may try these steps:

From the “Change PC settings” screen, tap or click Users.

Tap or click Switch to a Microsoft account and follow the instructions.

Also, check for pending updates and install them.

Please let us know if the issue persists or you need any further assistance.

Amarjeet_Paul, May 5, 2019
Thema:

Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account

1. Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Can't Switch Local

2. Switching from Local Account to Microsoft Account Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching from Local Account to Microsoft Account Windows 10: Recently I had signed out of my Microsoft account on my computer and switched it to a Local Account, I am currently trying to sign in however, when it prompts me to "sign into this computer using your Microsoft account" it tells me "the password you entered for your device is...
  3. Switching from Local Account to Microsoft Account Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching from Local Account to Microsoft Account Windows 10: Recently I had signed out of my Microsoft account on my computer and switched it to a Local Account, I am currently trying to sign in however, when it prompts me to "sign into this computer using your Microsoft account" it tells me "the password you entered for your device is...
  4. Switching from Local Account to Microsoft Account Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Can't switch to local account

Can't switch to local account: I've signed in with a microsoft account and am trying to change my user account password. I don't want to change my microsoft account password so I'm trying to change to local account but the option is missing...
  6. Unable to Switch from Local to Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to Switch from Local to Microsoft Account: I have a laptop that was setup with a local account. Now I am trying to switch to a Microsoft Account. However, when I click on the Sign-in with a Microsoft Account Instead button, the Microsoft Account screen pops up and closes without any opportunity to log-in. Same thing...
  7. Can't switch back from Microsoft account to Local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't switch back from Microsoft account to Local account: I had on my W10 a local account as administrator. I've logged it with my Outlook account, in order to purchase some item from Microsoft store. Now I want to revert back to Local account, but doesn't work. Of course I'm using my now my Outlook password instead of the local...
  8. Can't switch from local to MS account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't switch from local to MS account: I am trying to switch from my local account back to my Microsoft account. Yes, back to it; it worked fine before I used the local account to troubleshoot some setting issues. I filled in my password and it said it's wrong. I verified by logging in to my MS account online...
  9. How to switch from PC local account to Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to switch from PC local account to Microsoft account?: So I wanted to switch from my local account to my Microsoft account, but my microsoft account was already associated with my local account so I couldn't just use the "sign in with microsoft instead" option. Fine. So I created a new local account and made it admin, then...
  10. Can't switch Microsoft account to local account

Can't switch Microsoft account to local account: Hi! I'm having trouble with changing my account from Microsoft account to local account. When I change it, Windows says: "We are sorry, but something went wrong. Your Microsoft account wasn't changed to local account. Code: 0x80070057" Can anyone help me plz? I'm tired...