Windows 10: Can't switch to a Microsoft account

Discus and support Can't switch to a Microsoft account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I can't switch to a Microsoft account on my Windows 10 laptop. I'm trying to sign in with a Microsoft account instead from a local account. It says it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Anon621, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Anon621 Win User

Can't switch to a Microsoft account

I can't switch to a Microsoft account on my Windows 10 laptop. I'm trying to sign in with a Microsoft account instead from a local account. It says it need to install an app for the task. It offers to search in the Microsoft Store, but it displays "Try that again. Page could not be loaded. Please try again later. Code: 0x80131500".

:)

Anon621, Jun 21, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Change Microsoft Account Details in Administrator Account

Hi Daryl, welcome to the Ten Forums.

It's quite easy in fact, simply switch the account in question first to a local account, then switch back to a Microsoft account, this time using your wife's MS account credentials.

Tutorials:
    Notice that before doing this you need to remove the new additional MS account on the PC, the one you created with her credentials. Windows allows only one user account for each email address, if the new account exists you cannot switch the original administrator account to an MS account using the same email address. Tutorial: User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

3. JanBouman Win User
    Switch to local account and back to Microsoft account is impossible

Thank you Smittychat.

I did ecactly what you suggested. Each one of the steps ended with messages saying that nothing is wrong, nothing is corrupted and no problems found. I tried to switch to my Microsoft account after each step (without result). I even restarted the system
    after performing all three steps.

The issue persists. When I try to switch to my Microsoft Account by using the Windows Settings --> Accounts buttons and selecting "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead", I still get the message "Something went wrong. Try again or select Cancel to set
    up your device later."

JanBouman, Jun 21, 2020
  4. DarWun Win User

Switch Back to Existing Local Account from Microsoft Account

I already identified that I had tried this, and that it did not allow me to switch back to the original Local Account. The Microsoft Account hijacked the User Name of the original Local Account. When I click "Sign in With a Local Account instead" and enter
    the original User Name, Windows 10 won't proceed. The only way to get back to a Local Account is enter a new User Name.

DarWun, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't switch to a Microsoft account - Similar Threads - Can't switch Microsoft

2. switching microsoft accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    switching microsoft accounts: I want to give my old laptop to my brother. I just want to ask if it's ok to do clean install windows 10 and add his microsoft account instead? Or is there easier way?...
  3. Can't switch Microsoft accounts within apps

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't switch Microsoft accounts within apps: When I first used my Microsoft apps such as the xbox app that you can download from the Microsoft store, it worked perfectly and allowed me to switch accounts between my one with game pass and the one without. Now I have tried to link my phone to my pc and the your phone app...
  4. Can't switch Microsoft accounts within apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't switch Microsoft accounts within apps: When I first used my Microsoft apps such as the xbox app that you can download from the Microsoft store, it worked perfectly and allowed me to switch accounts between my one with game pass and the one without. Now I have tried to link my phone to my pc and the your phone app...
  5. Can't switch Microsoft accounts within apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Can't switch back from Microsoft account to Local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't switch back from Microsoft account to Local account: I had on my W10 a local account as administrator. I've logged it with my Outlook account, in order to purchase some item from Microsoft store. Now I want to revert back to Local account, but doesn't work. Of course I'm using my now my Outlook password instead of the local...
  7. Switching Microsoft Accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Switching Microsoft Accounts: My daughter got her new HP Stream today and I remembered not to attach it to the WiFi network prior to setting up her local account. All that went well... But then I went to switch it out of "S Mode", which meant signing into the Microsoft store. The only account I knew was...
  8. Can't switch Microsoft account to local account

Can't switch Microsoft account to local account: Hi! I'm having trouble with changing my account from Microsoft account to local account. When I change it, Windows says: "We are sorry, but something went wrong. Your Microsoft account wasn't changed to local account. Code: 0x80070057" Can anyone help me plz? I'm tired...
  9. Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account

Can't Switch from Local to Microsoft Account: Not sure if the problem is with my Windows or with Microsoft. I changed my account to a local one (for some reason I can't remember) before I upgraded to Windows 10. I tried changing it back to a Microsoft account, I am able to type in my account, password, my computer...
  10. Can't switch accounts

Can't switch accounts: A friend has set up her new laptop running windows 10 by using a gmail account as the user. I've created an outlook.com account for her as we want to use that instead of the gmail account. I've added the account to Windows 10 so the laptop has two accounts on there....