Windows 10: Can't sync background picture

Discus and support Can't sync background picture in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a feeling that this is going to turn out to be a silly question with an obvious answer that I'm missing, but here goes. I have a tablet, a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by curt jugg, Nov 1, 2015.

1. curt jugg Win User

Can't sync background picture

I have a feeling that this is going to turn out to be a silly question with an obvious answer that I'm missing, but here goes.

I have a tablet, a laptop and a desktop computer all running Windows 10. I log on to each with my Microsoft account. Each has all of its settings set to sync yet I have a different background picture on each device. Shouldn't I have the same background on each one in these circumstances? And if so, what determines which background takes precedence?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit

Since writing this I have found my laptop has suddenly changed the background to match with the desktop computer, so now it is only the tablet that is out of sync. Very confusing.

Oh, now the tablet has synced as well. I assume, then, that there must be some sort of delay before syncing takes place. But I still wonder what determines which background takes precedence.

:)

curt jugg, Nov 1, 2015

2. How do I stop Windows 10 from changing my theme picture every day

Which theme picture and background picture are you referring to?

You can set your desktop background picture in Settings under Personalization :: Background.

Do you use multiple systems? If you're using multiple systems, you might want to turn off the Sync your settings :: Theme option, as that would sync your backgrounds across systems.

zachd [MSFT], Nov 1, 2015
  3. Why does my background pic keep changing since Windows 10 update?

Since I updated to Windows 10 I will set my background theme, but it will change back to the synced one even after I delete it. On top of that, the picture that is on the synced theme is a random picture of someone I don't even know, and the picture is not
    in any folder or file on my computer. How can I get rid of it and keep my background on the picture that I select???

JAREDPARRA, Nov 1, 2015
  4. craisin Win User

I have just experienced this myself, and I suspect there was a change to the OS which suddenly shows the background slides "out of synch" on each device. They used to show the same image, but try as I may I cannot get them back in synch.

Your "getting back in sych" is probably because you have few images, and the timing in the slideshow has (coincidentally) showed them back in synch again. It will be interesting to see if they stay in synch. That would probably be the case if you turn off the machine when all desktops ARE the same. When startup happens again, then the timed "change of desktop" would all happen together and so all would be back in synch. (I think that is the secret to getting them back in synch).

My problems started after I disconnected one screen then reconnected it and found a problem in one of my programs not detecting the attached screen. So I performed a "registry clean" (which is always dicey with Windows 10) but that seemed to fix it.

It was then I noticed that the backgrounds were "out of synch". I tried changing the default folder for desktop images ("C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows") which just shows the normal "logon" image, then changed back to the folder where my slideshow of images are held (Windows 10), all to no avail.

So I created a NEW folder under "C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper" called "C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\New Windows 10" and copied my files from my existing folder to the new folder.

I then went into "settings" and "Personalize" and selected a new album for my slideshow (changed it to the new folder via the "Broiwse" button").

I then shut down (completely) then start again to see if it worked. It did not *cry

So tI thought perhaps that there is something in the inner workings of Windows 10 that has changed in a recent update
    (I hate that!)

I did find in my investigations, though, that if you change (under Personalization) the "Choose a fit option to "Span", the same picture will appear on both desktops, with the image "Extended", so the left part of the image is on one screen and the right part of the image is on the other.

All other settings produce a picture from the set album for wallpapers, but not the same image on both screens.
    It is as though Microsoft WANT the images to be different.

I finally tried this method

1. Change you settings via "Settings/System/Multiple Displays" to "Duplicate these displays"
    2. Change your album (if desired) via "Settings/Personalization" to:
    a. Background = Slideshow
    b. Album = (whatever you choose - best to have it as a folder under C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\)
    c. "Change Picture every (whatever you wish but while testing make it 1 minute)
    d. Make the fit "Fill"
    3. Shut down the computer completely then restart.
    4. Go back into "Settings/System/Multiple Display" and change to "Extend these displays"

Unfortunately that did not work either.

I will contact Microsoft to see if they have a solution (probably a setting in the registry).
    I will get back to you n due course.

Cheers
    Chris

craisin, Nov 7, 2015
  5. craisin Win User
    Microsoft did not solve anything (just asked me to check my video drivers).

But I found the answer myself!

Just change your "choose a fit" to "TILe" and the same picture shows on both screens at the same time!
    Sorry Microsoft...not your fault....I must have just lost my settings when I "fixed" the registry.

Matters resolved!

Now that I actually re-read your question, your problem is different to mine since I have connected screens but yours are really synched via the Internet, so will be quite different to my problem.....sorry about that!

craisin, Nov 7, 2015
  6. curt jugg Win User
    Thanks for your replies, craisin. As you say, your problem is a bit different from mine, but glad you've solved it. And mine seems to have solved itself now anyway.

curt jugg, Nov 7, 2015
  7. craisin Win User
    Thanks for getting back to me....I think your problem was just slow synchronization (which I have struck with cloud as well.......This matter can now.....RIP Can't sync background picture :)

craisin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't sync background picture - Similar Threads - Can't sync background

2. Background picture

in Windows 10 Customization
    Background picture: I'm trying to set a picture as a background screen, and nothing works. The display resolution and the picture size are the same 1920/1080. When I choose the fill option it shows only the top side of the picture with a zoom, if I choose to center it shows the whole picture but...
  3. Background pictures

Background pictures: My background picture was gone this morning, I went to personalize under slideshow browse selected the folder with my pictures and it show nothing. went to the file folder and looked into pictures and my pictures are there. I tried different folders same thing folder is there...
  4. background pictures

background pictures: I am trying to set my background picture, and ever ytime I choose one and set it its really blurry, I've tried picking a picture that is the same screen resolution size as it says in settings and that didn't help I just want to know how to fix this issue?...
  5. background pictures

background pictures: I want to have two pictures tiled side by side as my background. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/background-pictures/c47c0dfa-a3e3-48c2-b685-e671feeb6f24
  6. Can't use a picture as my background

Can't use a picture as my background: I am trying to set an image as my background and my settings are not allowing me to do so. I started by just selecting the 'set as background' option while in an image, but when that didn't work, I went into my personalization options. When I set my settings from 'solid...
  7. Can't upload picture to background

Can't upload picture to background: Hey, so today I found my screen had a green background, I tried to change it to my normal picture background but it didn't actually upload, I tried many methods to fix it but none of them worked, I decided I might as well get help from Microsoft and the community. If it's any...
  8. Backgrounds not syncing

Backgrounds not syncing: Hi Everyone, Just got a new HP Envy 360. Setting up Windows, and everything synced up well. Unfortunately while doing some setup bits, the background all of a sudden went back to a standard Windows picture as the background. Checked my syncing settings, and they're all...
  9. Background pictures

Background pictures: Hi On Win 10, I've chosen my own background pictures (slideshow), but it keep on reverting back to the default setting of windows own selected pictures (picture). Where is this picture folder located in order to delete these pictures - not my cup of tea at all! or how...
  10. Background Picture

Background Picture: Hi there. When I go into Settings and set the Background picture/slideshow, I always see letters on the sample screen, like 'Aa' and 'Sample Text'. What can you do with that? I don't find any explanations anywhere. Thank you. 8133

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant sync background picture