Windows 10: Can't synchronise with time server

Discus and support Can't synchronise with time server in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I can't synchronise Windows (version 2004) with any time server. I noticed this particularly last night after I had done a repair and therefore had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ricecrispies, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Can't synchronise with time server

I can't synchronise Windows (version 2004) with any time server.

I noticed this particularly last night after I had done a repair and therefore had taken out the battery for a while, but I think it may have been going on for much longer than that because I vaguely remember thinking I had sorted out a similar problem months ago, although I now doubt whether the problem had really been resolved.

One particularly confusing thing is that when I try to sync through the control panel, it tells me that my last successful sync was whatever my last unsuccessful sync was, making me think that the problem has been resolved when it hasn't. In fact a posted here about this problem early this morning, but I marked the post as solved because of this misleading message. Date & Time settings give me an earlier, also fictitious time for my last successful sync.

I have tried restarting the Windows Time server. I have tried rebooting. I have tried using three different time servers (time.windows.com, pool.ntp.org and time.nist.govt), but Windows won't sync with any of them. How can I fix this?

:)

ricecrispies, Oct 10, 2020
  2. SteveCase Win User

Problem with synching to time server

When looking through the list of events in Windows Event Viewer, I have, for a long while now, been getting, every day, several warnings that look like this:-

Event 134, Time service
    NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on 'time-new.nist.gov'. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. (0x80072AF9).

The most recent of these was today at 15:28. When I look at the internet time settings (via control panel), it says the clock was successfully synchronised with time.nst.gov on 22/10/2018 (today) at 16:19 (a few minutes ago). The list of time servers is as follows:-

time.windows.com
    time.nist.gov
    time.nw.nist.gov
    time-a.nist.gov
    time-b.nist.gov

My questions is this: Why is the NTP client apparently trying to synchronise using a server that isn’t in the list? Where is it getting the server name 'time-new.nist.gov' from? It’s not in the list - only ‘time.nw.nist.gov’.
    If I set the time server to time.windows.com should it cure the problem?

SteveCase, Oct 10, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Mail Client Error 0x8500201f synchronising with Exchange 2003 server

Hello Andy,

What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?

If your device is not connected to a domain network/ Windows Server, try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Refer: Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Method 2: I suggest you to check with the system Date, time and Time zone
    is set correct.

Follow the steps to set the date and time:

• Type “Date and Time” in the search bar.
    • Click Change date and time button.
    • Click Apply and Ok to save the date and time.
    Note: Click on the Time Zone tab to check the Time Zone.

Method 3: I suggest you to Disable Proxy Settings

Windows Store apps won't work properly if you are using a proxy server. You may disable the proxy server and check.

Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows Key + R to open run command, type
      inetcpl.cpl
    • Under Internet Options, go to
      Connections
      tab.
    • c. Click on the LAN Settings button.
    • Then uncheck the option Use a proxy server for your LAN.
    • Click Apply.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 10, 2020
  4. Can't synchronise with time server

Windows Time not synchronising properly

The time shown on my Windows 10 Desktop PC is incorrect. On "Date and Time / Internet Time / Change Settings" if I click "update now" It usually says "The clock was successfully synchronised with . . . (server name)" but the resulting time on my PC is behind
    - usually by 1 second (though it can be longer). It doesn't matter which NTP server I use, the resulting time offset is the same. Sometimes the time offset after synchronisation can be several seconds (again it doesn't seem to depend on the server). My windows
    10 laptop (a rather slower computer) shares the same internet connection and doesn't suffer from this problem. I have tried the following:-

1. Checked that the time on the BIOS clock is not drifting (I left the PC in the BIOS setting screen for a couple of hours)

2. Ran sfc /scannow (no problems found)

3. Re-registered Win32Time.DLL

4. Checked for viruses using Bullguard

Any suggestions?

SteveCase19, Oct 10, 2020
Thema:

Can't synchronise with time server

1. Can't synchronise with time server - Similar Threads - Can't synchronise server

2. Email synchronisation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Email synchronisation: Emails deleted from by BT Internet account aren't deleting from my iphone and ipad. Can you help? Simple instructions please! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/email-synchronisation/278625c1-4770-4365-8d8a-acd0087b5cc7
  3. Email synchronisation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Email synchronisation: Emails deleted from by BT Internet account aren't deleting from my iphone and ipad. Can you help? Simple instructions please! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/email-synchronisation/278625c1-4770-4365-8d8a-acd0087b5cc7
  4. Synchronisation partielle

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Synchronisation partielle: BonjourJ'ai 2 PC en réseau.Sur l'un les synchronisations fonctionnent bien dans les 2 sens : Ordinateur vers OneDrive et OneDrive vers Ordinateur .Sur l'autre les synchronisations fonctionnent dans le sens oneDrive vers Ordinateur mais pas dans le sens ordinateur/OneDrive....
  5. Synchronisation partielle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Synchronisation partielle: BonjourJ'ai 2 PC en réseau.Sur l'un les synchronisations fonctionnent bien dans les 2 sens : Ordinateur vers OneDrive et OneDrive vers Ordinateur .Sur l'autre les synchronisations fonctionnent dans le sens oneDrive vers Ordinateur mais pas dans le sens ordinateur/OneDrive....
  6. Synchronisation partielle

7. Can't synchronise Xbox Conroler with the Wireless Receiver

Can't synchronise Xbox Conroler with the Wireless Receiver: Hi. I'm pluging the Wireless Receiver into usb slot on my laptop. Then I'm pressing the synchronise buttons on the receiver and the controller. The lights are blinking but nothing happens. And the Xbox Controller does not work in games.Please help.Windows 10Asus Rog Zephyrus...
  8. Can't synchronise Xbox Conroler with the Wireless Receiver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't synchronise Xbox Conroler with the Wireless Receiver: Hi. I'm pluging the Wireless Receiver into usb slot on my laptop. Then I'm pressing the synchronise buttons on the receiver and the controller. The lights are blinking but nothing happens. And the Xbox Controller does not work in games.Please help.Windows 10Asus Rog Zephyrus...
  9. Synchronising speech

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Synchronising speech: Using SAPI 5 I want to start each speech text at a specific time into the audio file e.g. 4 sec XXXXXXXXXXX 6.5 sec YYYYYY Is there a tag within <voice required .. to position? Or is there a way of forcing the length of each speech (fill with silence)? Or an easy way to...
  10. Windows Time not synchronising properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Time not synchronising properly: The time shown on my Windows 10 Desktop PC is incorrect. On "Date and Time / Internet Time / Change Settings" if I click "update now" It usually says "The clock was successfully synchronised with . . . (server name)" but the resulting time on my PC is behind - usually by 1...