Windows 10: cant take ownership AND remove read only

Discus and support cant take ownership AND remove read only in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; ok so i upgraded from win 7 to win 10 pro and now i am unable to take ownership of my extra drives as well as change the folders from read only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheTripleDeuce, Aug 29, 2015.

1. cant take ownership AND remove read only

ok so i upgraded from win 7 to win 10 pro and now i am unable to take ownership of my extra drives as well as change the folders from read only

please help

:)

TheTripleDeuce, Aug 29, 2015
  2. Rohn007 Win User

Windows 10 - Documents folder is marked with read-only and I can't remove it

Try taking "ownership" of the folder:

ADD TAKE OWNER TO WIN10 CONTEXT MENU

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-take-ow...

HOW TO TAKE OWNERSHIP AND GET FULL ACCESS TO FILES AND FOLDERS IN WINDOWS 10

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ownership-a...

TAKE OWNERSHIP OF FILES / FOLDERS - VISTA

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/ad...

HOW TO TAKE OWNERSHIP (PERMISSION) OF A FILE OR FOLDER MANUALLY IN WINDOWS?

http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-take-ownershi...

https://appuals.com/fix-word-cannot-open-the-do...

Rohn007, Aug 29, 2015
  3. NeilHoh Win User
    Can't take ownership of external hard disk

I sorted this issue out after a few hours of following instructions here an elsewhere.

Follow instructions to take ownership:

Folder properties

Security tab

Advanced

Ensured ownership was correct - "Change" Ownership to MS ID name [my name (registered MS account registered email address)

I opened "permissions" properties for a folder that I did have access to and tried to ensure all properties were the same for the problem folder.

[Properties/security tab/advanced/Permissions]

For the problem folder there were a number of "Account Unknown" permissions. I tried to remove these but there was some "inheritance" issue. So I highlighted the "Account Unknown" permission entry in question [not sure if this mattered, I don't think so]
    and clicked on "Disable inheritance". All permissions entries disappeared except mine, ie, the one that is same as "Owner", and "WMPNetworkSvc".

WMPNetworkSvc permission had full access, but in the folder I was comparing permissions to, it only had read access. So I changed the permissions for it in the problem folder to "read". Hit ok etc and bingo could read files in the folder.

There were some other permissions entries too that disappeared when I Disabled inheritance:

- Adminstrators

- System

- Account unknown but same as in folder I was comparing to.

These all had full access.

So, Ownership is not necessarily the issue, or not the only issue.

I think the ownership was correct at the outset.

Changes that I made were:

- WMPNetworkSvc having full access being changed to only read permission,

the other permissions removed when I disabled inheritance

- disabling of inheritance on my permission or the WMPNetworkSvc permission or both.

Now I only have to permissions:

- me ["my name (MS account registered email address"] full access I am also administrator in user account type [Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Change Your Account Type]

- WMPNetworkSvc read access.

NeilHoh, Aug 29, 2015
  4. cant take ownership AND remove read only

Tried the "take ownership in context menu" that didn't work I still can't make all my folders non read only

5. Folders are not read only. Read what the properties dialog says.

"Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)" It does not matter what you do, the folder's properties will always show a filled in box next to read-only. It has been this way forever. If you look closely, it is NOT a check mark.

logicearth, Aug 29, 2015
  6. Up until the win 10 upgrade this drive and folder never had that box even the least bit filled in

It's not my primary hdd

7. Than you were not paying attention.

Your issue is the NTFS permissions, they are setup for the previous installation. You need to reset them for the new installation. Nothing to do with the read-only attribute.

logicearth, Aug 29, 2015
  8. cant take ownership AND remove read only

i was paying attention before the upgrade the folder never had anything in the "read only" check box

9. From Windows 7: (No matter what, the read-only checkbox will always display as such. Same applies to Windows 8 and 10.)

cant take ownership AND remove read only [​IMG]

Read-only does not apply to folders. Period end of discussion. Your issue is the NTFS permissions as I said previously (Security tab).

logicearth, Aug 29, 2015
  10. Lol wow you get mad fast if only you'd listen to what I'm saying instead of getting all pissy
    My H: drive never had read only slightly filled in until win 10

And your not even telling me how to fix the issue even if it is ntfs issue, guess you just want your high post count

TheTripleDeuce, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

cant take ownership AND remove read only

1. cant take ownership AND remove read only - Similar Threads - cant ownership remove

2. Taking over the ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking over the ownership: Hi there,I'm having an issue with files stores within C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Here's the problem:I would like to play Forza Horizon 5 using my steering wheel - Logitech G27.To make it work in the desired way, I would like to add this game to the Logitech Profiler - this...
  3. Taking over the ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Taking over the ownership: Hi there,I'm having an issue with files stores within C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Here's the problem:I would like to play Forza Horizon 5 using my steering wheel - Logitech G27.To make it work in the desired way, I would like to add this game to the Logitech Profiler - this...
  4. Cant take ownership of system 32

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant take ownership of system 32: Hello dear people,i recently got an error that many of you know 0xc000007b,to fix it i need to paste some new dll files in system 32 to repair the appEpic Games Launcher that i need to open i need to have ownership on system 32 folder,i am the administrator of this pc,and i...
  5. Can't take read only of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't take read only of files: Hi i cant take read only off files. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-take-read-only-of-files/40ab6786-f6fb-4f4e-8f48-5a24a1d25ba1
  6. remove READ ONLY

in Windows 10 Customization
    remove READ ONLY: PLEASE How do I get read only off of my pictures on OneDrive. If I can't see them, I don't need OneDrive. I have changed attribute multiple times and Microsoft keeps changing MY PICTURES back to READ ONLY attribute. This is more than annoying. Microsoft controls my files,...
  7. Take ownership

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  8. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  9. Cant take ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cant take ownership: So my problem started when i was on my steam and i was downloading a game onto my (D:) drive, it gave me a error message saying folder not writable. I narrowed the problem down to making steam folder in my (D:) drive not read only, but every time i try to, i get an error...
  10. Removing read only classification

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing read only classification: Hi everyone, and happy Autumn. I'm currently editing text using Notepad++, and I've installed the plugin Aspell as a spell checker. It contains a main dictionary, and also contains a second file for adding additional words to the mix which makes it act like a smaller,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wmpnetworksvc permissions is read only