Windows 10: Can't take ownership of a folder even though effective access says I have permissions to do it

Discus and support Can't take ownership of a folder even though effective access says I have permissions to do it in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm trying to access C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans but it denies me access telling me that I need to use the security tab to gain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by DY4Y, Nov 19, 2023.

1. DY4Y Win User

Can't take ownership of a folder even though effective access says I have permissions to do it

I'm trying to access C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans but it denies me access telling me that I need to use the security tab to gain access. But when I try to change permissions in the security tab the "Change" button is greyed out. In the Effective Access tab it says my account should have full permissions including the permission to take ownership. Takeown also doesn't work telling me "ERROR: Access is denied"

:)

2. Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...

I have been tearing what little hair I have left out of my head trying to copy a file from my desktop to the appropriate folder in the Kodi folder buried in the XBMC… folder in Windowsapps in a brand-new fairly high-end laptop running Windows 10 Pro. I cannot get beyond first what appears to be a UAC “Destination Folder Access Denied” error message saying “You’ll need to provide administrative permission to copy to this folder.” If I click on the UAC “continue” button I get another “Destination Folder Access Denied” error box saying “You need permission to perform this action.” The second error box has only “Try Again” and “Cancel” buttons. Nothing is listed under “More details” in either error box.

Here is most of what I have tried:

1. changing ownership of Windowsapps and all folders below it to my Microsoft account user and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    2. changing ownership to administrators group for Windowsapps and all folders below it and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    3. enabling the “hidden” administrator account, going back to my Microsoft user account and granting full-control rights to the administrator account, returning to the administrator account, taking control with that account, granting full control permission to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    4. creating a new administrator account and repeating 3;
    5. completely disabling UAC through the registry, once in the default administrator account and once in my Microsoft account user.
    6. adding and using the “Take Ownership” context option on a Windowsapps folder as described in the Tutorial at Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 ; and
    7. running the following commands in an administrator command window:

Code:
    as suggested at: Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders... - Windows 10 Forums
    In fact, even if I do an explicit copy from an administrator command window, I get an “access is denied” notice.

None of the many sources I have looked at online are of any help in dealing with this blockage. Please help — not only do I need to get full-control access to Windowsapps and its subfolders for this purpose, I also need to get full-control permission to Windowsapps folders in order to get rid of an annoying McAffee startup.exe which pops an error box on every boot up even though I removed McAffee in the normal way.

How can I get assured access to Windowsapps folders???

jedpaquette, Nov 19, 2023
  3. j.col70 Win User
    j.col70, Nov 19, 2023
  4. Can't take ownership of a folder even though effective access says I have permissions to do it

Folder Access Denied - Cannot delete folder

Attempting to delete a folder tells me I need administrator permission, even though I am an administrator.

Trying to view the contents of the folder says "Access is denied."

Under the security tab, it says "You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object. Click Advanced to continue."

Under Advanced, it says "You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object. Click Continue to attempt the operation with administrative permissions".

Clicking "Continue" says "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings." under both Permissions and Effective Access.

Clicking "Change" to change the ownership gives me the same error - I am unable to change the ownership settings of the folder.

Any suggestions?

Richard_N_Shen, Nov 19, 2023
Thema:

Can't take ownership of a folder even though effective access says I have permissions to do it

1. Can't take ownership of a folder even though effective access says I have permissions to do it - Similar Threads - Can't ownership folder

2. I can't open my own files saying that I don't have permission even though I do.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't open my own files saying that I don't have permission even though I do.: ttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-files-as-admin-cant-give-self/5e447a56-01e5-47b5-bfe7-86858d5c8853 none of these solutions worked and I have full acces to the files but I can't seem to open half of them saying that I might not have the...
  3. I can't open my own files saying that I don't have permission even though I do.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't open my own files saying that I don't have permission even though I do.: ttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-files-as-admin-cant-give-self/5e447a56-01e5-47b5-bfe7-86858d5c8853 none of these solutions worked and I have full acces to the files but I can't seem to open half of them saying that I might not have the...
  4. I can't open my own files saying that I don't have permission even though I do.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't take ownership of a folder even though effective access says I have permissions to do it

Can't take ownership of a folder even though effective access says I have permissions to do it: I'm trying to access C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans but it denies me access telling me that I need to use the security tab to gain access. But when I try to change permissions in the security tab the "Change" button is greyed out. In the Effective Access tab...
  6. Can't take ownership of a folder even though effective access says I have permissions to do it

Can't take ownership of a folder even though effective access says I have permissions to do it: I'm trying to access C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans but it denies me access telling me that I need to use the security tab to gain access. But when I try to change permissions in the security tab the "Change" button is greyed out. In the Effective Access tab...
  7. Access denied to altering folder even though I have ALL permissions

Access denied to altering folder even though I have ALL permissions: I am unable to create, delete, paste, or move anything to or involving the "skin_packs" folder. C: > Program Files > WindowsApps > Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_1.18.2.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe > data > skin_packs I am aware that the "WindowsApps" folder is restricted because tampering...
  8. Access denied to altering folder even though I have ALL permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied to altering folder even though I have ALL permissions: I am unable to create, delete, paste, or move anything to or involving the "skin_packs" folder. C: > Program Files > WindowsApps > Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_1.18.2.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe > data > skin_packs I am aware that the "WindowsApps" folder is restricted because tampering...
  9. Access denied to altering folder even though I have ALL permissions

10. Windows says "no permissions" even though I have full permissions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows says "no permissions" even though I have full permissions: Hi guys! I have an external drive with a lot of files (about 2,000,000 files). For about 500 of them (which are all located in sub-folders of the same folder), Windows 10 says I don't have the permissions to access the files no matter which application I use to try to open...