Windows 10: Cant take ownership

Discus and support Cant take ownership in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So my problem started when i was on my steam and i was downloading a game onto my (D:) drive, it gave me a error message saying folder not writable. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jedrix, Feb 20, 2017.

1. jedrix Win User

Cant take ownership

So my problem started when i was on my steam and i was downloading a game onto my (DCant take ownership :) drive, it gave me a error message saying folder not writable. I narrowed the problem down to making steam folder in my (DCant take ownership :) drive not read only, but every time i try to, i get an error message saying; failed to enumerate objects in container, access is denied. so I then did research on this issue and found i could take ownership or the folder, after i try this i get another access denied error. ive tried looking at alot of different website trying to find a potential fix but nothing works. ive tried some cmd lines and disabling UAC any help is good help

:)

jedrix, Feb 20, 2017

2. Take Ownership

I'm the admin on the computer but win 10 is not giving me full access.

For example: Notepad.

Windows allows me to take ownership of the file but will not allow me to have FULL access rights. How do I fix this? thanks

Nightstream, Feb 20, 2017
  3. Take ownership

Hi Marko,

The issue you're experiencing with pasting files under Program Files might be due to a variety of reasons, and that is what we are going to find out. To help us identify the cause of this issue, we would need to know the following information:

• Is your device connected to a domain?
    • What type of files are you trying to paste into Program Files?
    • Are you getting the same issue to all of the files you're trying to paste into Program Files or the issue is isolated with specific files?
    • What error message are you getting when you are trying to paste files under Program Files?
    • Have you made any changes to your device before this issue happened?
    • Are you having the same issue even when using other user profiles?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Feb 20, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Cant take ownership

What did you try exactly? You need to take ownership and then give yourself authority.

From an elevated command prompt this should work - copy it just as it is - don't replace %USERNAME% with your name or anything: Code: takeown /f "D:\Steam" /r icacls "D:\Steam" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%"Cant take ownership :(F) /t[/quote] If it doesn't work please say what error it gives with a screenshot if possible.

Thema:

Cant take ownership

1. Cant take ownership - Similar Threads - Cant ownership

2. Cant change ownership of file Greyed Out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant change ownership of file Greyed Out: Hello,I'm trying to take ownership of a file, however, the option is greyed out. what can I do about it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-ownership-of-file-greyed-out/13a91edf-ff39-4976-8e55-fae46f9d1fdb
  3. Cant change ownership of file Greyed Out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant change ownership of file Greyed Out: Hello,I'm trying to take ownership of a file, however, the option is greyed out. what can I do about it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-ownership-of-file-greyed-out/13a91edf-ff39-4976-8e55-fae46f9d1fdb
  4. Cant change ownership of file Greyed Out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. cant change the file folder ownership

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cant change the file folder ownership: I cannot save my games to my D drive, my D drive has 400Gb available storage, is there a workaround https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-the-file-folder-ownership/bcea7aaa-b63e-43a5-a61f-4a760d7f4fec
  6. cant change the file folder ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant change the file folder ownership: I cannot save my games to my D drive, my D drive has 400Gb available storage, is there a workaround https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-the-file-folder-ownership/bcea7aaa-b63e-43a5-a61f-4a760d7f4fec
  7. cant change the file folder ownership

8. I have full ownership but still cant delete this file due to permission. Windows 11 on D disk.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have full ownership but still cant delete this file due to permission. Windows 11 on D disk.: ok there is this folder that has been making me unable to change the files directory.and I changed the owner ship to me, but still cant delete it due to permission...
  9. I have full ownership but still cant delete this file due to permission. Windows 11 on D disk.

I have full ownership but still cant delete this file due to permission. Windows 11 on D disk.: ok there is this folder that has been making me unable to change the files directory.and I changed the owner ship to me, but still cant delete it due to permission...
  10. Cant take ownership of system 32

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant take ownership of system 32: Hello dear people,i recently got an error that many of you know 0xc000007b,to fix it i need to paste some new dll files in system 32 to repair the appEpic Games Launcher that i need to open i need to have ownership on system 32 folder,i am the administrator of this pc,and i...