Windows 10: cant transfer large file from external hard drive to ssd when I should have enough space

Discus and support cant transfer large file from external hard drive to ssd when I should have enough space in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need to copy a large unedited video file of the external hard drive it is on to my ssd to edit it. I have been doing this for a while and before had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by alexander the bestest, Jun 22, 2019.

1. cant transfer large file from external hard drive to ssd when I should have enough space

I need to copy a large unedited video file of the external hard drive it is on to my ssd to edit it. I have been doing this for a while and before had no problems but now every try it tells me that I don't have enough space.

my ssd:

cant transfer large file from external hard drive to ssd when I should have enough space 646403e0-7832-4263-8e7f-4921f355c3ba?upload=true.png

the file

cant transfer large file from external hard drive to ssd when I should have enough space cba4a04b-e963-4f20-b21b-3cf00c9fd9c6?upload=true.png

every time I try to copy it over it runs for a while and then gives me an error message saying that I need 93.7gb to copy the file over. I have no idea what's wrong.

:)

alexander the bestest, Jun 22, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jun 22, 2019
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi,

Just to verify, did you mean, your back up files used to be on your external hard drive, but now it's no longer there? If this is true, kindly provide more answers to the questions below, so we can further assess the issue:

• When did the files start to disappear?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    • Did you make nay changes on the settings of your PC or hard drive prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to plug in your external drive?
    • Does your external drive shows that the space is consumed?

Please advise. We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, Jun 22, 2019
  4. AmitAkkad Win User

cant transfer large file from external hard drive to ssd when I should have enough space

Transfer of files to external drive

On my Windows 10 laptop, when I try to copy a 60GB folder from my hard drive to an external drive (to back up), I get a message that the external drive has only "15" GB of free space, which is not enough to transfer the folder. In reality, the external
    drive has more than 1 TB of free space available (when viewed independently in Window Explorer). Actually, the number "15" is the same as free space on the hard drive. In other words, while transferring a folder, windows mistakenly views free space on hard
    drive as free space on external drive. This happened only in last week or so (it worked fine for 2 years until then). Note that this happens even with other external drives, and even using different USB ports.

AmitAkkad, Jun 22, 2019
Thema:

cant transfer large file from external hard drive to ssd when I should have enough space

1. cant transfer large file from external hard drive to ssd when I should have enough space - Similar Threads - cant transfer large

2. Transfer data from hard drive to external SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer data from hard drive to external SSD.: Can someone tell me how to transfer data from hard drive to external SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-data-from-hard-drive-to-external-ssd/8d744dd6-1e4d-48a6-bcda-c241eec118bb
  3. Transfer data from hard drive to external SSD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transfer data from hard drive to external SSD.: Can someone tell me how to transfer data from hard drive to external SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-data-from-hard-drive-to-external-ssd/8d744dd6-1e4d-48a6-bcda-c241eec118bb
  4. Transfer data from hard drive to external SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive: I'm having a hard time finding which USB ports on my laptop and its dock are v3 or v2 (or less possibly), but when I tried two different ports (I think one is v3), they both seemed to transfer at about 150KBps... which seems slow even for USB v2. I'm copying files from an...
  6. Unable to transfer files to and from external hard drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to transfer files to and from external hard drives: My HP laptop is unable to modify or transfer files from external hard drives. It says i need permission to access the folders so i changed the ownership and reset the permissions of the files and it still didn't work. I also tried formatting the hard drives but it didn't...
  7. Fast data transfer from SSD and External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fast data transfer from SSD and External Hard Drive: Hello, I appealed to the Microsoft community to ask for your opinion in order to give me information on how to quickly transfer data from computer SSD and external hard drive. I mention that I have the SSD on the computer and I have an external Hard Drive. Wait for response!...
  8. Error when transferring files to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error when transferring files to external hard drive: When transferring image files from laptop to an external hard drive I continue getting an error message saying there is not enough space in the computers picture files to complete the transfer. This is not making sense to me as I am trying to transfer the images from the...
  9. I can't transfer files from external Hard drive to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't transfer files from external Hard drive to SSD: Hey guys, So recently I built a new computer from scratch with the exception of the hard drive, which I carried over from my old computer. The new computer ran fine and everything was dandy. I then bought a new SSD which I also installed and I copied a bunch of files from an...
  10. "Not enough space on hard drive"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Not enough space on hard drive": Hi I'm trying to install an old program on my Windows 10 computer. Everything seems OK until the "available space" on the hard drive is shown. This shows as a negative amount in Kb, I have a 2TB hard drive which is practically brand new. Help please....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd wont transfer a lot of files

2. how to move large file to external in windows 10