Windows 10: Can't transfer license to a new PC

Discus and support Can't transfer license to a new PC in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi! My old PC has been dead for about 8 - 9 months now and I haven't tried to replace it. Till now, amidst the current crisis that I have to attend my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Canttransfermylicense, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Can't transfer license to a new PC

Hi! My old PC has been dead for about 8 - 9 months now and I haven't tried to replace it. Till now, amidst the current crisis that I have to attend my classes through the internet and my phone isn't really cutting it anymore. So my father found an old PC from his workplace that ran Windows XP. Unfortunately support for Windows XP has been dropped from almost all programs, due to security problems most likely. Anyway, I decided to format it and install Windows 10 hoping that my digital license, linked to my Microsoft account, would transfer over to the new PC. For my misfortune though, that is not the case and going through the troubleshooting process revealed to me that my old PC has an unsupported version somehow, and now I'm stuck, trying to find a solution because I need to attend to my classes next week. My old PC was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro after running an Insider build a few months before the release. Never had any problems when formatting my PC, even when I changed to Windows 10 Pro N, for less clutter from apps I didn't use. Everything activated fine once I logged to my account. I have exactly the same version installed on the new PC Windows 10 Pro N albeit the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit since the new PC is lower speced Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz, 1 GB Ram. I really can't find out why the same version of Windows is considered unsupported for transferring, and through my search around the internet I haven't made much progress so I would really appreciate if someone from the community or Microsoft Support can help me out here. Thank you all in advance and I hope you're all doing well in these rough times.

:)

Canttransfermylicense, Apr 17, 2020
  2. PKJ
    pkj Win User

Transfer a Windows 10 license to a new PC

I have purchased a new PC and I would like to transfer Windows license from my old PC to the new one. I am using Windows 10 (which was upgraded from Win 8.1) on my older computer and is activated with a licence linked to my Microsoft account. On my new PC, I have installed fresh copy of Win 10 using Media Creation Tool. To activate Windows on the new PC, I attempted the following, but have not deactivated Windows on the old PC (deactivation procedure described here)-

Settings > Update & Security > Activation> Troubleshoot> I changed hardware on this device recently> Logged into my connected Microsoft account > This is the device I’m using right now > Activate.

After performing the above, I am unable to activate Windows on my new PC. Please help me with the following-

1. Do I need to deactivate windows on older PC first?
    2. Does Microsoft entitle users to transfer licenses to new PC?
    3. Is there anything else which I have missed out?

If this helps- slmgr -dli gives the following

Can't transfer license to a new PC LTP2X.jpg

3. Transfer Win 10 license to a new PC

Hello,

I bought a new PC and read that I can transfer my Windows 10 license to it and I have a few questions.

Few years ago I used Win 7 Pro license to install my two PC's.

When FREE update came I upgraded both of them to Windows 10 x64 PRO.

Yesterday I assembled a new PC which will replace one of them and I want to transfer the license to it from the one it is replacing.

The question is if I transfer the activation license will I lose the activation on the second PC or not?

What are the steps to do the actual license transfer?

Vladimir Jelovac, Apr 17, 2020
  4. Can't transfer license to a new PC

Transfer digital license from old PC to New one.

You would have to first ensure the Digital License is linked to your Microsoft Account. See instructions how to do that. You can then use the Troubleshooter on the new computer after installing Windows 10 to restore the license.

Please note, if your license was upgraded from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 7 license, it is not transferable.

See:

Andre Da Costa, Apr 17, 2020
Thema:

Can't transfer license to a new PC

1. Can't transfer license to a new PC - Similar Threads - Can't transfer license

2. Transfer Windows license to a new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows license to a new PC: I bought a retail version of Windows 10 in 2017, which was a digital code obtained from the Microsoft website. I have been using it on my laptop since then. However, I plan to purchase a new PC and would like to install Windows 11 on it. Can I format my old laptop, install a...
  3. Transfer Windows license to a new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Windows license to a new PC: I bought a retail version of Windows 10 in 2017, which was a digital code obtained from the Microsoft website. I have been using it on my laptop since then. However, I plan to purchase a new PC and would like to install Windows 11 on it. Can I format my old laptop, install a...
  4. Transferring Windows license to a new PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring Windows license to a new PC.: I have a Windows 10 license that is connected to my Microsoft Account. I will soon buy a laptop without a system and i want to install Windows 11 on it. And my question is, if i login to that Microsoft account on Windows 11 will it automatically activate? Or do i need to...
  5. Transferring license to new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring license to new PC: Hello! I'm building a new PC, and am trying to figure out the best and easiest way to move my product license over. It'll be completely blank, and from what I've been gathering I can download the installation media for Windows onto a USB, and then plug it into the new PC...
  6. can't transfer windows license to a new pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    can't transfer windows license to a new pc: Hi, I have a problem transfering Windows 10 license from old pc to new. I get activation error code 0xC004C003 on new pc, which should mean that it's not valid product key. At first I uninstalled the product key from old pc by using "slmgr /upk" and then installed it on...
  7. Transferring Digital License to New PC

Transferring Digital License to New PC: I want to transfer a retail digital license for Windows 10 Home Edition, purchased online, from my Lenovo desktop, which stopped working, to a new Dell desktop. I have tried all of the suggestions and MS Support, but I can't get through to talk to an actual person. I am...
  8. Transferring Digital License to a new PC

Transferring Digital License to a new PC: Hello, I am soon going to sell my PC and build a new one, but I'd like to transfer my digital license over to the new PC that I am going to build. I would also like to point out that my digital license is already linked to my Microsoft account. I need a explanation on how to...
  9. License Transfer new PC build

License Transfer new PC build: Hello All, I'm hoping the answer is yes however I would like to check if anyone has experience of the following - I've had the same PC for quite a long time now, and have in that time switched to using an SSD, new graphics and memory, motherboard has not changed. Originally...
  10. Digital License transfer to a new pc

Digital License transfer to a new pc: Greetings, I want to transfer my Windows 10 digital license to a new laptop which has shipped with pre-installed MS DOS. My old laptop had shipped with pre-installed Windows 8.1 which I upgraded to Windows 10 Home (single language) using the free offer available during that...