Windows 10: Cant turn computer off and on without a usb connected

Discus and support Cant turn computer off and on without a usb connected in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a lenovo yoga - 910 that wont turn off or on without my bootable usb (with a windows 10 iso file on) connected. It occured after I tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JonasRossen, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Cant turn computer off and on without a usb connected

I have a lenovo yoga - 910 that wont turn off or on without my bootable usb (with a windows 10 iso file on) connected.

It occured after I tried to turn off my computer and it would keep restarting a split second after turn off.

I then did a force shutdown and then got a "default bootdevice missing connect recovery media"(something like that).

I then tried with a bootable USB with an iso file of windows 10, tried everything but all i tried gave me a blue screen of death with error messages like "BCD store file missing or corrupted"

Then suddenly after I did a command in cmd promt through the recovery media I was able to boot into windows but only as long the USB was connected and when I try to turn of computer it will freeze with the message "closing down computer" and if i connect the usb while in this state it then shutdowns.

Im booting through UEFI and when going to bootmenu in BIOS it doesnt show my harddisk as an option to boot from, even though it is detected in the system info on first page in bios, I can only choose my USB.

please help!!!

Jonas Rossen

:)

JonasRossen, Oct 9, 2019
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Kick or Ban who is connected with my internet ?

You would have to do that on your Router's setup webpage. 1st step is to turn on WiFi encryption and password. 2nd step, if you feel you need to, is set up an access list of the physical MAC addresses for the network adapters of the computers you want to allow to connect. Any other network adapter not on that MAC filter list won't be able to connect. (but MAC addresses can be easily spoofed, if the third person knows which MAC addresses are allowed).

NavyLCDR, Oct 9, 2019
  3. Issue with USB ports turning off

Hi Mattx1,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

1. Does the issue occur with all the USB devices plugged in to the PC?
    2. Does the issue occur when you plug in the USB device to any of the UISB port on the PC?
    3. Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?

Let us try these steps one by one to check if that makes any difference.

Step 1: Suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and check if that helps.

1. From the Settings screen, choose Update & Security.
    2. Select Troubleshoot. Look for Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and run it.
    3. Follow the on-screen direction to complete the process and if required please apply the fix it.
    4. Once it is done, please reboot the computer and check the status.

Step 2: Suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers on the PC to check if that helps.

1. Press ‘Windows + R’ keys, type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run window and press Enter.
    2. In Device Manager, expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    3. Right click a device under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and click uninstall.
    4. Perform same step for other devices. When completed, restart the computer.
    All USB controllers will reinstall automatically.

Article for Reference.

Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17614/automatically-diagnose-and-fix-windows-usb-problems

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Oct 9, 2019
  4. Gramps Win User

Cant turn computer off and on without a usb connected

Internet connection dropping

I had already tried this and it did not work. I did find an updated driver for my adapter (Realtek) and so far no more problems. Thanks for the suggestion!

Gramps, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

Cant turn computer off and on without a usb connected

1. Cant turn computer off and on without a usb connected - Similar Threads - Cant turn computer

2. usb cant connect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb cant connect: usb error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-cant-connect/f8f5f158-11f2-4c45-a557-d4f458d99bde
  3. usb cant connect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb cant connect: usb error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-cant-connect/f8f5f158-11f2-4c45-a557-d4f458d99bde
  4. usb cant connect

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer Turns Off Without Warning

Computer Turns Off Without Warning: Hello! Thanks for your time. I've found lately that whenever my computer starts to run low on battery around 11-14%, it will just shut down entirely without warning no low battery prompt or anything, and when I immediately plug it in and turn it back on, instead of resuming...
  6. USB electricity turns off despite ticking off "allow computer to turn off this device to...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB electricity turns off despite ticking off "allow computer to turn off this device to...: When I turn off the computer, the power in the USB ports also turns off. I tried ticking off the boxes "allow computer to turn off this device to save power" of all my USB hubs via Device Manager, but this doesn't make any difference. It used to work until the last system...
  7. Cant turn off location

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant turn off location: My location is always on. When i go to settings and then privacy and click location the settings closes by itself submitted by /u/fizzy2001 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gi08ai/cant_turn_off_location/
  8. Frequent BSOD and computer turning off without warning

Frequent BSOD and computer turning off without warning: I'm including a OneDrive link to 3 minidump files (at time of posting, 2, the third is still pending sync and I'm having trouble forcing it to sync) and my system information below, but here's what I'm dealing with. I built my computer a few months ago and was plagued by...
  9. My SSD connection turn off and on through USB !!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My SSD connection turn off and on through USB !!: I am running surface scan or my SSD that is connected through USB 2 port but always after like 30 minutes the drive suddenly turn off (disappear from my computer) then turn on again and keep looping . I already unchecked to allow turn off to all USB ports in device manager,...
  10. Monitor randomly turns off without reconnecting to computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor randomly turns off without reconnecting to computer: While browsing the internet on my computer, after about 2 minutes, my monitor will turn off. I can turn it back on, but when I do, it cannot reconnect the display to my computer. The computer remains on, and so does the monitor. The only way to fix this that I could find is...