Windows 10: Can't turn on HDR for games and apps

Discus and support Can't turn on HDR for games and apps in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi In the Windows HDR color settings I can turn on stream HDR video. But not play HDR games and apps. I thought my laptop & screen would have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ACasualObserver2, May 1, 2020.

1. Can't turn on HDR for games and apps

Hi

In the Windows HDR color settings I can turn on stream HDR video. But not play HDR games and apps.

I thought my laptop & screen would have the capability. Am I wrong? Or am I missing something?

I'm not connecting to an external monitor btw - just solely the laptop

Full specs:

SkuDescription
    338-BSCZ
    9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H 12 MB Cache, 6 Core, up to 4.50 GHz
    619-ANOT
    Windows 10 Home 64bit, English, Dutch, French, German, Italian
    490-BFFD
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
    391-BEOX
    15.6-inch 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 OLED Anti-Reflective InfinityEdge Non-Touch Display
    370-AERS
    32 GB, 2 x 16 GB, DDR4, 2666 MHz
    400-BFJH
    1 TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid-State Drive
    302-11022
    1Y Collect and Return Service
    344-70563
    1Y Premium Support and Onsite Service
    755-10596
    1 year Accidental Damage Protection
    630-ABBT
    Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial - Excludes Office License
    525-10368
    McAfee® LiveSafe™ 12 Month Subscription
    580-AIBR
    Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Backlit Keyboard
    346-BFQJ
    Palmrest for 81 key Finger Print
    555-BFBL
    Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650, 2 x 2, Bluetooth 5.0
    210-ASIH
    XPS 15 7590
    998-DPZL
    BERLR2001_1682/GB/BTS
    451-BCGF
    6-Cell, 97 WHr, Integrated battery
    450-AAQO
    UK E5 Power Cord
    340-ACCX
    English, French, German, Italian, Dutch Shipping Docs
    817-BBER
    TPM Included
    340-BKXP
    XPS 15 Shipping Material
    450-AHFL
    130 W AC adapter
    555-BFBZ
    Killer™ 1650, 2x2 AX, BT 5.0, Driver
    320-BDIK
    Silver
    340-AARH
    Retail, Print on Demand
    817-BBBC
    No Warranty Tech Sheet Required
    799-AAMQ
    Dell XPS Order
    631-ACEB
    No Out-of-Band Systems Management, ME Disable
    340-CMMH
    Quick Start Guide
    340-CKVM
    Intel® Core ™ i7 Processor Label
    620-AAOH
    Recovery USB Media Not Included
    658-BEHS
    Additional Software Windows 10
    817-BBBC
    Not Selected in this Configuration
    800-BBGQ
    Smart Selection Shipment
    486-45268
    CN79021

:)

ACasualObserver2, May 1, 2020

2. HDR streaming not turning on.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern that the HDR streaming is crashing in your laptop. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the make and model of the PC?

However, we would like you to update the display/graphics driver to the latest version and also suggest you to refer this article and let us know the status of the issue:

Stream HDR video on Windows 10

We await your response,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator.

Aditya_Roy, May 1, 2020
  3. Thagstrom Win User
    Cannot toggle to yes for HDR on apps and games

Hello! I am an Independent Advisor, I would love to help you out!

Is this a laptop?

On HDR-capable laptops, the default power settings will turn off HDR when running on battery power. To have HDR turn on, do one of the following:

Plug in your laptop (recommended).

Select the Start button, then select Settings > System > Display > Windows HD Color settings. Under Battery options, clear the Don’t allow HDR games and apps on battery check box.

Note that allowing HDR when running on battery power will reduce battery life.

Or if you have multiple monitors:

When you first connect an external display to a laptop, Windows will duplicate your desktop on both displays by default. However, HDR isn’t supported in this configuration. To view HDR content on the external HDR monitor or TV, extend your desktop across both
    displays:

Select the Start button, then select Settings > System > Display .

For Multiple monitors, select Extend these displays.

Let me know if it is not a laptop!

Hope this helps!

Thagstrom, May 1, 2020
  4. Tom Wonk Win User

Can't turn on HDR for games and apps

Issues when playing games in Full Screen with "Play HDR games and apps" Enabled

I have the "Play HDR games and apps" setting enabled, otherwise everything I use on the monitor looks dull. I have been randomly getting black screens for a while now while playing full screen games. Took me weeks to figure out why this was happening.

When I turn up (or down) my pc volume by using the scroll wheel on my keyboard, a volume indicator appears on the top left of my monitor with the volume level.

This works perfectly on windowed / borderless games (even with HDR enabled) however if HDR is enabled and I am in Full Screen, when I adjust the volume I get a black screen. It then reconnects and a box in the center of the monitor appears to indicate the resolution
    is 2560 x 1440 HDR.

Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum.

Graphics Card: Geforce RTX 2080 Super.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s).

Monitor: 2560 x 1440 165hz, Connected via Display Port.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get the volume control to not cause black screens while playing in Full Screen games with HDR enabled?

Tom Wonk, May 1, 2020
Thema:

Can't turn on HDR for games and apps

1. Can't turn on HDR for games and apps - Similar Threads - Can't turn HDR

2. i can't turn off HDR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i can't turn off HDR: Hello,for some reason i can't turn off hdr i have the button but when i press it it won't turn offmy monitor is a Samsung Odyssey G5 and my gpu is a 6900xt i do know that the samsung Odyssy g5 is a hdr10 monitor...
  3. i can't turn off HDR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i can't turn off HDR: Hello,for some reason i can't turn off hdr i have the button but when i press it it won't turn offmy monitor is a Samsung Odyssey G5 and my gpu is a 6900xt i do know that the samsung Odyssy g5 is a hdr10 monitor...
  4. [HDR]Turn on the HDR when playing 4K HDR video

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [HDR]Turn on the HDR when playing 4K HDR video: I turn on the HDR when playing 4K HDR video, I found that the video image was overexposed. After suspending the video, it could be restored to normal. May I ask why this phenomenon occurs and is it normal?...
  5. HDR turns off in full screen games

in Windows 10 Customization
    HDR turns off in full screen games: Whenever I try to play a game in full screen my HDR will turn off even though it used to run perfectly fine in full screen with HDR. I have the predator 4K monitor 3840 x 2160 120 hz refresh rate system specs AMD Ryzen 9 5950X AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT I am really not sure how to...
  6. Accidentally turned on hdr

Accidentally turned on hdr: I accidentally turned on hdr, on a monitor that I assume doesnt support it. I unplugged my main monitor and plugged in a secondary one that also doesnt support it, so I don't know how it's usable. I looked at many threads/ tutorials and they always said to use the slider to...
  7. HDR turns on, no matter what game.

HDR turns on, no matter what game.: Hello! Is there any way to stop my monitor from automatically turning on HDR mode when in a game? Whenever I boot up a game the monitor will auto switch to FreeSync2 HDR On, even if that game doesn't support HDR. Most of the menu options on the monitor are greyed out,...
  8. Turned on HDR, screen black, can't turn it off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turned on HDR, screen black, can't turn it off: To elaborate on the title: I set up a computer on a regular 1080p screen. All updates installed, all's well. Put it next to the TV and connected. I log in and see that it automatically chose 4k resolution. Wonderful. I go into settings to turn on HDR. The second I do,...
  9. HDR streaming not turning on.

HDR streaming not turning on.: My laptop is supporting HDR steaming but when i try to turn it on it crashes. i tried with power supply on in laptop. now i don't know what i have to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr-streaming-not-turning-on/cae4ebbd-37c5-4a35-986c-f6fa7eb6c4ff
  10. Cannot toggle to yes for HDR on apps and games

Cannot toggle to yes for HDR on apps and games: My original thread went ignored here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-toggle-to-yes-for-hdr-on-apps-and-games/5a07b600-70b2-4931-85b5-67aceca64d11 I don't know how to switch questions over so this is the best I can do :(...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. download wcg app