Windows 10: Can't type ahead to search Start Menu after hitting Windows key on Windows 10

Discus and support Can't type ahead to search Start Menu after hitting Windows key on Windows 10 in Cortana to solve the problem; On Windows 10 20H2 and now 21H1, I can no longer type ahead to filter/search Start Menu items after hitting the Windows key. Also related, the Seaarch... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by theJuzzle, Aug 5, 2021.

1. theJuzzle Win User

Can't type ahead to search Start Menu after hitting Windows key on Windows 10

On Windows 10 20H2 and now 21H1, I can no longer type ahead to filter/search Start Menu items after hitting the Windows key. Also related, the Seaarch icon on the task bar only momentarily activates then disappears before I can type anything in the search box.I've tried:restarted the Windows Search service - no improvementrun sfc/scannow - no improvementWindows Update - no improvementRebuilt Search Index 20,000 items - no improvementThis is highly debiliating because I cannot search for installed programs - the only way to find installed applications is to use the alphabet grid very limited

:)

theJuzzle, Aug 5, 2021
  2. scevism Win User
    scevism, Aug 5, 2021
  3. Jetster Win User
    Jetster, Aug 5, 2021
  4. Can't type ahead to search Start Menu after hitting Windows key on Windows 10

Windows 10 download speed issues

Try this method:
    • First of all from Start Menu, open Settings (Type settings in the search bar and it will appear).
    • locate and select “Update and Security“.
    • in this window, Locate “Advanced Options”. Click on it.
    • In Advanced Options; Click on “Choose How Updates are Delivered“.
    • Turn off Updates from more than one place.
    Your system will not work as a seeder for other Windows 10 users. It will give sudden boast to your Slow internet speed.

lorraine walsh, Aug 5, 2021
Thema:

Can't type ahead to search Start Menu after hitting Windows key on Windows 10

1. Can't type ahead to search Start Menu after hitting Windows key on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't type ahead

2. Can't type into Windows menu search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't type into Windows menu search bar: Clicking in the search bar does not register with the cursor symbol, and typing "P" for example does not insert P but selects Powerpoint. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-into-windows-menu-search-bar/5fe31a4d-409b-4abe-bcc0-27bdbe5d3a9e
  3. Can't type into Windows menu search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't type into Windows menu search bar: Clicking in the search bar does not register with the cursor symbol, and typing "P" for example does not insert P but selects Powerpoint. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-into-windows-menu-search-bar/5fe31a4d-409b-4abe-bcc0-27bdbe5d3a9e
  4. Can't Hit Windows Key And Start Typing To Search After Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Hit Windows Key And Start Typing To Search After Update: I used to be able to just hit the Windows key and then start typing to search for apps, etc. After the most recent update, this is no longer the case.If I click on the Windows icon and then start typing, the search works.It's as if the focus is not there to allow for typing...
  5. Can't type in start menu search bar?

in Cortana
    Can't type in start menu search bar?: Today i started facing this issue after i set my system's locale to japan so i could run some software.The language options on the bottom right of the bar disappeared and suddenly I wasn't able to type anything in the search box of the start menu. or the settings. I tried...
  6. Windows 10 start menu closing itself after opening as I hit the Windows key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 start menu closing itself after opening as I hit the Windows key: So in the past like 5 days this https://imgur.com/a/V9TpYGG weird issue has been going on, the magnifying glass search menu to the right of the Windows icon at the bottom left still opens like usual and so does Cortana and task view. And like Im showing with Edge in the...
  7. Windows 10: Can't type in search box or in start menu.

in Cortana
    Windows 10: Can't type in search box or in start menu.: Hello, I've been using my new Windows 10 PC for less than a day and am unable to type into the Windows 10 search box/bar. Also, setting the search bar to display the search icon instead, and then clicking on the icon does not make a search bar appear nothing happens. Showing...
  8. Prevent "Type to Search" on Windows 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Prevent "Type to Search" on Windows 10 Start Menu: Afternoon. I am struggling to find a way to disable the "type to search" feature on the windows 10 start menu. I have enabled various GPOs to prevent Cortana however the actual feature I want to stop is the ability for users to select start -> and type to search for local...
  9. Can't type in start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't type in start menu?: After Windows automatically restart to install their amazing new update, I can no longer type in the start menu. I have tried nearly all fixes I have found online, including reinstalling Cortana and running ctfmon.exe, but none of it has worked. This issue only started when...
  10. I can't type into Windows 10 search bar or type within start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't type into Windows 10 search bar or type within start menu: So randomly, I can no longer type into the windows 10 search and when I bring up the start menu I cannot type in it to search for apps. I've search and tried a few things but still no luck. I attempted to do a system restore to a previous point in safe mode, but I run into an...