Windows 10: Can't type anything on task search bar and file explorer

Discus and support Can't type anything on task search bar and file explorer in Cortana to solve the problem; Earlier today while organizing my files all of a sudden when I tried to search that type of file instead of usually typing up the words I need to get a... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by norahgreen, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Can't type anything on task search bar and file explorer

Earlier today while organizing my files all of a sudden when I tried to search that type of file instead of usually typing up the words I need to get a group of the same file, it would highlight the first letter down on my current folder. For example Jack, James, Jermy, etc. My task search bar as also stopped working along with this too. I basically tried almost everything, by troubleshooting and resetting my pc multiple times. I might have probably pressed a certain shortcut without knowing but I'm not sure.

:)

norahgreen, Aug 27, 2020

2. File explorer not searching in This PC

Hi George,

I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I suggest you to reset Windows explorer and check the behavior.

Please follow the steps:

• Right click on the task Bar and select Task Manager.

• Select Processes tab.

• Choose windows explorer and right click on it.

• Select end task

• Click on file menu and select run new task.

• Type explorer.exe

• Click on ok.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue with Windows Explorer. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Aug 27, 2020
  3. File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Aug 27, 2020
  4. GlenReid1 Win User

Can't type anything on task search bar and file explorer

File explorer and Task bar search windows

Why can't I type into the file explorer and the task bar search windows? There is no cursor when trying to click in either window. It is some what recent, worked several week ago pretty sure. I was working with using the file search function out of a 3rd
    party manual.

Glen Reid

GlenReid1, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

Can't type anything on task search bar and file explorer

1. Can't type anything on task search bar and file explorer - Similar Threads - Can't type anything

2. Search bar, can't type anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar, can't type anything: Hi, a couple weeks ago the search bar stopped working in windows windows 10 Pro. Cannot type anything. Search in windows explorer is also not working.I tried the troubleshooter and DISM tool without any success.Also tried a repair install with a usb media creation tooll...
  3. Search bar, can't type anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search bar, can't type anything: Hi, a couple weeks ago the search bar stopped working in windows windows 10 Pro. Cannot type anything. Search in windows explorer is also not working.I tried the troubleshooter and DISM tool without any success.Also tried a repair install with a usb media creation tooll...
  4. Search bar, can't type anything

in Cortana
  5. I can't type anything in my search bar

in Cortana
    I can't type anything in my search bar: So recently I've had to reinstall windows on my computer because it crashed and I wasn't able to open it again. I did so by downloading the media creation tool on another computer making a recovery usb and reinstalling windows, admittedly it wasn't the cleanest recovery and I...
  6. Can't type anything in the file explorer search box.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't type anything in the file explorer search box.: Just that. I've tried resetting my notebook several times, but it didn't work. How do I fix this? Thanks. submitted by /u/CannedPeas_1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m1urbt/cant_type_anything_in_the_file_explorer_search_box/
  7. Can't type anything in the Windows search bar

in Cortana
    Can't type anything in the Windows search bar: For some reason, I'm not able to type anything in the Windows search bar. It either gets stuck whilst typing, or it just crashes. I've done the Windows troubleshooting for Search and Indexing, but unfortunately, that didn't help at all. Could anyone please guide me with...
  8. Search Box in Task Bar and File Explorer Not Recognizing Typing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Box in Task Bar and File Explorer Not Recognizing Typing: I'm using a Surface Pro 6 and have had this issue for awhile where I cannot type any text into the search box in the task bar nor in the quick search access of the Task Manager. The cursor doesn't seem to recognize the search boxes. I am running the latest version of Windows...
  9. Can't type anything in File Explorer Search box

in Cortana
    Can't type anything in File Explorer Search box: Can't type anything in File Explorer Search box. Search box is greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-anything-in-file-explorer-search-box/b93f647a-cadc-4f4e-b7e2-fd1ac6c87e1c
  10. Cannot type anything on the task bar and inside setting search bar!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot type anything on the task bar and inside setting search bar!: Hi, I've recently updated my laptop to the newest version of Windows 10, since then I started to notice that I cannot input any keys / characters from my keyboard on the task bar and inside setting search bar. May I know how to resolve this issue? I have no trouble typing...