Windows 10: can't type inside Microsoft command prompt boxes, Windows 10 deactivated! and I can't find...

Discus and support can't type inside Microsoft command prompt boxes, Windows 10 deactivated! and I can't find... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Almost 2 yrs ago I gave up on using my POS HP laptop due to it suddenly, inexplicably, deactivated Windows 10. I CAN use google or other browsers, even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by skymama65, Jan 26, 2021.

1. skymama65 Win User

can't type inside Microsoft command prompt boxes, Windows 10 deactivated! and I can't find...

Almost 2 yrs ago I gave up on using my POS HP laptop due to it suddenly, inexplicably, deactivated Windows 10. I CAN use google or other browsers, even the Microsoft browser to a limited extent, but when I try to use ME to get help, I end up with boxes popping up asking me for error codes & passwords----and I can't type them in! I try, but nothing happens! I've even typed out passwords in another browser's window & copied it...thinking I'd just past it in the darn box. But nope! I right click inside the box, and NADDA!

Same goes for the start/search box. And Cortana doesn't recognize me.

I've gone on the ME browser & copy/pasted help pages to Google browser, but inevitably, a microsoft box pops up, asks me to input numbers or codes, but won't allow me to type anything in... so I can't go any further in using any help or repair items.

I tried upgrading, too, and now, even tho I am connected to the internet, I can't send files to my HP printer, and my printer can't scan to my laptop. So that's nice. NOT.

Lastly, ever since this happened in 1017-18, I've been using my phone for all my online stuff --emails, watching vids, etc. In these past few weeks, however, I've been trying to get this machine working, to no avail. I thought about doing a recovery, but since Windows is no longer activated, and I can't even find the receipt from 2015 when I bought this, I'm afraid that if I do that I won't be able to get back on at all --and right now I still have a BUNCH of saved files/docs/photos, even my GED file for my ongoing genealogy research -all of which I'd like to save to a disc or memory stick before I take such a risk. I just can't bear to lose it all and no, it isn't all online, bc I always downloaded my research, rather than leave it online.

btw, I AM NOT tech savvy. Please, if you can help me, write things out as simply as possible. Step by step. Pictures help. lol.

thank you.

:)

skymama65, Jan 26, 2021

2. Is it time for Windows 10 already?

For those that don't have the tray notification.

If you don’t think any of these conditions apply to you, and you’re still not seeing the icon, you can also try running the solution below, which will verify your device meets all the prerequisites and then turn on the Get Windows 10 app:

• Open Notepad
    • Copy the following text and paste it into Notepad:
    REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx

if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

:CompatCheckRunning

schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready

if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning

:RunGWX

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

• Click File, and then Save As
    • In the File name box, change the file name to ReserveWin10.cmd

• Then click the dropdown next to Save as type, and select All files (*.*)

• Select the folder you would like to save the file to.For this example, let’s choose to save the file to the C:/Temp folder.Then click Save.

• Open an elevated command prompt.(From the Start screen or Start menu, type Command Prompt in the search box, and then in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and selectRun as administrator.)

• Finally, run the file from the location you saved to in Step 6.In this example, you would type the following in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter:

C:/Temp/ReserveWin10.cmd
    The Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser can take 10 – 30 minutes to run, during which the script will continuously provide status reports that it is running. Please be patient.

If the script is failing in an infinite loop, then you don’t have the necessary prerequisite Windows Updates. Besides requiring Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update, you must also have installed:

For Windows 7 SP1:

KB3035583

KB2952664

For Windows 8.1 Update:

KB3035583

KB2976978

ThE_MaD_ShOt, Jan 26, 2021
  3. Windows updates won't install!

Thank you very much! This did the trick:

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    b. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    net stop wuauserv

2. Register the Wups2.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
    b. Click OK on each verification message that you receive.

3. Type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:
    net start wuauserv
    4. Exit the command prompt. To do this type exit, and then press ENTER.

If possible I'd give you many more thanks not just one! I love you! *Big Grin can't type inside Microsoft command prompt boxes, Windows 10 deactivated! and I can't find... :D

Black Panther, Jan 26, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

can't type inside Microsoft command prompt boxes, Windows 10 deactivated! and I can't find...

How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

1. can't type inside Microsoft command prompt boxes, Windows 10 deactivated! and I can't find... - Similar Threads - can't type inside

2. I can't type anything into the password box of the Microsoft Account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't type anything into the password box of the Microsoft Account.: I turned on my computer and I got locked out because I can't type anything into the password box. I tried using On-Screen-Keyboard and nothing worked.System Information:Lenovo Thinkpad M81 PCProcessor: Intel Core i3-3220 CPURAM: I don't know but I have 10GB of RAM....
  3. I can't type anything into the password box of the Microsoft Account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't type anything into the password box of the Microsoft Account.: I turned on my computer and I got locked out because I can't type anything into the password box. I tried using On-Screen-Keyboard and nothing worked.System Information:Lenovo Thinkpad M81 PCProcessor: Intel Core i3-3220 CPURAM: I don't know but I have 10GB of RAM....
  4. Windows 10 reinstall can't type on login screen during install, can type in command prompt...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 reinstall can't type on login screen during install, can type in command prompt...: My friend decided to do a fresh install of his windows 10, he had some issue with his ram as one of his cards wasn't working. he set everything back up finally made it through the install program and was confronted with a log in screen. He cant type in the boxes. he can type...
  5. Can't open command prompt cmd on windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open command prompt cmd on windows 10: Hi, So, recently I've had this weird bug that I can't open my command prompt in normal mode or admin, the only way to open it is if I create a new user on my computer, this way I can open it but only in the new user session. When trying to open it it flashes, opens and...
  6. Can't type in windows 10 search Box

in Cortana
    Can't type in windows 10 search Box: After the update of windows 10 I can't type in the search box. I tried a lot of method to fix this problem,but they doesn't work. Please tell me some solution to fix this problem....
  7. I can't login into windows. Can't reset or use command prompt

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I can't login into windows. Can't reset or use command prompt: The sign in page won't appear. I tired doing a startup repair but its giving me an error. D:\windows\system32\logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt I tired to reset and use command prompt and it's asking me for my password. I'm typing the correct password but it's still coming...
  8. I can't login into windows. Can't reset or use command prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't login into windows. Can't reset or use command prompt: The sign in page won't appear. I tired doing a startup repair but its giving me an error. D:\windows\system32\logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt I tired to reset and use command prompt and it's asking me for my password. I'm typing the correct password but it's still coming...
  9. Can't boot to command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot to command prompt: Hi, I am trying to boot into the command prompt to reset a password. However, none of the function keys including escape allows me into the BIOS. I am using a wired keyboard and function keys do not have a toggle on/off option. I have restarted with the SHIFT key and it won't...
  10. command prompt can't start

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    command prompt can't start: Hi, I am using windows 10. it's updates, and i got that new thing called windows shell( i guess its instead of cmd) my problem is that command prompt doesn't run. when i press on the cmd or try to run it from the run window, as administrator, or even try "start cmd" from...