Windows 10: Can't unmute microphone

Discus and support Can't unmute microphone in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; The issue looks complicated, so I will try to start from the beginning. I have my external USB camera with built in microphone. Untill recently I used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/arlantaniar, May 23, 2020.

1. Can't unmute microphone

The issue looks complicated, so I will try to start from the beginning.

I have my external USB camera with built in microphone. Untill recently I used it in my Skype and Zoom conferences with no problems. However couple of days ago I suddenly started to experience problems with microphone. When I try to record anything via Windows recorder or participate in Skype or Zoom conference my mic is not catching a sound and noone can hear me. Though the application can identify the device, input level is zero.

The strange thing is when I try to check audio preferences in Skype (only, not in Zoom) I can see normal input level from my microphone. If I try a test call directly from Skype-Settings-Audio & Video, I can hear myself - so the mic is working; However I dont hear myself when I try to call the same free test call from my contact list if the Skype settings window is closed.

Thus, my microphone is fine, but something is with Windows preferences.

I ran a troubleshooting and it said that my mic is muted. In sound - recording - levels I actually see that my mic is muted and level is at the minimum (-68,5 db), however I can not do anything with it - neither raise the level, nor click on the mic icon.

In my privacy-microphone settings Skype is granted access to microphone.

I have Windows 10 version 1909, Skype version is 8.56.0.102 (Application version 14.56.102.0). I get back to the previous version of windows (1809), still no changes.

I didnt install any software recently (i did update PSU for my PC, but I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with it). I've checked sound devices in winx device manager and there is no problem with it, it shows that mic is working properly; drivers are up to date. The microphone is set to default.

I checked the "Control Pannel - sound - recording" pannel. I have no indication of any sound from my microphone. However, if I open Skype - Settings - Audio & Video, then I can see a clear indication of sound from my mic in "Control Pannel - sound - recording" pannel. It is really strange.

I've ran through antivirus scans through Windows Defender and Avast (now i am running Kaspersky just in case) - there is nothing. I also ran through Ccleaner registry fix utility - it didnt help either. I

Can anyone help?

Thank you

submitted by /u/arlantaniar
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/arlantaniar, May 23, 2020
  2. Erika Aro Win User

Can't unmute microphone?

Hi,

In general, the microphone is on mute. We'd like to clarify following steps that you've done and ask you a few questions:

• When you unmute the microphone, is it via Recording tab under
      Recording devices?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Are there any newly installed applications that may have caused this?
    • Is this an on going issue or recent?

Erika Aro, May 23, 2020
  3. unmute microphone in taskbar

Hi Ruth,

This issue might have been caused by a misconfigured settings or incompatible driver. For us to unmute the microphone, please follow these steps:

• At the system tray, right-click on the volume icon.
    • Select Recording devices.
    • On the Sound window, make sure that you are on the Recording tab.
    • On the list of recording devices, double-click on your microphone device.
    • Properties window will open. Click on Levels tab.
    • Increase the Microphone slider to maximum.
    • Click the speaker icon next to it to unmute the microphone.
    • Click on Apply, and then click on OK to save changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Janeane Cru, May 23, 2020
  4. Can't unmute microphone

Can't unmute microphone?

My microphone slider is stuck at 0 and the speaker icon is muted. If i try to move the slider or unmute the speaker icon it just goes back to 0. Help?

Mahaffeyb20, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Can't unmute microphone

1. Can't unmute microphone - Similar Threads - Can't unmute microphone

2. Cannot unmute Microphone on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot unmute Microphone on Windows 11/10: [IMG]In this article, we will show you what you can do if you cannot unmute the microphone on Windows 11/10. This issue might happen due to hardware or software issues on Windows PCs. Cannot unmute Microphone on Windows 11/10 If you cannot unmute the microphone on Windows...
  3. I can't unmute my microphone in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't unmute my microphone in Windows 10: Hello,I can't unmute my microphone. When I go into Microphone Properties/Levels, the speaker icon under Microphone Array shows a red bar/slash. But nothing happens when I click on it. I can't toggle it back on. I've checked drivers, enabled everything, but I still can't...
  4. I can't unmute my microphone in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't unmute my microphone in Windows 10: Hello,I can't unmute my microphone. When I go into Microphone Properties/Levels, the speaker icon under Microphone Array shows a red bar/slash. But nothing happens when I click on it. I can't toggle it back on. I've checked drivers, enabled everything, but I still can't...
  5. I can't unmute my microphone in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Microphone is muted on multiple headsets - can't get it to "unmute"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone is muted on multiple headsets - can't get it to "unmute": I have tried two headsets and am getting the same issue, so I'm thinking it might be an issue with the PC and not the headphone. Basically, the microphone does not work on either headset or on the internal PC microphone. When I go into the audio settings and test the...
  7. Microphone is muted on multiple headsets - can't get it to "unmute"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone is muted on multiple headsets - can't get it to "unmute": I have tried two headsets and am getting the same issue, so I'm thinking it might be an issue with the PC and not the headphone. Basically, the microphone does not work on either headset or on the internal PC microphone. When I go into the audio settings and test the...
  8. Microphone is muted on multiple headsets - can't get it to "unmute"

9. Cannot unmute my microphone

Cannot unmute my microphone: So I've done lots of research into why no audio was being picked up from my microphone. I've also used the troubleshoot feature to find out what was wrong. This ended up telling me that my device was muted, which I though was strange.Eventually, I went to microphone...
  10. Headset Microphone wont unmute.

Headset Microphone wont unmute.: I purchase this headset and have been using it on with my Windows 10 laptop since November and it's been working fine. I updated my laptop on 02/14/2021 and could not unmute my mic since. The headset is connected through usb. there is an adapter that allows me to mut and...