Windows 10: Can't unpin app from Start

Discus and support Can't unpin app from Start in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I can't unpin an app from the Start menu Here's a gif of what (doesn't) happen [img] 12581 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by danielvonluchau, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Can't unpin app from Start

Hello, I can't unpin an app from the Start menu

Here's a gif of what (doesn't) happen

Can't unpin app from Start [​IMG]

:)

danielvonluchau, Aug 3, 2015
  2. LCRT Win User

Outlook Mail & Calendar

you can't delete the mail app.

what you did was unpin it from the start screen. find it in the app list and pin it again.

LCRT, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Entegy Win User
    How do I get rid of apps, like xbox live games?

And you can't just unpin it from the Start screen and ignore the Games Hub? No one's forcing you to play games on your phone. You can't remove the built-in apps on the other platforms either.

Entegy, Aug 3, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Can't unpin app from Start

That's strange. If it's a shortcut to a normal program, it should have context menu entries such as "Uninstall" and "Open File Location".
    I believe that I'm onto something, but I'll verify it before suggesting it to .

5. Kallb123 Win User
    Some other forum posters and I also have this problem. Pinning and unpinning does nothing until a reboot or restarting the explorer.exe process.

Kallb123, Aug 4, 2015
  6. Halmo Win User
    I have this same problem, which I discovered when "pin to start" didn't seem to work. But I don't have it on another computer running Windows 10 that I had updated from the Technical Preview. Anyone know why pin to start needs a reboot to show results?

Halmo, Aug 9, 2015
  7. Kallb123 Win User
    Restarting explorer.exe is a quick fix that's meant to be temporary. The problem just disappeared for me and now everything works fine. Sorry I can't tell you what fixed it, I didn't do anything :/

Kallb123, Aug 10, 2015
  8. Ludvig Win User

Hey, so i got the same problem i was pinning a .exe file to start but it did not work, just a gray little box but what is much more annoying is that i cant unpin it again, it dosent do anything at all and it stays there even after restart of system and explorer.exe. Do anyone have an idea to fixing this glitch? Please comment and sorry for misspells english isn't my native language.

Ludvig, Aug 10, 2015
  9. Ludvig Win User
    I just tried to pin it again from a shortcut of the exe file and it disapeared

Ludvig, Aug 10, 2015
  10. videodj Win User
    I had/have the same issue, are you running Kaspersky? There is an issue with Kaspersky, that breaks the start menu, there are aware, but not sure how long until a fix will be out.

videodj, Aug 10, 2015
  11. Halmo Win User
    I am running Kaspersky. I hope they fix this SOON

Halmo, Aug 11, 2015
  12. robgr Win User
    You'll also notice that while KIS is starting pinning/unpinning works correctly and then as soon as app finishes starting (after around 1 minute) then the issue appears
    This is a PITA but restarting Explorer process is fine for now I guess

robgr, Aug 11, 2015
  13. Halmo Win User

Got some Windows 10 patches installed today and now pin and unpin seems to work OK.

Halmo, Aug 12, 2015
  14. robgr Win User
    It's been suggested elsewhere that KB308142 (SR1) fixes this. I got this on 6/8 but in my case it hasn't fixed the issue.
    Does anyone know if there is fix/KB that refers to this issue?

robgr, Aug 12, 2015
  15. videodj Win User
    I had the updates installed yesterday and the start menu now works as it should, will keep on eye on it for a few days to ensure it doesn't break again.

videodj, Aug 14, 2015
Thema:

1. Can't unpin app from Start - Similar Threads - Can't unpin app

2. Is there a way to unpin an app from desktop, but not from start?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to unpin an app from desktop, but not from start?: Hi!I would like to know if there is a way for me to remove an app from my desktop. The only options I found to do that hid every app from view. Is there a way to just hide one? Thanks....
  3. Is there a way to unpin an app from desktop, but not from start?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to unpin an app from desktop, but not from start?: Hi!I would like to know if there is a way for me to remove an app from my desktop. The only options I found to do that hid every app from view. Is there a way to just hide one? Thanks....
  4. Unpin tiles from Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unpin tiles from Start menu: Hi, I have a question How can I unpin all tiles from the Start Menu using a batch script or registry editor in Windows 10 20H2 175931
  5. Can't unpin from start menu

Can't unpin from start menu: A few months ago, I could unpin from start, but now when I unpin something, it comes back every time I shut down my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-unpin-from-start-menu/84d8eb39-c74d-45d0-b093-e167399f8d17
  6. Can't pin or unpin apps to the taskbar!

Can't pin or unpin apps to the taskbar!: My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 13 7000, updated to Windows 10 Home version 1083. I am having trouble pinning and unpinning apps to my taskbar. The issue is a bit hard to explain, but I will try my best to describe it. I've also attached screenshots to help clarify. When I...
  7. Can't unpin a tile from Start

Can't unpin a tile from Start: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Pro and can't unpin a tile from Start.. someone please??! 55130
  8. Unpin tile from "Start"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unpin tile from "Start": Hello,Cannot unpin an old tile from Start.Click on it does not open any program, right click on it has two options:Unpin from start - does not work, or Resize - working. I can also relocate it, but it refuses to go.Made a search on the internet, tried some answers but its...
  9. Alternative methods for unpinning from Start?

in Windows 10 Support
    Alternative methods for unpinning from Start?: I don't know if this is a bug or fluke, but I had two Office 2016 apps pinned to Start in Win10. Later, I uninstalled Office 2016. Instead of the two pinned items also disappearing, they stuck around, but now they're just blank squares that (of course) do nothing. The...
  10. Unpinning apps from the Start Menu ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Unpinning apps from the Start Menu ?: So, am I just stupid or when I right click an app and choose "Unpin from Start" the app is still in the Start Menu and works no problem, am I just missing something or there is no way to get rid of pinned apps ? Also I read somewhere that when you right click a blank space...