Windows 10: Can’t Update, Access Settings, Reset PC and more

Discus and support Can’t Update, Access Settings, Reset PC and more in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, my Brother has been having continuous issues recently and we dont know what to do. 1 He can’t access settings, powershell or troubleshooting.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mad x Stormz, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Can’t Update, Access Settings, Reset PC and more

Hello, my Brother has been having continuous issues recently and we dont know what to do.

1 He can’t access settings, powershell or troubleshooting. Attempting to access any of these programs even with admin will close the app immediately.

2 Updates and Resets fail. Using Update Assistant since we cant access settings we tried installing the October update but it would reach 100% and fail immediately. Trying to reset results in a blue screen.

3 Trying cmd doesnt do much either, either health check and health repair also failing rather quickly.

I dont know what is causing the problem but advice is appreciated also scanning detects no viruses or malware.

:)

Mad x Stormz, Nov 8, 2020
  2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Nov 8, 2020
  3. Windows is not activated following "reset this pc"

Thank you @NavyLCDR, I tried your suggestions but still have the same issue.
    @Superfly, My main issue is the fact that sppsvc.exe won't start and throws the Error 5 (Access Denied). I tried changing permissions, taking ownership etc. but still have the same issue.

I guess my next step is another restore :-(. I assume you mean a fresh install because the original issue was caused after I clicked "Reset this PC" option in system settings?

the5krunner, Nov 8, 2020
  4. Ikaruga Win User

Can’t Update, Access Settings, Reset PC and more

router logs DoS attack from a local PC....

Well you did not say that you don't really know what you are doing. It's not a problem of course, but it changes things a little.

It's not even clear if the PC or the router is the problem at this time, so I suggested that you disable some unnecessary things which are usually known to cause many problems, sorry if those were too complicated.

• You could reset some network related stuffz on the PC as a next step. Open an elevated command prompt (run as administrator), and enter the followings on the PC:
      netsh int ip reset reset.log
      netsh int ipv6 reset
      netsh winsock reset
      netsh branchcache reset
      netsh advfirewall reset
      (note: You can export your current firewall rules in the "group policy" before the reset if it's needed for some reason)

• Btw, Would it be a problem to reset the router to the default settings if the things we are trying will not help? There is a menu point for that called "factory settings" (and also a little hole on the back if you prefer that one).. the Administrator username in the router after the reset would be admin and the password is probably on a sticker at the bottom of the router (special settings needed to go online with your ISP might be also necessary)
      This is not needed now (not yet), but perhaps the source of the problem is at the router and not the PC in question, so we may come to that eventually.
    ps.: Do you have a second network card you could test in that PC and a different cable to rule out some hardware issues on the PC side?

Ikaruga, Nov 8, 2020
Thema:

Can’t Update, Access Settings, Reset PC and more

1. Can’t Update, Access Settings, Reset PC and more - Similar Threads - Can’t Update Access

2. Can’t access my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t access my PC: I am looping, i have access to NOTHING. no safe mode. sfc,dism and chkdsk does not work. restore, repair, reset, rollback does not work. i am at a loss for what to do? i cannot access windows and am stuck with only advanced repairs and have no solution. any answers?...
  3. Can’t access my PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t access my PC: I am looping, i have access to NOTHING. no safe mode. sfc,dism and chkdsk does not work. restore, repair, reset, rollback does not work. i am at a loss for what to do? i cannot access windows and am stuck with only advanced repairs and have no solution. any answers?...
  4. Can’t access my PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can’t reset PC and don’t have access the WIFI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t reset PC and don’t have access the WIFI: I’m having troubles with my PC for example it can’t find identify my graphics card and it can’t detect my wifi adapter and so I tried everything with the CMD so I tried resetting my PC but was given an error code that told me “There was a problem resetting my PC”. I found the...
  6. Can’t reset PC and don’t have access the WIFI

Can’t reset PC and don’t have access the WIFI: I’m having troubles with my PC for example it can’t find identify my graphics card and it can’t detect my wifi adapter and so I tried everything with the CMD so I tried resetting my PC but was given an error code that told me “There was a problem resetting my PC”. I found the...
  7. Can’t reset pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t reset pc: Hey I just bought a pc off Facebook and I connected it and noticed it had an account on it already. Well I tried to reset the pc because I didn’t know the password, well what I did was press shift and restart and then I would try to press reset and my screen just goes black...
  8. Can’t reset pc

Can’t reset pc: Hey I just bought a pc off Facebook and I connected it and noticed it had an account on it already. Well I tried to reset the pc because I didn’t know the password, well what I did was press shift and restart and then I would try to press reset and my screen just goes black...
  9. Reset pc/gain access to settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reset pc/gain access to settings: I was experiencing issues with the internet connection over different networks so i decided to reset the pc (windows 10) while choosing the option of simply deleting the apps and keeping the files. BIG MISTAKE. Although I kept my files I was left with NO programs at all - not...
  10. No access to settings, edge, updates, and more

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No access to settings, edge, updates, and more: I am frustrated. Any quick fix other than trying reset, restore, reinstalling...…..I have no apps, my computer has appeared to duplicate things...….errors across the board. Just took a few screen shots. I have ran sfc/scannow and dism /clean image and even put the repair...