Windows 10: Can't update to 2004/20H2 Windows think i am running on a USB stick

Discus and support Can't update to 2004/20H2 Windows think i am running on a USB stick in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Almost 2 years ago i cloned my OS HDD instead of using a image because i had done it in the past without problem and also due to lack of space to put... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Xutos, May 4, 2021.

1. Xutos Win User

Can't update to 2004/20H2 Windows think i am running on a USB stick

Almost 2 years ago i cloned my OS HDD instead of using a image because i had done it in the past without problem and also due to lack of space to put the image. After the clone was done i swapped their place inside my pc and which drive to use to boot in the bios. Used the pc like that for a couple days to see if it was working with the old drive inside with the old OS before formatting it. Since everything looked fine i formatted my old drive but without me noticing it was booting using the EFI on my old drive so the next day i was greeted with a BSOD. I don't remember if i tried changing the boot manager in the bios never having deal with that and knowing what the EFI was that's where i made the mistake that still is a problem to this day. Using a usb drive that i that i had made using the Media Creation Tool before i used it to go into command prompt. Using my phone to find command to create a new EFI but not knowing what the hell i was doing instead of following exactly what was written, i was like that's the wrong drive letter that's not where i need it wanting to copy it after creating it. I made the mistake of entering the command so it would make the EFI on my usb drive, now i was able to boot into windows but i found out it would not boot without the usb drive now. I redid the same thing but i put it on my C: this time which was still wrong but was able to boot without the usb drive plugged in. But i was still getting message on boot that i could loose data by unplugging the OS even thought it was not longer plugged. At some point i followed all the directive and properly "i think" recreated my EFI in my EFI partition this time but windows still think its booting from a usb stick/drive. Hate using command prompt outside of windows when they built my pc they installed using French (France) instead of (Canada) so i get azerty keyboard layout when typing outside the OS instead of qwerty. Since it was working fine anyway i let it be. At some point i had the option to upgrade to 2004 but since i was not sure of the stability with it i waited then the option was not there anymore. Now trying to using the update assistant or media creation tool to update to 20H2 it tell me i can't upgrade it on a USB. I don't know if i will get the option to update it if i wait until 1909 reach it's end of life or not, this is maybe also what it preventing it from showing up in windows update. For 1903 to 1909 i had to use the enablement package past its end of life to get the update. I was not thinking this would become a problem since i was planning to build a new pc but with covid and the shortage of part i am stuck with it for now. Am not sure this is the right place to post it since it is more or less related to the update process hoping someone can help me fix it without a having to reinstall and loosing my data and having to re download and fix my game install on my other drive too i don't feel like wasting many hours doing that when i already don't have enough time. Sorry for the wall of text i always have been bad at writing and structure and using self taught english by playing games not that's its better in my native language lol. If logs or screenshot of drive partition are needed just tell me which software to use. 1909 OS build 18363.1500

:)

Xutos, May 4, 2021
  2. SaiZo Win User

Is it possible to run Windows 7 from an USB stick?

No. It will run only on the media center. He wants a 32Gb USB stick to be "sure" all updates, all programs (VLC, Winamp etc.) will fit. The stick will remain in the media center all the time. The local hardware guy suggested Windows 8, but I haven't even tested that as yet. The media center can have harddrives connected to it, perhaps it would fit an SSD, but since he has a 2Tb drive already.. Why get an SSD if it can be run from an USB stick?

SaiZo, May 4, 2021
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, May 4, 2021
  4. Can't update to 2004/20H2 Windows think i am running on a USB stick

windows 10 2004 update and now 20H2 error 0xC1900101

No I have more or less given up. The suggestions given by the "experts" on here have all proven to be hopeless. I have even tried to clean install windows 10 via the media creation tool and the computer would not boot from the usb though it does from the usb recovery media created. As soon as I have the funds then this computer will be consigned to the scrapheap. Even Lenovo have been useless and it seems support from Microsoft for 1909 will be ending soon with no update from them as to why the upgrade from 1909 to 2004 and 20H2 will not happen with this computer. Have had suggestions it could be the processor from others elsewhere.

Graham Ackrill, May 4, 2021
Thema:

Can't update to 2004/20H2 Windows think i am running on a USB stick

1. Can't update to 2004/20H2 Windows think i am running on a USB stick - Similar Threads - Can't update 2004

2. Can't use USB stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't use USB stick: Hello,I have a problem with USB stick.When I click on its drive letter in Windows Explorer, I am told to insert a disk into USB drive. I can't format it. Disk management says that it is online. What should I do?The problem happens on two computers, with slightly different...
  3. Windows 2004 Will Not Update to 20H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 2004 Will Not Update to 20H2: My Lenovo thinkpad will absolutely refuse to update to Windows 20H2 and i've been stuck on 2004 for months and months, every attempt with the below error.I have tried updating as Domain Admin, Updating all drivers, Using the Windows upgrade tool to update, Disabled firewall...
  4. Windows 2004 Will Not Update to 20H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 2004 Will Not Update to 20H2: My Lenovo thinkpad will absolutely refuse to update to Windows 20H2 and i've been stuck on 2004 for months and months, every attempt with the below error.I have tried updating as Domain Admin, Updating all drivers, Using the Windows upgrade tool to update, Disabled firewall...
  5. Windows 2004 Will Not Update to 20H2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Windows 2004 and 20h2 installed but running on 2004

Windows 2004 and 20h2 installed but running on 2004: Still running on 19041.804 Windows 2004 despite have 20H2 apparently installed according the system update but cannot find on control panel the KB related to the 20H2 installation package . Windows update is trying to install something but I'm having the message : "Error...
  7. I think Windows 10 2004/20H2 is causing my USB-C ports to not function on my laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I think Windows 10 2004/20H2 is causing my USB-C ports to not function on my laptop: Wondering if anyone else is having this issue, or better yet, has solved it. The machine in question is a Dell Precision 7720, with a Skylake i7 and Alpine Ridge TB3 controller. Noticed USB-C acting weird when 2004 was pushed, and as of 20H2 it works maybe 20% of the time...
  8. I am not able to update my Windows from 2004 version to 20H2

I am not able to update my Windows from 2004 version to 20H2: So, as you understood, I find it impossible for me to update my Windows from 2004 version to 20H2. I've tried updating from Settings. This has always led to BSOD with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA sign and following error code, which I found in the update log in Settings:...
  9. Stick with 1909 or update to 2004?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stick with 1909 or update to 2004?: I recently realized that I never updated to 2004 and Windows never really tried to make me update to 2004. I remember there being problems with 2004 when it came out. Should I stick with 1909 or upgrade? (I have a Gigabyte Aero 15 X9 in case it is relevant; AERO 15 (RTX 20...
  10. Can't upgrade to 2004 or 20H2

Can't upgrade to 2004 or 20H2: Hi, For several months now, I've been getting offered the W10 2004 update, and it's always failed to install. Today I got offered the 20H2 update and that also failed. I've run SetupDiag and the results are: Error: SetupDiag reports rollback failure found. Last Phase =...