Windows 10: Can't update virus and protection updates from Windows Defender.

Discus and support Can't update virus and protection updates from Windows Defender. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; For a while, maybe 3 or 4 years I was using Norton as my anti-virus software of choice. A few months ago I ditched it in favor of the free Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AdrianHolmberg, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Can't update virus and protection updates from Windows Defender.

For a while, maybe 3 or 4 years I was using Norton as my anti-virus software of choice. A few months ago I ditched it in favor of the free Windows Defender. However, after it warned me that the threat protection was out of date, I decided to update it. The problem. It seems to be broken. I have waited several hours for it to "update". I have attached some screenshots of what I am experiencing. Can't update virus and protection updates from Windows Defender. 9790ad04-722f-4ed1-8959-0c9dd19c5ea7?upload=true.jpg Can't update virus and protection updates from Windows Defender. a6103d34-9b15-422c-a49f-7f762af05088?upload=true.jpg

:)

AdrianHolmberg, Apr 26, 2020

2. Cannot turn on Windows Defender virus protection

I had the same sort of symptoms. In the Windows Security Center, under Virus and threat protection, it said "Your virus & threat protection is managed by your organization."

Can't update virus and protection updates from Windows Defender. wm5Jc.png

I note you mentioned the Registry Keys under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows Defender. Nice spotting, but it seems like there is another key that is causing the problem for some users.

Steps to a solution:

1. Press the Windows key and type "regedit"
    2. On the regedit icon that appears, right-click and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Navigate to the folder located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender (You can paste this into the address box at the top of the window, or navigate manually using the side directory structure)
    4. In this folder, there are probably two keys. Right-click and Delete the DisableAntiSpyware key.
    5. Exit regedit, and return to the Windows Defender settings screen (refresh it if necessary). Windows Defender should have the scan options available and working.

Solution adapted from here, with a much more detailed solution here.

MechtEngineer, Apr 26, 2020
  3. Windows update and windows defender issues

We suggest you to avoid installing any cleaner or anti-virus software that may interrupt the function of Windows Defender. Make sure that Windows Defender is always on. To do this follow these steps:

• On the Start menu, type Windows Defender and hit enter.
    • Click Settings.
    • Turn Real-time protection on.
    We also recommend you to install the latest update for Windows Defender.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Apr 26, 2020
  4. Le Boule Win User

Can't update virus and protection updates from Windows Defender.

windows defender virus protection

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender (WD) will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

For further information see the Answer of quietman7
    - MVP
    in windowsdefender wont turn on

If the issue continues you may want to follow the steps in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

For more detailed recommendations to help resolve various Windows Defender issues see the Answer of GreginMich in failing to install updates

You might also want to review http://www.howtogeek.com/220232/how-to-use-the-built-in-windows-defender-antivirus-on-windows-10/ Good
    article but ignore the ads!

If you can't get this problem resolved suggest you post back in this thread and provide additional information.

Alternatively - - -

You may prefer to install a third party antivirus program (which should disable Windows Defender).

There are a number of viable free and paid options available – take your pick.

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/antivirus-partners#AVtabs=win10

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them. | Emsisoft | Security Blog

Le Boule, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

Can't update virus and protection updates from Windows Defender.

1. Can't update virus and protection updates from Windows Defender. - Similar Threads - Can't update virus

2. Does window defender protects viruses from websites?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does window defender protects viruses from websites?: I want to watch Asian movies and dramas for free without having viruses on my pc.So is it okay to open websites like viki, crunchyroll and so on.Which is the best website to watch without having viruses?Does the window defender protects our pc if the websites contain viruses?...
  3. How to stop this notification "Update virus protection" in Windows Defender?

How to stop this notification "Update virus protection" in Windows Defender?: So now and then I receive a notification to update the virus definitions inside Windows Defender. It looks like this:I want to stop it as it's really annoying. I know that security updates are very important. So, I want to know a way to either automatically update the virus...
  4. Virus & threat protection / Windows Defender update failed

Virus & threat protection / Windows Defender update failed: My virus & threat protection would not update and stated "Protection definitions are out of date." Check the Windows Update first and try to download and install all updates first. This did not work for me. [ATTACH] Here was my fix that worked for me: Complete the...
  5. Can't use Windows Defender (Virus and threat protection)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't use Windows Defender (Virus and threat protection): Hey! First, I apologize for any orthographic or grammatical mistake, as my first language is spanish. For context, I had downloaded an antivirus recommended by CNET (I think), called Avira, but after a few weeks of use, I started to feel like my computer was slowing down, as...
  6. Can't update Virus protection

Can't update Virus protection: Good day My System centre security endpoint protection does not complete the update? What is the problem is it blocked? Status potentially unprotected. Thank you...
  7. Can't update Defender virus definitions

Can't update Defender virus definitions: I keep getting the following error if I try to update the virus definitions in Microsoft Security Essentials "The virus and spyware definitions didn't update (Date and Time) because of an internet or network connectivity problem. If I try to update through windows update I...
  8. Virus protection on windows defender

Virus protection on windows defender: My virus protection on windows defender will not scan as it states that I am using another provider although I have not subscribed to any other provider . This is a recent occurrence (2 days) . Any ideas?...
  9. Windows Defender protection updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender protection updates: hi there: I am posting from Taiwan and my Windows 10 time is set to Taiwan time. As I went to Windows Security Center and under protection updates, I noticed that the version created is in Taiwan time but under last update, it states 4/14/2019... You can see from the...
  10. Windows defender Virus Protection

Windows defender Virus Protection: I had uninstalled Third Party Antivirus Software after its validy After that I can not able to switch on Windows Defender Virus Protection . It is showing message your virus and protection is managed by your organization Pl help to restore the setting by switching on...