Windows 10: Can't update Windows 1903 on surface tablet Stuck on Please insert external media

Discus and support Can't update Windows 1903 on surface tablet Stuck on Please insert external media in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to update Windows 1903 on Surface tablet. I didn't have enough space on hard drive, so used a thumb drive as external media. It got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MAB68123, Sep 16, 2019.

1. MAB68123 Win User

Can't update Windows 1903 on surface tablet Stuck on Please insert external media

I am trying to update Windows 1903 on Surface tablet. I didn't have enough space on hard drive, so used a thumb drive as external media. It got through the first reboot ok but now is stuck on "Please insert external media." Inserting the thumb drive and clicking doesn't help. Comes back with same error message. Won't shut down except with power button. When reboots, still has same message. Doesn't seem to matter whether thumb drive is in or out when rebooting. Can't get it into safe mode. What to try next?

:)

MAB68123, Sep 16, 2019

2. Stuck at "Please insert the external storage media and press ok"

I have a Windows 10 tablet with only comes with 32GB internal memory. I was trying to upgrade to the latest Windows 10 creator's update using USB thumb drive, somehow it stuck at a bootload message: "Please insert the external storage media and press ok".
    I try to remove the thumb drive and reinserted but no response. I plug the thumb drive into my Windows 10 updated compute, it says cannot recognize the device. Nothing that I can do. Though I have a 32GB sd card. How can I fix this?

Chu ZhenMok, Sep 16, 2019
  3. juanrizo Win User
    Stuck at "Please insert the external storage media and press ok"

I have a Windows 10 tablet with only comes with 32GB internal memory. I was trying to upgrade to the latest Windows 10 creator's update using USB thumb drive, somehow it stuck at a bootload message: "Please insert the
    external storage media and press ok". I try to remove the thumb drive and reinserted but no response. I plug the thumb drive into my Windows 10 updated compute, it says cannot recognize the device. Nothing that I can do. Though I have a 32GB sd card. How can
    I fix this?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

juanrizo, Sep 16, 2019
  4. Can't update Windows 1903 on surface tablet Stuck on Please insert external media

Bush A1 windows tablet stuck at restarting.

Hi Carl,

I am sorry to know that you are unable to boot the tablet.

• What is the model of the tablet?
    • Did you make any changes prior to this issue?

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• On a working PC, go to the
      Microsoft software download website
      and create
      Windows 10 installation media.

• Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.

• On the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer. (If you’re not seeing this screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to boot from media, and
      then try again.)

• On the Choose an option screen, select
      Troubleshoot. Select Advanced Options > Startup Repair.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 16, 2019
Thema:

Can't update Windows 1903 on surface tablet Stuck on Please insert external media

1. Can't update Windows 1903 on surface tablet Stuck on Please insert external media - Similar Threads - Can't update 1903

2. Error: X Please insert the external storage media and press OK

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error: X Please insert the external storage media and press OK: I have a ACER Aspire 1 Laptop. I’ve tried pressing ok multiple times but it would just result in to a loop with a ACER loading screen. I can’t get out of it and I have no I idea what to do....
  3. Error: X Please insert the external storage media and press OK

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error: X Please insert the external storage media and press OK: I have a ACER Aspire 1 Laptop. I’ve tried pressing ok multiple times but it would just result in to a loop with a ACER loading screen. I can’t get out of it and I have no I idea what to do....
  4. Please insert the external storage media and press ok

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please insert the external storage media and press ok: Hi I just upgraded my windows 7 to 10 but when I restart my laptop it shows the error please insert the external storage media and press ok please help me to reset my pc and login...
  5. Please insert the external storage media and press ok

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please insert the external storage media and press ok: Hi I just upgraded my windows 7 to 10 but when I restart my laptop it shows the error please insert the external storage media and press ok please help me to reset my pc and login...
  6. Please insert the external storage media and press ok

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Black screen - please insert the external media and press ok

Black screen - please insert the external media and press ok: How big of an external drive do I need for windows pro but is home use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-please-insert-the-external-media-and/13b7bd69-7d17-4c55-be6c-c16d676f35fc
  8. Error please insert the external storage media and press ok

Error please insert the external storage media and press ok: I was wondering if anyone could help. Ive been recieveing the error message (the one in the title) and it stays on a black screen and nothing happens i cant click on anything as my windows wont load. Ive got a acer aspier. I recently contacted MS support to fix this issue but...
  9. Error: please insert external media...

Error: please insert external media...: [ATTACH]this is what I'm getting and I can't click open or close anything what do I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-please-insert-external-media/d3d4a0bf-5dcd-4f6d-9f26-32a711f3b96f
  10. Error:please insert the external storage media

Error:please insert the external storage media: I'm getting this : error: Please insert the external storage media and press ok ......black screen in background and the " loading dots going in circles"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1903 stuck surface

2. cannot update to 1903 says please insert the external storage media